• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesterfield Chippers

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The policy in the Chesterfield PD has changed.
It used to be up to the Officer as to seizing a weapon for officer safety when making a traffic stop.

Now it's mandatory to take it when the check shows a CHP, or when they see one.

So Chippers be warned....Now all us lowly OC'ers have to do is stuff it in a secure container and keep our mouths shut.:banana::p:monkey
We're Special !

Last edited:

mpguy

It used to be up to the Officer as to seizing a weapon for officer safety when making a traffic stop.

So Chippers be warned....Now all us lowly OC'ers have to do is stuff it in a secure container and keep our mouths shut.:banana::p:monkey
We're Special !

Guess there are advantages of being on this side of the water..:D

2a4all

We're Special !
I know you have "sources", but how did you come to learn this?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So if I have mine locked in the trunk or the glove box, they can now search my car just for a CHP???

I doubt it Taz, if it's accessible according to the policy as I understand it, it's to be taken. I doubt they will search for any of them...just ask and since they already know you have a CHP, they will ask.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Chesterfield PD is turning into one of the most aggresively anti gun/RKBA agencies in the state - and the problem as well as the solution begins at the top.

Sorry Col. but the buck stops here.
f9ce581c-ffd3-4057-924a-b4249f18bc6a.jpg

Where does this mandatory disarmament begin and end? It seems clear that traffic stops are fair game, BUT how about if I have a break-in and call for an officer, or have a consensual conversation at a quick stop?

Sorry sir, but I must disarm you for officer safety before I can take your report or tell you what time it is. :mad: :banghead: :cuss:

Last edited:

va_tazdad

Say it ain't so?

Chesterfield PD is turning into one of the most aggresively anti gun/RKBA agencies in the state - and the problem as well as the solution begins at the top.

Sorry Col. but the buck stops here.
f9ce581c-ffd3-4057-924a-b4249f18bc6a.jpg

Where does this mandatory disarmament begin and end? It seems clear that traffic stops are fair game, BUT how about if I have a break-in and call for an officer, or have a consensual conversation at a quick stop?

Sorry sir, but I must disarm you for officer safety before I can take your report or tell you what time it is. :mad: :banghead: :cuss:

We are getting as bad as Henrico. I thought they only hired Fascists for school administrator positions. 8>(

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

We're Special !

So, just to understand this correctly... If I am stopped by Chesterfield (or any other VA PD), and the 10-27 comes back that I have a CHP, and I tell the officer that I am NOT carrying, does the officer have the right to search my vehicle to verify that? Does the existence of my CHP give the officer RAS to perform a warrant-less search?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So, just to understand this correctly... If I am stopped by Chesterfield (or any other VA PD), and the 10-27 comes back that I have a CHP, and I tell the officer that I am NOT carrying, does the officer have the right to search my vehicle to verify that? Does the existence of my CHP give the officer RAS to perform a warrant-less search?

What I said James, was that in Chesterfield, the policy was that the officer was to seize the weapon. The officers no longer have the option of not taking it as in the past. This is a new Chesterfield policy.

The policy change was directed at people who have CHP's because that will notify the officer. I'm sure they will take any weapon they see or are told about CHP or not.

Nothing in the policy says anything about searches but I believe they have the authority to search the immediate area for weapons if thy feel like it.....Officer Safety!

They have no way to know if a non CHP has a weapon or is likely to have one, other than ask.

It's illegal to lie to the cop but you don't have to answer either.

Officer: Sir, do you have any weapons?
Oc'er: You're perfectly safe officer, the most dangerous thing I have is my sharp wit.:rolleyes:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
What I said James, was that in Chesterfield, the policy was that the officer was to seize the weapon. The officers no longer have the option of not taking it as in the past. This is a new Chesterfield policy.

The policy change was directed at people who have CHP's because that will notify the officer. I'm sure they will take any weapon they see or are told about CHP or not.

Nothing in the policy says anything about searches but I believe they have the authority to search the immediate area for weapons if thy feel like it.....Officer Safety!

They have no way to know if a non CHP has a weapon or is likely to have one, other than ask.

It's illegal to lie to the cop but you don't have to answer either.

Officer: Sir, do you have any weapons?
Oc'er: You're perfectly safe officer, the most dangerous thing I have is my sharp wit.:rolleyes:

I demur ... I would not want the officer to seize my wit, sharp or otherwise, for his own safety. :)

Seems to me we all read earlier of the case where someone was stopped for speeding and then arrested for having a firearm in their vehicle. (I'll have to research that thread.) Again, my question is if the 10-27 returns the existence of a CHP, does that give the officer "permission" to search the vehicle even if I tell him/her truthfully that I am not carrying, concealed or otherwise?

You are certainly justified in your glee that non-CHPers will only risk firearm seizure if they are openly and visibly carrying or if they volunteer that information ... and it is unsettling that the existence of a background-checked, law-abiding citizen would be subject to increased scrutiny v. one who is simply exercising their Virginia Constitutional Right of OC.

I guess that's one one of the downsides of getting a CHP and being entered into their database...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
to increased scrutiny v. one who is simply exercising their Virginia Constitutional Right of OC.

I guess that's one one of the downsides of getting a CHP and being entered into their database...

Digging deeply between the lines and hidden behind my wit :uhoh: ...that was really my point as well as to notify people that their gun will be taken during a detention, in Chesterfield.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Digging deeply between the lines and hidden behind my wit :uhoh: ...that was really my point as well as to notify people that their gun will be taken during a detention, in Chesterfield.

Peter, I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but the nut of my question is: In your opinion, does the existence of a CHP give the Chesterfield (or any other cop) the RAS to search me or my vehicle?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Peter, I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but the nut of my question is: In your opinion, does the existence of a CHP give the Chesterfield (or any other cop) the RAS to search me or my vehicle?
Not IMO, but that may not stop him.
http://www.pagunblog.com/2011/12/29/does-a-concealed-gun-reasonable-suspicion/

http://www.volokh.com/2011/12/29/do...eapon-create-reasonable-suspicion-of-a-crime/

Remember if he asks you if you are carrying, you must answer honestly. You may chose to play words games (avoidance) but that may attract other charges - impeding an investigation - or at least lengthen your detainment.

The vehicle search is much more fraught with problems. I will not consent to such w/o a warrant.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

IMO James...they don't need RAS for a pat down or quick search of where you're sitting, but anything more thorough than that they need a Search Warrant....and no, just the existence of a CHP does not give them RAS or really anything other than...... "this fellow has a CHP so I need to ask him."