Thread: Cali Court of Appeals decision will tear apart families

Cali Court of Appeals decision will tear apart families

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/201...ct-semi-autos/

From David Hardy's "Arms and the Law":
    Decision here, in pdf. The court essentially seizes upon Heller language saying the right has some limits, and proclaims that semi-autos, or at least "assault rifles," are at least as "dangerous and unusual" as the short barreled shotgun involved in Miller.

The inclination of the court is obvious. The situation probably indicates how essential it is to "develop a record" at the trial level. What proportion of firearms are "assault weapons"? One of the answers is that over 20% of current rifle production is by manufacturers who make nothing but AR-platform rifles.
    1 - I hope to heck that "assault rifles" (no, not the select-fire ones that actually describes but the "assault weapons" the gun laws refer to via cosmetic features) are at least as dangerous as Miller's sawed-off shotgun

2 - 20%+ remains "unusual"? Just how much of a portion of the total does it need to become un-unusual? And just how much money do they think we have what with the current recession and the threat of rising health care insurance premiums? Do they really expect me to give up buying milk and cereal for the kiddies so I can afford to buy enough AR/AK-platform semi-automatic rifles to make them "common"? (Well, I really don't have a problem with that as I have no kiddies, but some folks might and might also run into a "discussion" with the other adult in the family over that plan. If that happened theere would be even less money available due to the sudden need to pay alimony and child support.)

Seriously - do those justices really not think these things through?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    If I recall, in Heller II, the dissenting opinion noted that same .. that ARs are not "unusual".

These judges must think that the color black is magical.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    If I recall, in Heller II, the dissenting opinion noted that same .. that ARs are not "unusual".

These judges must think that the color black is magical.
    Well...duh ....its the color of their robes.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned
    I blame Harry Potter (and democrats of course)

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Of course black is "magical". Look at the "magic" they use while wearing those robes to make our "rights" disappear!
    LOL.....
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/201...ct-semi-autos/

From David Hardy's "Arms and the Law":

1 - I hope to heck that "assault rifles" (no, not the select-fire ones that actually describes but the "assault weapons" the gun laws refer to via cosmetic features) are at least as dangerous as Miller's sawed-off shotgun

2 - 20%+ remains "unusual"? Just how much of a portion of the total does it need to become un-unusual? And just how much money do they think we have what with the current recession and the threat of rising health care insurance premiums? Do they really expect me to give up buying milk and cereal for the kiddies so I can afford to buy enough AR/AK-platform semi-automatic rifles to make them "common"? (Well, I really don't have a problem with that as I have no kiddies, but some folks might and might also run into a "discussion" with the other adult in the family over that plan. If that happened theere would be even less money available due to the sudden need to pay alimony and child support.)

Seriously - do those justices really not think these things through?

stay safe.

In he Miller case, it was ruled that the tax could be levied because the short barrel shotgun did not have any military use.
    Unless I missed something.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)