Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It appears weapons are now banned in rest stops

It appears weapons are now banned in rest stops

I stopped at a rest stop on I-65 Evergreen today and they had put up a new sign "No weapons allowed past this point". I'm so confused over what's legal in Alabama now. Oh well, I went in anyway, Glock in pants and AR-15 loaded in trunk like I've been doing for decades.

Banned
    Did the sign cite the relevant law? Or did some functionary take it on his own to make a "rule"?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas49.56 View Post
    I stopped at a rest stop on I-65 Evergreen today and they had put up a new sign "No weapons allowed past this point". I'm so confused over what's legal in Alabama now. Oh well, I went in anyway, Glock in pants and AR-15 loaded in trunk like I've been doing for decades.
    Picture of sign?
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

According to these folks http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/alabama.pdf

- "No Handguns" or anything similar do not have the force of law

- rest stops are not listed as prohibited places, even with a permit

If you can remember which rest stop it was, write (email?) to the manager of the facility (cc/bcc your legislators, the AG, the Secretary of Transportation, the local newspaper) citing the relevant styate laws (provide links) and informing them of the presence of the sign, that it does not appear to be legally enforcable. Ask them to inform you when the sign is corrected and what corrective/remedial action they have taken to assure the laws are obeyed regarding the placing of such signs.

And yes, get a picture of the sign and enclose it in the above as well as posting it here. Be sure to get shots that not only show the sign clearly but also prove it is posted at the rest stop.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Problem is that the OP was just traveling through, so if he didn't snap a picture then it may be incumbent on someone from the area to take one.

Knowing the mile marker or precise location would be beneficial.

Yata hey

Hey guys,
    Sorry I didn't take a picture of it, but that was the total text "No weapons allowed past this point". It looked brand new and I did not see it last year. I was at the SERFI fly in at Middleton Field(GZH) Exit 93 on to US Hwy. 84. It was coming back home the first rest stop south of Exit 93 going south on I-65. I only go up there a few times a year, it's an hour and a half away.

Mr. Eddie Fulmer, of BamaCarry, Inc., posted a picture of a similar, or perhaps the same, sign on the BamaCarry FaceBook page and stated that he was firing off a letter to the AG concerning it.

As they said when the roof blew off the funeral home, "Remains to be seen!"
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

I-20 too

I just left a rest stop on I-20, just east of the Mississippi state line. It also had the "weapons not allowed beyond this point" sign. I was open carrying at the time, but I put my pistol back in the car whenever I saw that. I didn't know that it does not carry the weight of law until after I got back to the car and checked on it.

Just tell 'em its not a rest stop ... its a reloading stop ...

Safety first !
    Do not take any postings to be the opinion of the poster .. poster may be posting opinions of others and not necessarily himself ... carry on

"Filing a notice of trespass with your local, county, state authorities , to keep all town employees off your land, would cut down on the government from interfering or harassing you, at least put you in a little bit stronger legal position" .. chk you local laws (disclaimer)
    [/I]

Banned
    So, is anyone in Alabama doing anything about this?

If BriKuz were an Alabamian, he'd be carrying at every rest stop in the State, inviting dozens of us to join him and asking Willis to explain what he was talking about, like happened with the county fairs in Ohio.

Dozens of my fellow Ohioans, were they Alabamians, would have fired off an avalanche of emails at the mere mention of a single illegal sign, prompting corrective action within 24 hours, like happened in Fairborn.

If corrective action were not taken swiftly, or if corrective action still did not comport with the law, a lawsuit would have been filed, like happened in Oberlin.

That's how we roll here in Ohio. It's all about getting things done, not about generating web traffic.

To Everyone:

Regardless of what The Sign says..., The Provisions of The Preemption Statute under Recently Passed Senate Bill 286 Preempt and Preclude its Enforcement. The Sign is Illegal, and The Property is Public Property not Off-Limits to Permit Holders, or Persons who are Open Carriers without a Permit, therefore; The Sign is Illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    To Everyone:

Regardless of what The Sign says..., The Provisions of The Preemption Statute under Recently Passed Senate Bill 286 Preempt and Preclude its Enforcement. The Sign is Illegal, and The Property is Public Property not Off-Limits to Permit Holders, or Persons who are Open Carriers without a Permit, therefore; The Sign is Illegal.
    Color of law.

Such signs intimidate and/or confuse those less knowledgeable + send a false message to the general public.

Yata hey

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Color of law.

Such signs intimidate and/or confuse those less knowledgeable + send a false message to the general public.
    That. The signs in Fairborn were unenforceable. We still have them corrected.

One individual in Oberlin told us to trust him that the city would not enforce the illegal ordinance we were demanding be removed. Yeah. Right.

Illegal signs MUST come down! Illegal ordinances MUST be repealed!

Centurion

We had similar illegal signs in Arizona in the 1990's

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Color of law.

Second amendment advocates arranged for an open carry picnic at a prominent rest stop near Tucson, and invited the State Patrol (DPS). The videoed the whole thing. We had a friendly radio talk show host in Phoenix dedicate a program to it, and give out the Governor's telephone number. The Governor asked us pretty please to stop the phone calls, the signs would be taken down. They came down in days.

Alabama Rest Stops are "Gun Free Zones"

The signs are real, I saw one tonight on I-10 near the MS/ AL line. The Alabama Dept. of Transportation controls all the Alabama rest stops. John R. Cooper became Alabama’s Transportation Director effective January 17, 2011, with the beginning of Governor Robert Bentley’s Administration. Cooper comes out of retirement to head the Alabama Department of Transportation. His
    Phone Number is 334-242-6776.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	john_cooper.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	11166

Banned

It appears weapons are now banned in rest stops

So, why haven't we seen any action? By now, Cooper's email would've been blown up, he would've had to hire another assistant to handle the phone traffic, and the signs would be down, or we'd be carrying all over the rest stops en masse, if this had been Ohio. No group would've been running this effort. It would've just sprung up like blades of grass from their roots!

Every illegal sign discovered in Ohio since I have been here has come down in short order. Let's get going Alabama! Stop counting on your "leadership." Just do it!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
    <O>
    Last edited by eye95; 01-24-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Banned
    Mr. Cooper says that the signs are legal and that he has no intention of taking them down. He said, "Bring it on." So, Alabama, let's see some action. Bring it on!!!

<o>

Banned
    I have called the governor and left a message with him regarding his Transportation Director. I will not support Bentley's reelection if he does not get those signs down.

So, Alabama, whatchagonna do? Post? Or make calls, write emails, and rally at the rest stops? Bring it on!!!

<o>

This is a pre-emption violation, as spelled out in act 2013-283. We have requested a relief action to be filed in circuit court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    If you know that the signs are illegal and cannot be enforced, call and email. If and when that does not work, get together and carry. Again, if you know the signs are illegal.

In Ohio, we did this at numerous county fairs that were illegally posted, city parks, etc. The signs came down. Hell, in Fairborn, after a flood of emails, the signs were fixed in 24 hours. Court cases take too long and should be a last resort. Call the Transportation Director and the Governor. I have. I spoke directly with the director (he is an ass) and left a message for the governor.

In Oberlin, the ordinance was altered as a result of us gathering in large numbers in their parks. The change was not good enough, so we are suing. However, we have flat-out established that, regardless of what the ordinance now says, we can carry in Oberlin parks, and do so at will.

If you want an example of getting things DONE, quickly, effectively, and well, look to Ohio! We bring it on and git 'er done!
    Last edited by eye95; 01-24-2014 at 09:31 AM.

We have already carried past the signs and told them they are illegal, so now we seek legal action.
    I like your ideas, however we also have 13a-11-59 to contend with as far a large group is concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not Preemption

It not preemption as the State itself is doing it. Preemption prohibits cities and counties from passing laws which conflict with the general state firearms laws. The state law has a provision that a business owner can post such a sign, but who would have thought it would be the State on public property?

"A COVENANT NOT TO DEFEND
    MYSELFE FROM FORCE,
    BY FORCE, IS ALWAYES VOYD."

Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan, Reprinted From The Edition of 1651, Part 1, Chapter 14, pages 108-109.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Johnston View Post
    It not preemption as the State itself is doing it. Preemption prohibits cities and counties from passing laws which conflict with the general state firearms laws. The state law has a provision that a business owner can post such a sign, but who would have thought it would be the State on public property?
    As an agency/agent of the state, where is this authorization derived? Would seem to be the tail wagging the dog.

Yata hey

Only the law abiding abide the law, corporate entity or individual.
    Living rent free in their heads. Shun icky! Respect is good, but fear works.

No Authority but Force

I don't think there is any legal authority. They just did it. Printed the signs and put them up and now take the position that they have the "right" to be there. Well a socket wrench solves that problem (not that I encourage that). If the Director has said they are not going to remove them the Gov. simply fires him and appoints a replacement who respects the law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast