• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bad Areas

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I have OCed in "bad neighborhoods" in Virginia (I find myself in odd places when women are involved). I would far prefer to be armed than unarmed, or for that matter CC (which is little better than being unarmed if your goal is to avoid conflict).

Most criminals are petty opportunists, rather than dedicated, hardcore thugs willing to take on any challenge in the name of being bad (and badass). This is no less true in "bad neighborhoods".

The only thing I do different in a "bad neighborhood" is to bring my spare mags with 100% certainty (sometimes I wear just the 1911 in "good neighborhoods").

Thus far, I've been left alone by criminals while OCing, whatever the neighborhood.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
"Bad" neighborhoods

The only time I have ever intentionally broken the law -- other than traffic laws -- is when I went back to my old neighborhood in Baltimore, many years ago, to visit the cemetery where many of my ancestors are buried. It's in a "bad" neighborhood where just a week before my visit a young man was shot and killed just for using a pay phone near the entrance to the cemetery. Apparently he was not of an "appropriate" ethnicity to be using that phone. Knowing this, I concealed a firearm on my person before going there. This being Maryland, I was almost more in fear of being caught carrying than I was in being confronted or assaulted. The visit was uneventful and I was very happy to return home without being approached by LEO or otherwise.

Happy now to be a citizen of the Commonwealth of Virginia where such issues are moot, but I cringe whenever I have to travel back to the state of my birth.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Open carry is about deterring crime against yourself or your family. The rest of the people in your state can either take their safety in their own hands or be victims. It is NOT your or our place to protect the public, or reduce crime.

j4l

Sorry, but that was a violation of the Three Stupids Rule.

I usually do not let my gas tank get below 1/4, but if I am going to be out in the boonies or in some city other than the one where my home is, I keep it around the 1/2 mark just so I can avoid that sort of situation.

Somewhere, sometime during the day you could have diverted to a gas station and filled up, knowing that if you let it go you would be "forced" into a bad area.

stay safe.

Agreed. And normally wouldnt have gone down like that. But the locations I was in and passing through, and the time crunches I was under having to run about, really didnt get much time/chance to go 10 miles or so out of the area (thanks,traffic-causing douuchebaggs) to get it elsewhere. Had no intentions/plans for being there as late as I was that night-but Murphy was all over us that night.

sudden valley gunner

I have OCed in "bad neighborhoods" in Virginia (I find myself in odd places when women are involved). I would far prefer to be armed than unarmed, or for that matter CC (which is little better than being unarmed if your goal is to avoid conflict).

Most criminals are petty opportunists, rather than dedicated, hardcore thugs willing to take on any challenge in the name of being bad (and badass). This is no less true in "bad neighborhoods".

The only thing I do different in a "bad neighborhood" is to bring my spare mags with 100% certainty (sometimes I wear just the 1911 in "good neighborhoods").

Thus far, I've been left alone by criminals while OCing, whatever the neighborhood.

+1 I don't let the label of "bad neighborhood" deter me from carrying how I would normally carry OC.

Of course I know that most people in a "bad neighborhood" aren't bad. Having grown up in bad neighborhoods and in some instances in some bad areas of a rez, I know most people even "bad Ones" are not about random attacks, most crimes are specific targets, if a "bad neighborhood" is providing a substance prohibited by government, harming people is bad for business. A citizen with a gun and a respectful attitude, will more than likely have the respect of a group of young people in these neighborhoods.

I do know many of the more sheltered types make themselves targets in these "bad neighborhood", it makes me laugh when they'll say something like " I just look straight ahead, avoid eye contact and keep moving", hahahaha way to make yourself a target, for a couple of different reasons, first show some respect. Second a mentality can and does occur where especially young men may be offended , and feel they gave this person no reason to be afraid of them why are they acting like this.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
I do know many of the more sheltered types make themselves targets in these "bad neighborhood", it makes me laugh when they'll say something like " I just look straight ahead, avoid eye contact and keep moving", hahahaha way to make yourself a target, for a couple of different reasons, first show some respect. Second a mentality can and does occur where especially young men may be offended , and feel they gave this person no reason to be afraid of them why are they acting like this.

What!?!?!? Are you seriously advocating treating people like . . . people!?!?!??!?

blade10

Well, here's one. And one I cant advise others to do in my situation, but I felt the area I had to be in justified it-and, thankfully, a LEO agreed with me, and let it pass without incident, but..

Was working an IT contract for a major banking/investment company,recently. They had H.Q'd their regional offices in a office/industrial park area, which was ok itself, but.. nearest places to get gas, food, etc. were a couple miles away, and in a very bad area.
Over the course of a 14 hr shift, running around to several branch areas and back, had run low on gas, and had no time to stop somewhere better to fill up, before going home, across town.

Nearest gas station to the office was smack in the center of an area in which no less than 10 murders/robberies, etc. had taken place, just in the previous week alone. You cant look 20 feet in any direction around there, when the sun goes down, without spotting a half -dozen or so Meth-heads or Crackhead zombies stumbling around.

So, no choice, really, had to get the gas. So before I did, I put my .45 on the hip, where it belongs.
But, OC is not legal here yet. So, was running a risk of a run-in with local LEOs, by doing so, but..
Sure enough, about half-way through filling my tank, a cruiser pulls right up along side me, and the Deputy just sat there, looked at me with one eyebrow raised, and pointed at my .45.

In return, I just waved my free hand in the general direction of the dozen or so zombies wandering about within 30 feet. He looked around, nodded, and "saluted" and drove off.
Could have gone either way, but.. was ready to tell him tough ****, Im having to deal with my surroundings.

Well, many have been arrested for accidentally showing in FL. Not criticizing you, but I am sure you realize there are many things you could have done differently.

Blade

blade10

The only time I have ever intentionally broken the law -- other than traffic laws -- is when I went back to my old neighborhood in Baltimore, many years ago, to visit the cemetery where many of my ancestors are buried. It's in a "bad" neighborhood where just a week before my visit a young man was shot and killed just for using a pay phone near the entrance to the cemetery. Apparently he was not of an "appropriate" ethnicity to be using that phone. Knowing this, I concealed a firearm on my person before going there. This being Maryland, I was almost more in fear of being caught carrying than I was in being confronted or assaulted. The visit was uneventful and I was very happy to return home without being approached by LEO or otherwise.

Happy now to be a citizen of the Commonwealth of Virginia where such issues are moot, but I cringe whenever I have to travel back to the state of my birth.

Like above, not criticizing your choice, but I suspect any lawyer would advise you to remove this post. While (possibly) just a misdemeanor, Im not sure of the SOL status. If convicted of carry without a permit in MD, the charges all have more than 2 years maximum, which would make you a prohibited person in the future - at least as I understand it...IANAL

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=4-203&ext=html&session=2013RS&tab=subject5

Blade