Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodbridge, Va. mom charged after firing gun into air to scare off daughter’s attacke

Woodbridge, Va. mom charged after firing gun into air to scare off daughter’s attacke

"A Woodbridge woman was arrested after she shot a handgun into the air to scare off a group of boys who were attacking her daughter. Lakisha Gaither, 35, said she fired a single round into the sky from her legally registered gun Saturday night after a boy punched her daughter in the face during a dispute near their home. “I just wanted this group of guys to disperse,” Ms. Gaither said. “I didn’t know what they were going to do. I wanted him to stop hitting my child.”

“You can’t fire into the air,” Officer Perok said. “Once something goes up, it comes down. There’s the possibility of causing property damage, injuring someone or killing someone. In an apartment complex, the odds of that bullet coming down and striking something are very high.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...air-to-scare-/

The odds are, in that cops vernacular, infinite that the bullet will come down and strike something. And, like a shot fired inside an aircraft, quite unlikely to do material damage. ~10^-7
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-23-2013 at 08:34 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    "A Woodbridge woman was arrested after she shot a handgun into the air to scare off a group of boys who were attacking her daughter. Lakisha Gaither, 35, said she fired a single round into the sky from her legally registered gun Saturday night after a boy punched her daughter in the face during a dispute near their home. “I just wanted this group of guys to disperse,” Ms. Gaither said. “I didn’t know what they were going to do. I wanted him to stop hitting my child.”
    When did Virginia start registering handguns?
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    When poor reporting infiltrated the media. Same way they describe it as a shooting - "The shooting occurred at 9:20 p.m. in the 13600 block of Cridercrest Place.". She fired the gun; shooting implies that a person was shot.....I know, semantics. Just more bad reporting that leads the reader to the wrong understanding.

She should know that warning shots are never authorized. You only fire the gun in self defense or the defense of another. If she felt that her daughter was going to meet with serious bodily injury or death by the assault, she should have shot the attacker.
    Last edited by ProShooter; 10-23-2013 at 08:44 AM.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    ". She fired the gun; shooting implies that a person was shot
    They may be.....They're still waiting for the bullet to come down

Watch the skies Officer Perok......that'll be your job from now on.
    Last edited by peter nap; 10-23-2013 at 09:08 AM.

but But BUT.... Crazy Uncle Joe Biden said we could!!! This is NOT FAIR!!! I'm calling Uncle Joe and we will see about this!!!

ok I'm done
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Diealotz View Post
    but But BUT.... Crazy Uncle Joe Biden said we could!!! This is NOT FAIR!!! I'm calling Uncle Joe and we will see about this!!!

ok I'm done
    Uncle Joe only said we could shoot double-barrelled shotguns through doors, or up in the air on our back porches.

What we need is User to again remind us that warning shots are going to always get us into trouble, but if we purposely shoot the person creating the imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury we will most likely (on certain days when you hold your tongue just right and the wind is coming from the correct direction, etc.) get off with just some hefty legal fees. And maybe getting sued by the shootee or their heirs and assigns.

On a kinder, more gentle note, perhaps if more folks did that instead of firing warning shots there would be fewer imminent threats.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

In a 10 on 2 situation brandishing would have been called for, in such a way as you were aiming for the main aggressor. The situation would have either gotten better, the boys dispersed, or worse. In which case, opening fire would have been justified as well.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Uncle Joe only said we could shoot double-barrelled shotguns through doors, or up in the air on our back porches.

What we need is User to again remind us that warning shots are going to always get us into trouble, but if we purposely shoot the person creating the imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury we will most likely (on certain days when you hold your tongue just right and the wind is coming from the correct direction, etc.) get off with just some hefty legal fees. And maybe getting sued by the shootee or their heirs and assigns.

On a kinder, more gentle note, perhaps if more folks did that instead of firing warning shots there would be fewer imminent threats.

stay safe.
    This is why I my Taser!

She fired a justified shot at the perp to stop the threat of her daughter getting ready to be severely assualted. Sorry she was a terrible shot, and missed the target...She aimed a little high..
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawg View Post
    She fired a justified shot at the perp to stop the threat of her daughter getting ready to be severely assualted. Sorry she was a terrible shot, and missed the target...She aimed a little high..
    It's not like the highly trained and motivated cops have never missed. I wonder where their boolits went?

stay safe.
    I called Crazy Uncle Joe and he said that you are wrong and I can fire shot out of my rifle or pistol into the air. So take it up with Crazy Uncle Joe

OK I'm done again
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Yeah, she's lying, she's a dimwit.

If she'd have just clammed up and not ADMITTED she fired a shot (or where and how) she would not have been arrested.

And if she could 'step away' from the argument she was not in danger and her daughter wasn't also - thus she's lying.

I'm really surprised Daniel is representing her - but, truth is she needs help, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawg View Post
    Ding, Ding, Ding....We have a winner. Never fire a warning shot You feared for your life, you fired and missed.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    I heard insurance companies were demanding registration due to the huge number of firearms lost in boating accidents.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Unhappy

It's not like the highly trained and motivated cops have never missed. I wonder where their boolits went?
    In NY the stray bullets from cops go into innocent's in the area....

stay safe.
    Spot on.

"One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that 'violence begets violence.' I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure -- and in some cases I have -- that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy." -Jeff Cooper, "Cooper vs. Terrorism", Guns & Ammo Annual, 1975

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    Ding, Ding, Ding....We have a winner. Never fire a warning shot You feared for your life, you fired and missed.
    See, that's insightful.

Does anyone remember Clayton Moore's portrayal of the Lone Ranger? It always amazed me how the guy could expertly shoot the gun out of the bad guy's hand -- no muss, no fuss.

That's Science Fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    See, that's insightful. Does anyone remember Clayton Moore's portrayal of the Lone Ranger? It always amazed me how the guy could expertly shoot the gun out of the bad guy's hand -- no muss, no fuss. That's Science Fiction.
    yeah well, they all carried Fifty-six-shooters too, the old horse opera heroes. Thanks GOoDness that's the TV I was reared on, and not post-modern colorful noisy sound and fury signifying nothing.

Yeah I have no idea why people TELL the cops 'I fired one in the air'. Just ignorance, I guess...or listening to Uncle Biden.

I really think had she just shut up she'd not have been arrested. How do you prove someone fired a gun into the air unless they admit it or volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    ... How do you prove someone fired a gun into the air unless they admit it or volunteer.
    Gun Shot Residue is definitive and probative.

Founder's Club Member
    Serious question...

Ok, given she should have fired into the ground and not into the air.

There you are, your daugher is surrounded by several guys, who are assaulting her. They are clustered around her and beating the crap out of her. You unholster your "legally registered firearm (sic)" and want to protect her. You can't fire directly at the assailants because they are clustered around her and in your shaking adrenalin induced state fear that you will strike her instead of said assailant(s). What do you do?

Close to cranial contact. The road to Hell is paved with what-ifs.

I doubt it. There has to be RAS to examine someone's gun. How do they know who had a gun. The woman was on foot. Even so who's to say it wasn't fired recently at a range? There's no evidential link to follow. If she had kept her mouth shut they got nuthin'.
    Last edited by Maverick9; 10-23-2013 at 05:54 PM.

GSR on the perp's hands.

epends on the county/judge

Quote Originally Posted by jegoodin View Post
    Serious question...

Ok, given she should have fired into the ground and not into the air.

There you are, your daugher is surrounded by several guys, who are assaulting her. They are clustered around her and beating the crap out of her. You unholster your "legally registered firearm (sic)" and want to protect her. You can't fire directly at the assailants because they are clustered around her and in your shaking adrenalin induced state fear that you will strike her instead of said assailant(s). What do you do?
    I would fire a shot (into the ground for attention and so you know where it lands) and claim that I was aiming at the offender whom I felt was causing me to fear for my life and the life of my daughter. No law against that in a 10-2 situation, and in Surry county, the judge will dismiss the charge.

Remember what to tell the police and stick to it. I WAS IN FEAR FOR MY LIFE, (REPEAT OFTEN)
    Last edited by va_tazdad; 10-24-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast