• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It appears weapons are now banned in rest stops

Methos

I was hoping someone would quote the section. I used to have the Alabama Code up on my computer all the time. Not any more.

In SB286 it stated that only the state can pass any regulations to firearms, local or other departments cannot regulate firearms. Sorry, don't have the code infront of me.

Another issue that might be causing groups to stall out in this one, Alabama has two different groups... One group is essentially writing the bills that are trying to get passed, and the other group that opposes the first. There have been some rumors lately of where the one group stands in what they want the laws to be, and it really worries me.

Not all counties have been having this problem, but some counties are facing the same problems as the rest stops where the sheriff is printing signs and delivering them to the businesses telling them they have to put the sign up for many different reasons varying from liability to you don't want this to turn into the wild wild west.

eye95

If the two groups are the ones I suspect they are, I can tell you the underlying problem. You see, I was a charter member of one, and joined a second organization that broke off from the first. That second organization had a name that was "owned" by a person. That person pulled the rug out from under the organization, taking control of the name, forming a third organization of his own and attaching that name. That was it for me belonging to any Alabama organization. When I took a job in Ohio, I maintained the same modus operandi. I don't belong to any State organization, but I work with other Liberty-minded folks (many who belong to one or more of the several Ohio organizations) to get things done.

The organizations in Ohio don't have "turf." They often work with other organizations and indies (like me). We get things done. Other States could do well to learn from the model in Ohio.

The Alabama organizations (the first and the third I mentioned above) seem to be having turf wars, which I suspect is a natural consequence of their top-down structures and their having "owners."

Grassroots, Alabama, grassroots. No "owners." Bottom-up cooperation instead of top-down control.

Kirbinator

Friends,

You're missing the forest for the trees. The action was unconstitutional. No authority or power delegated from the people through the constitution delegates such. Section 1-36 are excepted out of the general powers of government. That means neither the legislative nor the executive may act in such way. It also means, subject to the provisions of the constitution, that the individual actors are responsible for those violations of rights.

Daylen

Well who is going to sue about it? Luther Strange (Alabama AG) has made it very clear that he sees any restriction as fine and lawful, so there is no other way to fix it. Wasn't passing that law so nice? Beason and crew sure knew what they were doing eh?

Kirbinator

Another thing here I didn't realize until just now... Since one has to have explicit permission to have a firearm, this just ended any shooting-type sports activity, as they must have express permission to bring the rifles out. The government is not immune to it's own laws. :banghead:

Kirbinator

Well who is going to sue about it? Luther Strange (Alabama AG) has made it very clear that he sees any restriction as fine and lawful, so there is no other way to fix it. Wasn't passing that law so nice? Beason and crew sure knew what they were doing eh?

42 USC 1983

The AG will not sue over it; he is there to defend the state. Someone will have to sue on the behalf of the people -- once it can be shown that harm came to a single person.

press1280

42 USC 1983

The AG will not sue over it; he is there to defend the state. Someone will have to sue on the behalf of the people -- once it can be shown that harm came to a single person.

I doubt anything happens if everyone CCWs into the rest stops. Most likely an OCer would be the one taking it for the team.

phil1979

Alabama Rest Stops - Cooper's ALDOT

John R. Cooper of the ALDOT insists he has the authority to put up the illegal "No Weapons" signs. He says for us to "Bring it on."

I just learned recently that Eddie Fulmer of Bama Carry is working on this. Hopefully, there will be a resolution soon.

I've sent my own emails to both Cooper and Gov. Bentley. Why is it that those in power who talk about supporting our rights are often the very ones that infringe on them?

Maybe I'll also email the Alabama State Patrol to get their take on it, as they would be the one to make any arrest of a licensed carrier of a firearm carrying past one of those stupid signs.

F350

Anyone traveling through 'Bamma should plan their trips so any $ stops take place outside the state, no fuel, food or hotel stops should take place inside till the signs come down!