Thread: Shipping Ammo to Mass?

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va

Shipping Ammo to Mass?

I work for a small FFL in Virginia. We sold some ammo to a buyer in Mass,on a auction site. We have never run into this problem before. Is it legal to ship ammo to your state? We have noticed that alot of the larger companies will not do so. We would like to settle this before shipping. I have looked at the state site for Mass and really couldnt find an answer ( it is hazy at best). Any help you could give would be helpful.Thanks!!
    FREEDOM ISNT FREE. BUT THE UNITED STATES MARINES ARE MORE THAN WILLING TO PAY YOUR SHARE!!

Banned
    Do you think that you are under the jurisdiction of Mass.?

Shipping Ammo to Mass?

I'm not from MA but did come across https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...40/Section129C. Also saw in search that some forums stated the seller was to be licensed by MA but there were no cites. I would start at link I posted and looks like you must, at very least, verify buyer falls under the citeria specified.

Edit: Specific to sale of ammunition only: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...40/Section122B
    Last edited by shaun; 10-26-2013 at 03:36 PM.

I can tell you the angle I've heard guys explain it. I'm from MA and I frequently have to buy ammo and try to do it online when possible. I will not pretend to know the exact statute, but I can say guys have explained that there is a license/paperwork you have to file with the state to sell ammo here. That is why alot of guys won't do it over the internet. If you look at the statute that was just posted above this, the first line in it says you need a license to sell ammo. My assumption is that being out of state you can still get that license and sell to MA residents. I will ask some local guys and see if I can get a better "cite" for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000ydshooter View Post
    I work for a small FFL in Virginia. We sold some ammo to a buyer in Mass,on a auction site. We have never run into this problem before. Is it legal to ship ammo to your state? We have noticed that alot of the larger companies will not do so. We would like to settle this before shipping. I have looked at the state site for Mass and really couldnt find an answer ( it is hazy at best). Any help you could give would be helpful.Thanks!!
    No, It's not Illegal to ship ammo to MA, there's a handful of companies that ship to MA regularly. Way back the AG at the time tried to make it so out of state companies shipping ammo into MA would have to get a lic from MA to do it. It didn't work but fear led many companies to simply stop assuming it was illegal to do, it's not. Most people won't give up their sources online when it comes to the company's that ship to MA. Prior to moving to VA I used a company that used to have you send a copy of your LTC so they'd have it on file. Not legally required but they felt it helped them. If you wouldn't mind could you PM me and let me know who you are? Got a LOT of friends looking for more places willing to sell to them. Any questions on MA feel free to ask.

Shipping to MA

Im new to the gun world and I live on an Island in MA. Getting Ammo is such a pain but i keep driving an hour and a half to get what I need. Can anyone please PM me or email me at buotte@me.com with some where that will ship to me... I just want me some.22 lr so damn hard to get

Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    No, It's not Illegal to ship ammo to MA, there's a handful of companies that ship to MA regularly. Way back the AG at the time tried to make it so out of state companies shipping ammo into MA would have to get a lic from MA to do it. It didn't work but fear led many companies to simply stop assuming it was illegal to do, it's not. Most people won't give up their sources online when it comes to the company's that ship to MA. Prior to moving to VA I used a company that used to have you send a copy of your LTC so they'd have it on file. Not legally required but they felt it helped them. If you wouldn't mind could you PM me and let me know who you are? Got a LOT of friends looking for more places willing to sell to them. Any questions on MA feel free to ask.
    It is not illegal to ship ammunition into MA, however many large stores will not do it because they have received letters from the Attorney Generals office citing MGL.XX.140.122b (previously referenced in this thread by Shaun). In 140.122B it states that in order to sell ammunition a license must be issued and "Every license shall specify the street and number, if any, of the building where the business is to be carried on. " Since the licenses are issued by the Police Chief with jurisdiction over the "address" the AG letter will state that only businesses with brick and mortar stores can sell in MA.
    Last edited by spt_1955; 03-07-2015 at 10:23 AM.