• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Because we're trained"

77zach

The biggest thing for me about this is that we're not allowed to protect our children in government schools, only the "trained authorities" are which is a sick joke, as proved by common sense and countless negligent and human acts by the hero class.

Da Rat Bastid

When I was a teacher, the difference between education and training was explained this way: When your kid attends health class do you want him or her to get sex education or sex training?

As the saying goes, why not both?

*beat*
*watches with no real surprise as eye95's head asplodes*

I suspected as much. :(

ADDENDUM: High school, yes. Earlier....eh, not so much. I just realized that, when I made the post originally, I was pondering how many people have an overly broad definition of "kid".

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
As the saying goes, why not both?

*beat*
*watches with no real surprise as eye95's head asplodes*

I suspected as much. :(

ADDENDUM: High school, yes. Earlier....eh, not so much. I just realized that, when I made the post originally, I was pondering how many people have an overly broad definition of "kid".

Ya know the old saying: those that cannot do, teach.

:banana::banana::banana:

eye95

In my experience it is more like "Those who can, teach. Those who can't, do". It takes a far more intimate understanding of a topic to be able to teach it than it does to do it.

meh. (Not to you, to the comment to which you are responding.)

It likely does not believe what it posted or, more likely, doesn't care. This was just another of its lame attempts to insult me. I just let the comment go, because its behavior was far more insulting of itself than its words were of me. My goal, these days, is to help it make itself look bad to everyone else. That usually requires very little effort!

Teaching requires the ability to do, to motivate, to explain, to lead... Doing only requires the ability to do. Teaching gets a bad rap because a large minority of people hired to teach cannot do, cannot motivate, cannot explain, cannot lead...and cannot give a crap that they cannot.

Brace

A brilliant teacher and idiot students is closer to socially optimal than an idiot teacher and brilliant students, which is closer to socially optimal than an idiot teacher and idiot students; and thank goodness given the statistical distribution of intelligence. K-12 teachers are often there because of job security rather than capability, some professors are like this. Most professors are at least marginally more intelligent and passionate than the average graduate in their field. They end up in professorships because they like being around other intelligent people and because the unintelligent people the average workplace is filled with don't like being around them. It is appalling to me how anti-intellectual even very white collar professionals tend to be. You would think it was impossible to learn anything at all from a book if you listened to many of these people.

Last edited:

OC for ME

A brilliant teacher and idiot students is closer to socially optimal than an idiot teacher and brilliant students, which is closer to socially optimal than an idiot teacher and idiot students; and thank goodness given the statistical distribution of intelligence. K-12 teachers are often there because of job security rather than capability, some professors are like this. Most professors are at least marginally more intelligent and passionate than the average graduate in their field. They end up in professorships because they like being around other intelligent people and because the unintelligent people the average workplace is filled with don't like being around them. It is appalling to me how anti-intellectual even very white collar professionals tend to be. You would think it was impossible to learn anything at all from a book if you listened to many of these people.
Professors are marginally more learned, exposed to information than most folks, is a better description. When your day is devoted to absorbing information instead of being a productive member of society you tend to gain a higher level of accumulated information.....intelligent, not hardly. I have not met very many professors that were smarter than i, more learned in their field of study, certainly, but not smarter.

Also, most of academia is comprised of liberals and thus are devoted to an ideology and the advancement of their ideology, facts and figures be damned.

Brace

Professors are marginally more learned, exposed to information than most folks, is a better description. When your day is devoted to absorbing information instead of being a productive member of society you tend to gain a higher level of accumulated information.....intelligent, not hardly. I have not met very many professors that were smarter than i, more learned in their field of study, certainly, but not smarter.

Also, most of academia is comprised of liberals and thus are devoted to an ideology and the advancement of their ideology, facts and figures be damned.

In order to be able to absorb and understand certain things you need a higher than average level of intelligence. The functions of a professor don't directly entail intelligence but they do indirectly hint at intelligence, or some other quality sufficient to substitute for it. Again, my exact words were "at least marginally more intelligent". Meaning, if you take A: the average IQ of all people with a Masters in Business Administration, and B: the average IQ of all professors with a Masters in Business Administration, B > A. Likely not by a lot, and there will be outliers in both categories, but by some quantity.

You're also suggesting that the functions of a professor lack any aspect of value creation at all which is insane.

Most of academia is comprised of liberals for a number of reasons. First of all, liberalism is a more diverse range of ideologies than conservatism. Secondly, it is less principled, mostly as a consequence of purporting to deal more heavily in facts. Conservatives rest on concepts like rights, will argue that laissez faire economics is ideal on the basis of pure logic such as using Austrian Economic arguments, and will use these alleged first-principles as a substitute for observation or forcibly fit empirical data to these principles. Not to say that liberals don't ever do the same, but lacking principles, they have less opportunity to do so. Most liberal positions have a specious plausibility that appeals to those who are just smart enough to be concerned with ideas but either too lazy or not intelligent enough to think all of the way through them. This incidentally describes the vast majority of college students. Liberalism has been the traditional consequence of the development of academic thought, so this is also the background into which modern day intellectuals enter academia, although it admittedly doesn't account for why Liberalism took hold in colleges to begin with. Lastly, conservatives simply refuse to engage in direct debate on the points and issues modern academia is concerned with and so they've largely self-selected themselves out of all modern debates, opting instead to create insipid echo chambers where they can repeat the words of long dead men to each other to see who's memorized more of them. I guess that could be intelligence, in the same way an autistic obsession with trains can be intelligence. Although it's worth noting that liberals have done the same thing concerning very nearly all ideas about human nature, only without even using an echo chamber to preserve them, ostensibly in atonement for the atrocities of the 20th century, but ironically as with the conservative abdication, leaving these subjects to more dangerous minds as a consequence.

Besides which, being wrong isn't a sign of lack of intelligence. Much the opposite in this context; only the intelligent dare to explore and hence to misstep.

Last edited:

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
Ya know the old saying: those that cannot do, teach.

I believe the cliche you're misquoting here is: "Those who can, do; those who cannot, critique."

The best way to learn something is to try to teach it to someone else. It takes a much deeper understanding of a topic or skill to teach someone else to do it. Parenting is an excellent example of this, as well as an excellent opportunity to experience it.

eye95

I believe the cliche you're misquoting here is: "Those who can, do; those who cannot, critique."

The best way to learn something is to try to teach it to someone else. It takes a much deeper understanding of a topic or skill to teach someone else to do it. Parenting is an excellent example of this, as well as an excellent opportunity to experience it.

Wisdom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

OC for ME

In order to be able to absorb and understand certain things you need a higher than average level of intelligence. <snip>.
The world needs professors, just ask any professor. I valued the university professors who had private sector experiences, the true academes, not so much. However, to get a good grade I had to make every professor feel like they added value to my education. Incidentally, teaching assistants were more prevalent in my classes than the professor himself.

Idiots do not become professors, but there are far too many idiotic professors.

stealthyeliminator

I'm not sure this works in every situation. Things like "gun safety" come to mind. I would much prefer someone not learn gun safety by trying to teach someone else gun safety. Maybe I'm just being nit-picky?

At any rate, I would like to think that most professors were of above average intelligence. In my experience you might be able to get away with saying "most", but it certainly wouldn't be all. Even some (if one counts as some) with PhDs come to mind to go onto the "not" list.