• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You load 16 tons and what do you get....

sudden valley gunner

The topic of of the horrors of the company store and why we needed government to fix it was brought up. My name was mentioned because how dare I think the government solution made things worse.

Of course since I didn't use Wikipedia as my source as the poster did and only use obscure sources nobody cares about......I must be wrong.

Well here's a great paper on the subject, and the references are pages long, written by an economic historian. http://www.nber.org/papers/h0105.pdf?new_window=1

Again to address some of the fallacies of the argument presented, I do not believe that unfettered liberty is all smooth sailing, there always will be problems ....the fallacy is thinking the government solves these problems and doesn't make things worse.

The paper points out how mobile people were and how in most company ran towns the competition to keep workers improved the lives and gave more to the labors.

It shows how these laws passed (like most laws) because of the company stores who wanted them, not because of protection of the workers, the workers had no lobby or political power.

The poster who makes these claims also posts that somehow libertarians aren't seeing reason and he can't argue with them, nope the reason you can't argue with them is because you can't counter the logic and history.

Last edited:

OC for ME

It is not a conversation per se, this thread is a reasoned and researched rebuttal to a semi-false assertion by EMNofSeattle. he typically uses emotion to force his point of view into the realm of logical discourse. On this particular front, this threads title, he has been shown to be less than educated but thoroughly indoctrinated.

Brace

If I can't get a job with the 6 degrees I'll have by next summer I intend to go on for a PhD.

sudden valley gunner

It is not a conversation per se, this thread is a reasoned and researched rebuttal to a semi-false assertion by EMNofSeattle. he typically uses emotion to force his point of view into the realm of logical discourse. On this particular front, this threads title, he has been shown to be less than educated but thoroughly indoctrinated.

+1

It's the typical anti thinking (anti liberty, anti gun, anti etc) grab and latch on to the rare occurrences or the minority as a rationalization to then subject the majority to tyranny.