• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What retention level is your OC holster?

What retention level is your OC holster?

• Level 1

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Level 2

Votes: 24 55.8%
  • Level 3

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Level 4

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters

ATM

Campaign Veteran
Zero would have been a good choice rather than lumping us into "other".

Most do not consider friction to be a retention level, though it is all that's required to keep the handgun from falling out of the holster when I do cartwheels. ;)

JustaShooter

I'm not even sure how to determine retention levels for my holsters - I have a Crossbreed with only friction retention, and a Fobus that likewise just has "friction" but the Fobus requires almost perfectly straight pull with a "snappy" draw to overcome the retention. Is my Crossbreed a Level 1 or Level 0 / Other? How about the Fobus?

I've also heard that some holster makers advertise retention levels that don't agree with (i.e are inflated) because they count retention differently than others. Is there a standard way of ranking retention, or not?

Iridium

My OC holster is a Serpa level 3. I carried concealed for 10 years before Oklahoma passed OC beginning November 2012. Being new to OC, I didn't know what to expect so I felt more comfortable with the extra security. Level 3 is what I am used to now for OC, but that is my personal preference.

mobiushky

I'm not even sure how to determine retention levels for my holsters - I have a Crossbreed with only friction retention, and a Fobus that likewise just has "friction" but the Fobus requires almost perfectly straight pull with a "snappy" draw to overcome the retention. Is my Crossbreed a Level 1 or Level 0 / Other? How about the Fobus?

I've also heard that some holster makers advertise retention levels that don't agree with (i.e are inflated) because they count retention differently than others. Is there a standard way of ranking retention, or not?

Short answer, no. There is no standard way of ranking and no defined meaning for levels. So I say my holster is a level 23. With some training and some extra protein it's been working to achieve level 24. I'm rooting for it! LOL.

Kopis

I think the OP should have defined each level of retention in the poll. I use a friction comptac holster usually but on the bike i carry a blackhawk with push button.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
Retention levels aren't clearly defined. As I understand it the number refers to the number of retention devices that need to be employed in order to remove the firearm. So apparently all my holsters are level 1.

OC for ME

Snap strap on my DeSantis Viper, and a trigger latch on my Serpa CQC. I don't/didn't pay attention to the number, the method/mechanism was the selling point for me.

Iridium

Here's a link to a page used as a reference in the Wikipedia entry for "Handgun holster".

http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Conway/duty_holster_considerations.htm

" Levels of retention

The retention level of the holster refers to the number of retention devices you have to release or move the gun past in order to draw the pistol from the holster:

An example of a level l holster would be a simple thumb-break device that must be unclipped in order to draw the weapon.

A Level ll holster example is one where a thumb-break is released then the pistol must be moved (rocked forward or rearwards) in the holster to clear some form of internal locking device before it can be drawn.

A Level lll holster is one where three separate retaining devices, both internal and external must be undone or bypassed."

Just one of the differing definitions out there.

I also have two friction retention only holsters that I use when I conceal in waist band.

OC for ME

Blackhawk states that my CQC is a level two, but only one mechanism is activated to release the firearm. As I stated, I chose based on the "mechanism" type and not the claimed retention level.

Slade McCuiston

My OC holster is a Serpa level 3. I carried concealed for 10 years before Oklahoma passed OC beginning November 2012. Being new to OC, I didn't know what to expect so I felt more comfortable with the extra security. Level 3 is what I am used to now for OC, but that is my personal preference.

Similar to why I chose my Safariland 6360 with SLS and ALS systems. While I hadn't concealed, I was unsure of what to expect when open carrying. My granddad, a staunch Democrat and a LEO, was very outspoken about me not carrying openly. He cited that I would be 'challenged,' or my gun could be taken away from me, et cetera. My dad, on the other hand, (also a LEO) was rather indifferent. He is a hardcore Republican and belongs to the 'it's your right' crowd. Both of these guys carry, but chose to carry concealed.

After talking with my dad about duty holsters he revealed that our department's standard is a 6280 SLS-only holster from Safariland. Unsure of what it would be like to open carry, I felt I needed more retention (incorrectly, it seems). It was very slow to draw from at first, but after a while of using it, I've got the draw times very near to that of a thumb-snap. If I could do it over again, I'd chose the same holster. Very tough, smooth draw, and the SLS hood sits between the hammer and the firing pin (another issue my Granddad had was Cocked and Locked carry, believe it or not).

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I've always considered my MTAC to be a level 2 because it has basic friction retention and a thumb-break strap. From reading the above, I guess that some would discount the holster's friction and consider the MTAC's retention to be at Level 1. Would a Serpa, with only the release button, be considered Level 1 or 2? The looseness of the definition creates some confusion.

mobiushky

I've always considered my MTAC to be a level 2 because it has basic friction retention and a thumb-break strap. From reading the above, I guess that some would discount the holster's friction and consider the MTAC's retention to be at Level 1. Would a Serpa, with only the release button, be considered Level 1 or 2? The looseness of the definition creates some confusion.

That's because there is no "official" definition for "levels" of retention. You get to define the Levels as you see fit to provide an effective marketing campaign so people will want to buy your holsters. That's not a knock on any of the manufacturer's. It's a commentary on the constant need from people to have their choices justified by someone else. Maybe that's too deep for this thread, but the bottom line really is, what type of holster do you feel comfortable with? That's perfect, stick with it. Who cares which brand defines your holster as which level?

Slade McCuiston

That's because there is no "official" definition for "levels" of retention. You get to define the Levels as you see fit to provide an effective marketing campaign so people will want to buy your holsters. That's not a knock on any of the manufacturer's. It's a commentary on the constant need from people to have their choices justified by someone else. Maybe that's too deep for this thread, but the bottom line really is, what type of holster do you feel comfortable with? That's perfect, stick with it. Who cares which brand defines your holster as which level?

I consider friction to be one level of retention. Retention can be defined by what keeps something in place. If it stays in the holster due to friction alone, that is one retention level. I really wish they'd standardize the levels, but you know what they say: "Wish in one hand..."

I agree. Find a holster you're comfortable with and carry. Don't worry whether it's a 2 or a 3. Are you comfortable with it's security?

EtdBob

The holster in the picture is one of the ones I use.
With the hammer thong snugged down tight the retention level is %##^*(*@(!!!

With it off I guess its a 1?
Sits firmly enough that I've never lost a gun when on an unruly galloping horse with the thong off. I have yet to try carrying with a thong on....

Attachments

• PA250006.jpg
    PA250006.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 161

EMNofSeattle

I am not familiar with what the word "level" means in this context.

if it means number of devices then all of my OC holsters are level 1.

for the revolver I own three holsters, two nylon with a snap strap, and one thumbbreak clam shell type holster.

and for the glock I own a serpa holster. I have a blade tech holster with no retention but I only wear that to GSSF matches.

and I have a glock sport combat holster with no retention device, but I use that as a concealment holster so I count my coat as a level of retention.

solus

The holster in the picture is one of the ones I use.
With the hammer thong snugged down tight the retention level is %##^*(*@(!!!

With it off I guess its a 1?
Sits firmly enough that I've never lost a gun when on an unruly galloping horse with the thong off. I have yet to try carrying with a thong on....

with your thong off, on a galloping horse, are you portraying Lady Godiva? and never lost your gun...i'm impressed !!

ipse

Fallschirjmäger

Safariland 6378 which I'm told is "Level 2-like" according to Safariland.
TheTruthAboutGuns.com
The 6378 model is level 2-like retention with a belt paddle included alongside the belt loop. (This is the sole difference between the 6377 and the 6378: The 78 comes with the paddle in addition to the belt loop, all at no extra charge. The importance of this is discussed below.) It should be noted that according to the Safariland rep I spoke with, the ALS holsters do not conform to the level 2/3 system, and thus can’t be classified as such. If you serve as a LEO and you are looking for a holster that absolutely must be level 2/3 compliant, you’ll have to look elsewhere.
productSafariland6378_LGlarge.jpg

Adding an ALS guard should kick it up another notch.
23-2466.jpg

I don't have any qualms about it, it's the same system being worn by a plainclothes unit of the local PD.

Fallschirjmäger

Retention levels aren't clearly defined. As I understand it the number refers to the number of retention devices that need to be employed in order to remove the firearm. So apparently all my holsters are level 1.
I always knew it wasn't just a "what mechanism or number or devices used" criteria used to establish retention levels but never really did much study.
Doing a web-search, I came across Safariland's relating of the history - Levels of Retention complete with a video by Bill Rogers.
http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/info/retention.aspx

Last edited:

Elm Creek Smith

My "work" holster is a thumbbreak G&G high-rise holster that I wear on my duty belt for my 4 inch S&W Model 686. My off-duty carry is a thumbbreak Bucheimer "Concealer" worn on a 1.75 inch belt for my 3 inch S&W Model 13. I also have a Speed Safety "Spring" holster (adjustable tension) with a safety strap that I use cross-draw on a 1.5 inch belt for my nickel-plated S&W Model 37 with buffalo horn grips when I'm not going anywhere near the highway or town. Most of the time, the safety strap is in my holster drawer. I also have a Bianchi thumbbreak for my 4 inch S&W Model 10 standard barrel for walking in the woods. Weapon retention training is a plus as is a good knife to cut people away from your gun.

ECS