• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut Carry - Announcement - Connecticut Weapons Registry Database Online

Rich B

From: http://ctcarry.com/Announcement/Details/585f7893-8c44-4473-ae97-12c293a747d1

Connecticut Weapons Registry Database Online
Check to see if your firearm is registered or browse by town

October 24, 2013: Connecticut Carry has added a new feature to ctcarry.com: the Connecticut State Weapons Registry Database. This database is the same database that is used to track our firearms transfers pre-2013 Gun Ban. It is an extract taken at the time of the gun ban.

Since the 2013 Gun Ban on 4/4/2013, we have had many people tell us that they want to know what firearms the State Police know about. While we are unwilling to post that data because it would potentially expose the names and addresses of people, we were willing to do the next best thing: a serial number search. If you have a firearm with a serial number, enter it into the search and see if the DESPP knows where it is.

You can also browse the database by town and see what and how many registered firearms exist in your town.

This is another step in Connecticut Carry’s ongoing commitment to provide more education and tools to our members and to the citizens of Connecticut to help fight for our rights.

Town browsing: http://ctcarry.com/WeaponsRegistry/List

Serial number search: http://ctcarry.com/WeaponsRegistry/Search

This database is being offered free to Connecticut Carry membership. If you feel that this was a worthwhile service to offer to our members, please consider making a donation to help us keep things like this running.

http://ctcarry.com/Account/Donation

If a donation is not your style, see if there is some Connecticut Carry merchandise that suits you better.

http://ctcarry.com/Store/Products

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Hi Rich,

Are you stating that this database is open to the public? Together with names, addresses, gun type owned etc?

When DESPP is hiding behind a 1-210 exemption for their list of arms?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Looking to find out whatever happened to this thread topic?? If CT carry has access to this info, who else does ie, anybody??
I was under the impression this was protected and exempt from public.-could be wrong that's why i ask for an update. thanks

ctcarry (or Ed, most likely) got it from DESPP. Want to view the record? Call up DESPP and ask to view (ask to have access to inspect any record you wish). No need to provide your name, just to inspect. If you want copies, then you have to provide your name.

But in 90% of the cases, with a request to view electronic files ~ they'll just provide you with the electronic file...they can do that..what ever is easiest for them.

I just got a preliminary decision today regarding my FOIC case 2013-032 where I ask for gun records. The FIC made a finding in my favor (regarding promptness of records) but did not like my argument where I plead that the state collects this info from us, so how could it be a safety risk and the passage of PA13-3 is actually a finding by our legislature that a safety risk is not associated with disclosure. Of course, I am seeking records from the town respondent ~ so I argue that PA13-3 is constitutional because if a risk was associated with disclosure then PA13-3 would be unconstitutional (disclosure=risk=infringement). Oh my!

I just got the 2013-032 preliminary decision today ~ need to review and file a memo of law for the full commission. Odd, the prelim decision agrees that they did improperly redact information but said "aww...it don't matter" (basically).

DESPP has recently denied me a FOIA request I filed verbally to inspect records ~ I filed a complaint that day. So, if they refuse to take your request (and ask for a lot of things heehee) you have an open and shut case before the freedom of information commission (IMO) and it costs nothing to file.

I have recently filed a verbal FOIA request to inspect records with another state agency and they agreed to provide the records in hard copy format, free. When I get it I'll post a new thread ... but it will be of interest to many ... some for laughs, others more serious.

Last edited:

Rich B

Looking to find out whatever happened to this thread topic?? If CT carry has access to this info, who else does ie, anybody??
I was under the impression this was protected and exempt from public.-could be wrong that's why i ask for an update. thanks

Your questions can be directed to info@ctcarry.com

We have released the complete dataset in our recent newsletter. Members should have seen this.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Finally had a chance to call DESPP to inspect the database records under our FOIA Act. I asked for other records too,

They denied the request and I filed a FIC complaint regarding the improper denial.

They demanded I file a written request - this was their reason for the denial. Hahahahaha ... what idiots !