• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun turn-in, Olympia on Sat

J1MB0B

I'm going with a sign and a wad of cash. OC of course. Who else is going?

From the article:
"A gun turn in and pharmaceutical drug take back event will be held from 10 a.m to 2 p.m. Saturday at the McLane Fire Department, 125 Delphi Rd NW Olympia.

The event, intended to provide an opportunity for anyone to turn in unwanted firearms, ammunition, or pharmaceutical drugs, will be held in conjunction with the National Pharmaceutical Drug Take Back Day.

The Thurston County Department of Health will also be on site. The Thurston County Sheriff’s Office is hosting the event and will have have equipment on display.

“In 2012, 174 firearms were stolen in 106 burglaries in unincorporated Thurston County. Those guns are now on the street and unaccounted for,” Sheriff John Snaza said in a press release."

Read more here: http://www.theolympian.com/2013/10/22/2788137/gun-turn-in-planned-saturday-for.html

Difdi

“In 2012, 174 firearms were stolen in 106 burglaries in unincorporated Thurston County. Those guns are now on the street and unaccounted for,” Sheriff John Snaza said in a press release."

I can see that one going a bit wrong for a gun buyer. Receiving stolen property, perhaps?

Ken56

In a private seller/buyer transaction like these buy back gatherings how does one know the guns arn't stolen or have been used in a crime? I would love to pick up a few guns cheap like this but do not wish to aid a (possible) criminal to be able to dispose of evidence, then later if I am carrying it be the one arrested for a possible murder??

sudden valley gunner

In a private seller/buyer transaction like these buy back gatherings how does one know the guns arn't stolen or have been used in a crime? I would love to pick up a few guns cheap like this but do not wish to aid a (possible) criminal to be able to dispose of evidence, then later if I am carrying it be the one arrested for a possible murder??

The burden of proof isn't upon you. If you are that worried check the serial numbers.

J1MB0B

Look like this one will be just a turn in, not a buy back. That probably means less guns to choose from.
I heard all of negative nancy crap about buying guns at this type of event when we went to the Seattle buy back. Nothing happened to us and a few people got some awesome deals on awesome guns. If you are that scared don't go, its just more for me :cool:

davidmcbeth

Banned

Because its illegal to sell a stolen gun, you can take comfort in knowing that a gun being sold is not stolen ... from a criminal charge aspect.

Alpine

Got there at 930, went to safeway and got a bite to eat then went back to set up.

Couldn't find where the turn-in was going on as we drove around the fire department parking lot until we realized it was going on below and to the side in an attached lot. We drove in and saw the van and tables and cops, and were going to set up shop there till we saw the no-trespassing signs and couldn't tell whether it was public property or a private lot they were using. So we went out to the street entrance and parked on the side and set up our signs. I wasn't OCing as it was cold and I didn't have the right holster with me, but my friend was. No negative comments. We had some of the WA gun law pamphlets and printouts with us to hand out as well.

3 other cars joined us, met 4 cool guys, some of them had been to the Seattle buyback and we chatted about that. Friendly crowd all around. One of the guys was OCing.

However after over 2 hours of waiting not one person stopped by to sell to any of us. There was no other way in and all cars going to the turn-in passed by us, so it was probably a good spot. Most people did what we did and got confused, drove to the fire department, turned around and thus passed by our signs twice so no problem with awareness. We got a few seniors who were confused so we pointed them in to the turn-in as they were dropping off unwanted pharmaceuticals, but no one tried to sell any firearms.
20131026_103615.jpg
Hrm I just realized that first "gun" on the sign should have been plural... oh well. :lol: I must have taken that photo before we corrected it.
A guy from the fire department came over and talked to us. He didn't mind us being there. The police did not come over to see us at all. Kiro 7 had a news team there around noon but no one felt like talking to them on camera (especially after the news coverage from the Seattle buyback), so after they put the camera away we chatted with them about why we were there and our thoughts on why destroying firearms was bad from our point of view.

We left around 12:15 because it was pretty clear hardly anyone was showing up to it, and from what I saw the other guys left at the same time or shortly after.

My thoughts are:

-this place was way out in the middle of nowhere far from urban centers
-this event had not been advertised much at all in any large media
-even the signs on the road to the event mostly said "drug turn-in" and didn't mention guns in any large print
-seemed like a very local event

So I guess it wasn't surprising that hardly anyone would show up to turn in a gun. We did see one old guy right at the beginning turning in what looked like an ammo can, and another old guy with an old shotgun, but after that nothing all day.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
So what kind of drugs did you score?

lol

And the no trespassing sign seemed to have no legal affect .. you could have asked if you could enter .. asking "is this the place to hand in guns?" if said yes then "well, there is a no trespassing sign, does this apply today then?"

They would have welcomed you onto the property with open arms....

They did not offer $$$ as well, another reason for low turn out.

Alpine

Just saw on the news that the organizers claimed that they got 7 guns, which once we factor in their exaggerating and the reality of what we saw means they really got one or two, maybe 4 at the most since that's all that was shown in the news clip. It looks like they did get a full crate's worth of ammo, though not sure.