• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cali Court of Appeals decision will tear apart families

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/20...s-second-amendment-doesnt-protect-semi-autos/

From David Hardy's "Arms and the Law":
Decision here, in pdf. The court essentially seizes upon Heller language saying the right has some limits, and proclaims that semi-autos, or at least "assault rifles," are at least as "dangerous and unusual" as the short barreled shotgun involved in Miller.

The inclination of the court is obvious. The situation probably indicates how essential it is to "develop a record" at the trial level. What proportion of firearms are "assault weapons"? One of the answers is that over 20% of current rifle production is by manufacturers who make nothing but AR-platform rifles.

1 - I hope to heck that "assault rifles" (no, not the select-fire ones that actually describes but the "assault weapons" the gun laws refer to via cosmetic features) are at least as dangerous as Miller's sawed-off shotgun

2 - 20%+ remains "unusual"? Just how much of a portion of the total does it need to become un-unusual? And just how much money do they think we have what with the current recession and the threat of rising health care insurance premiums? Do they really expect me to give up buying milk and cereal for the kiddies so I can afford to buy enough AR/AK-platform semi-automatic rifles to make them "common"? (Well, I really don't have a problem with that as I have no kiddies, but some folks might and might also run into a "discussion" with the other adult in the family over that plan. If that happened theere would be even less money available due to the sudden need to pay alimony and child support.)

Seriously - do those justices really not think these things through?

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
If I recall, in Heller II, the dissenting opinion noted that same .. that ARs are not "unusual".

These judges must think that the color black is magical.

Freedom1Man

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/20...s-second-amendment-doesnt-protect-semi-autos/

From David Hardy's "Arms and the Law":

1 - I hope to heck that "assault rifles" (no, not the select-fire ones that actually describes but the "assault weapons" the gun laws refer to via cosmetic features) are at least as dangerous as Miller's sawed-off shotgun

2 - 20%+ remains "unusual"? Just how much of a portion of the total does it need to become un-unusual? And just how much money do they think we have what with the current recession and the threat of rising health care insurance premiums? Do they really expect me to give up buying milk and cereal for the kiddies so I can afford to buy enough AR/AK-platform semi-automatic rifles to make them "common"? (Well, I really don't have a problem with that as I have no kiddies, but some folks might and might also run into a "discussion" with the other adult in the family over that plan. If that happened theere would be even less money available due to the sudden need to pay alimony and child support.)

Seriously - do those justices really not think these things through?

stay safe.

In he Miller case, it was ruled that the tax could be levied because the short barrel shotgun did not have any military use.
Unless I missed something.