• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Norfolk CA arrested

builtjeep

Just saw a post on the VCDL Facebook page about the Norfolk CA being arrested for DUI and possession of a concealed weapon while intoxicated.

I thought CA's were exempted from that along with LEO's?

Edit: Finally found one of the threads confirming from back when the law was passed. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-bills-SB476-and-SB776-won-t-admit-he-s-wrong!

So I'm guessing those charges will be dropped, I'm sure they DUI will also find it's way into the dustbin. Nothing to see here folks, move along......

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just saw a post on the VCDL Facebook page about the Norfolk CA being arrested for DUI and possession of a concealed weapon while intoxicated.

I thought CA's were exempted from that along with LEO's?

As far as I know, LEO's aren't exempted except for the brothers in arms rule.
Henrico is famous for busting cops from other venues.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
CAs are exempt from needing a CHP in order to lawfully carry concealed.

Howsomeever, it is unlawful to carry while under the influence.
§ 18.2-308.012. Prohibited conduct.

A. Any person permitted to carry a concealed handgun who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such handgun in a public place is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. Conviction of any of the following offenses shall be prima facie evidence, subject to rebuttal, that the person is "under the influence" for purposes of this section: manslaughter in violation of § 18.2-36.1, maiming in violation of § 18.2-51.4, driving while intoxicated in violation of § 18.2-266, public intoxication in violation of § 18.2-388, or driving while intoxicated in violation of § 46.2-341.24. Upon such conviction that court shall revoke the person's permit for a concealed handgun and promptly notify the issuing circuit court. A person convicted of a violation of this subsection shall be ineligible to apply for a concealed handgun permit for a period of five years

Notice that it does not say any person carrying a concealed handgun who posseses a CHP. It applies to CAs and the Harbormaster of Hopewell and all those others who do not need CHPs, and also to those who carry concealed without lawful permission.

stay safe.

Thundar

CAs are exempt from needing a CHP in order to lawfully carry concealed.

Howsomeever, it is unlawful to carry while under the influence.

Notice that it does not say any person carrying a concealed handgun who posseses a CHP. It applies to CAs and the Harbormaster of Hopewell and all those others who do not need CHPs, and also to those who carry concealed without lawful permission.

stay safe.

Ha, what a dumbass that CA is. Everybody knows you should Open Carry when you go out drinking and driving. :uhoh: