Thread: question about carrying at k-12

question about carrying at k-12

Washington state has an exemption to rcws restricting carry at k-12 schools, where as a ccw permit holder can carry while "picking up or dropping off a student"

no where does it mention being inside or outside the facility, or in your car or parking lot ect. (Unless I missed that rcw)

I ran across a website from the st superintendent

http://www.k12.wa.us/safetycenter/weapons/default.aspx

This site mentions the exemption, but states that these permit holders still are not allowed in the building.

direct copy and paste quote: "State law prohibits loaded firearms inside school facilities except for security and law enforcement."

At my child's public school, you must enter the office to sign out your child if leaving early for say; a doctor appointment, dentist, vacation ect.

Say I was OCing that day, and entered the office as such (obviously with my ccw on person)

Apparently these faculty are trained to think this would be illegal

Did I miss an rcw somewhere, or is this more misinformation from ill informed public servants?
    Last edited by MattinWA; 10-23-2013 at 11:18 PM.

Ok, here in WA it is a CPL Concealed Pistol Licence (not a CCW). My understanding about picking up/dropping off is you can't go inside a school building. So you would need to secure your weapon in your car if you go inside to sign your kid out.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Ok, here in WA it is a CPL Concealed Pistol Licence (not a CCW). My understanding about picking up/dropping off is you can't go inside a school building. So you would need to secure your weapon in your car if you go inside to sign your kid out.
    Rcw?

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280

RCW 9.41.280
    Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities Penalty Exceptions.

(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:
    (a) Any firearm;

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
    (e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;

(6) Except as provided in subsection (3)(b), (c), (f), and (h) of this section, firearms are not permitted in a public or private school building.

(7) "GUN-FREE ZONE" signs shall be posted around school facilities giving warning of the prohibition of the possession of firearms on school grounds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Line 6 states that you can not have you firearm in the school if you are just picking up/dropping off your child. Subsection "e" is not included in line 6 expemption.

Ahhh I see the run around now, thx for clarification.

this wasn't a theory I was willing to test, just a question I thought of a few days ago while bored.
    Threw in open carry to make it relevant.

7) "GUN-FREE ZONE" signs shall be posted around school facilities giving warning of the prohibition of the possession of firearms on school grounds.

school grounds are not school facilities so this is irrelevant
    Thx again .

Does this apply to school district buildings not used for teaching school? Administrative building that do not have #7(Posted signs).
    WA Guns
    "There is no such thing as a free lunch, but there is always free cheese in a mousetrap."

As has been covered, if you have a CPL you can have a firearm on you or in your vehicle when you pick up or drop off a student. However you can't take it inside any buildings. I would make a point of being CC if I have to step out of my vehicle, just to keep people from wetting themselves and calling the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by sirpuma View Post
    As has been covered, if you have a CPL you can have a firearm on you or in your vehicle when you pick up or drop off a student. However you can't take it inside any buildings. I would make a point of being CC if I have to step out of my vehicle, just to keep people from wetting themselves and calling the cops.
    Meh im not really concerned about how people or leo "feel" about my 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms. I dont rub it in anyones face when I carry. If someone did call, I would hope the responding officers were versed on the law, or else I might be receiving a nice little bonus .

No reason to be harassed or intimidated for following the law
    Last edited by MattinWA; 10-25-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
    Does this apply to school district buildings not used for teaching school? Administrative building that do not have #7(Posted signs).
    Common sense would make me think that just because a school district owns a building, does not always make it a school. Maintenance, admin, ect.

But common sense isnt very common anymore

Quote Originally Posted by sirpuma View Post
    I OC'd to pick up my daughter at her school because of the issues I had with school personnel, I OC'd to make a point to the school police officer, the principle and anyone else... LET THEM WET THEMSELVES !!

I OC'd a empty holster when I had to go inside the school.

Quote Originally Posted by MattinWA View Post
    Common sense would make me think that just because a school district owns a building, does not always make it a school. Maintenance, admin, ect.

But common sense isnt very common anymore
    AGO Opinion says that if a facility is being used exclusively for a school function (think: Tacoma Dome Graduations, HS ball games) then you can't carry.

http://www.atg.wa.gov/AGOOpinions/op...8#.Umstc_nVBv8