• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC open carry experiences

jcecilj

I have had my CC for around 5 years now. Carry CC almost everyday. Being a dumbass, I let my CCW run out without renewing so I have to wait for it to go back through the system. So, within the last couple of weeks I decided to start open carrying around my local hometown area till my CCW comes back. I also just get tired of wearing my shirts untucked to conceal my revolvers (which tend to be bulky sometimes). I bought a Fobus holster and started taking my favorite S&W 586 along for the ride. Started out a little nervous not wanting to cause any issues, even though I know that may happen.

What an experience......I live in Western NC (Hickory area) and several things have happened. Most often, nobody even bats an eye. Sometimes I'll see a very occasional person look, but not the constant stares I thought I would get. Usually the questions I get go something like this.......
Hey, are you a cop...
(no)....
oh ok, nice gun....
(thanks)......
Can you carry open like that?....
(yes...NC is an open carry state...look online @ forum.opencarry.org for details.....)
Man, nice to know somebody besides the criminals have guns....

I most recently was in a Lowe's shopping for kitchen lights when an elderly man (around 70) and his wife stopped beside me. He looked down and said, "nice gun.....Smith?". I said, "yes, 586". He said. "357 magnum?". I said, "yep". He proceeded to tell me that he carries all the time, looked around and quickly flashed a Kimber 45 from under his coat. His wife went on to tell us that she carries a Ruger 380 and they have decided to not be victims. We talked a little about open carry and he thanked me for sticking up for our rights....he said that if he were a little younger he might open carry too.

I've had one Food Lion manager tell me she wished I would just visit every hour or so.

I must say that when my CCW arrives, I still may chose to OC most often. I think that around here people are just sick and tired of being scared all the time. I really enjoy being able to help people understand that this is an awesome country that has an awesome Constitution that we need to use.

joe in NC

BroadwayJoe

I am in the Piedmont Triad area of NC. I started OC'ing months before I got my CHP. Like you said, most people don't even notice. I get a few occasional stares and some questions but overall very positive. Even though I have it, I still OC everywhere I can legally. The CHP has however been convenient in some aspects. With the new changes of HB937, I no longer have to park across the street and walk the kids onto school grounds and I can carry at places that serve alcohol as long as I am not drinking. Everywhere else, shes out.

open4years

I think we might have a new OC advocate! You will find a freedom with OC as you can carry what you wish, versus picking a handgun for that day's attire. It is so hot where I live and although I've OCed for many years, I wish I had started sooner!

Welcome!

dpink

been open carry for a while

been open carry for a while now. only ever had one person say anything to me and it was a store clerk. simply asked " what you carrying?" I told him "s&w 40." he responded, "nice Taurus 357 here." that was that. most people don't even seem to notice. good to be in the south I guess.