• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2923.16...A Thank You Note

HEAD

First I am new here and would like to say hello to you folks who's posts i have been reading the last several days. Hello, and nice website you have here.

I am making this post to say thanks for posting so much good information on open carry. I hadn't spent enough time examining 2923.16 and realized i was transporting "improperly". Basically I had the magazine in the console or the shirt pocket and not contained. You guys saved my ass there. To explain myself, I am new to "EDC".

Previously transporting to me meant " throw the guns in the trunk and go the range or training."
Then again self defense meant being able to effectively engage anything on my property or surrounding safe firing lanes...

For me gone are the days of self defense and here are the days of family defense. Thats right happy dad here, thanks. :banana: You should have two things leaving the hospital maternity ward. A birth certificate with your signature and a glock on your hip. You no longer have the luxury or right of losing a life threatening engagement.

Anyway thanks for saving my ass and i have another question for you regarding my spare reloads on my belt. they are contained in a black hawk mag pouch like this one here http://tacticalgear.com/blackhawk-s...m_medium=sce&gclid=COWL57TlsLoCFeY-MgodLnQALA

Is the posted magazine pouch acceptable or will i have to put some paracord or something on it?

also i don't see where a holster can't be a container. does anyone just use a level 2 or three holster or am i missing something here?

Im always trying to reduce the amount of possible exposure between the public and me manipulating either the firearm or magazines.

Thanks guys

JustaShooter

i have another question for you regarding my spare reloads on my belt. they are contained in a black hawk mag pouch like this one here http://tacticalgear.com/blackhawk-s...m_medium=sce&gclid=COWL57TlsLoCFeY-MgodLnQALA

Is the posted magazine pouch acceptable or will i have to put some paracord or something on it?

Since ORC 2923.16 (K)(5)(a)(ii) states a loaded magazine must be stored in a "container that provides complete and separate enclosure", those magazine holders would not qualify, and I can't see how adding paracord would help.

also i don't see where a holster can't be a container. does anyone just use a level 2 or three holster or am i missing something here?

Well, 2923.16 (c) does state:

...the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

I could see where (3) might allow a holster as long as it was in plain sight. It will be interesting to see other opinions though.

BTW, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on transitioning from "self defense" to "family defense"!

Last edited:

eye95

Welcome.

BTW, the poster just above me is not from Ohio. I find him to be a troll, but you should make your own judgment. I just wanted to put you on alert.

Pockets for storage for your magazine are OK. Just make sure it completely closes with a snap, a button, velcro, or the equivalent.

Again, welcome.