Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sears is anti-gun now

Sears is anti-gun now

Now the first thing that might be a problem is the fact that it's the Sears in the Virginia Center Commons, but I thought that they had the right to make their own choices in rules.

At any rate, I'm in the auto center finalizing the paperwork to get my car worked on when an employee walks in and asks me if I'm law enforcement. I say no and he says I'm not allowed to have my gun in Sears. I politely let him know that it was not posted and asked if he was a manager and if I could speak with one.

He then told me that "Sears does not allow carry due to small kids" and then starts talking about walmart being the same way. He said that you can't carry a gun into walmart because they sell alcohol (not sure how he's connecting the two stores but what ever).

I wasn't going to argue with him, I just asked if I could speak with the manager. I said that if that's the policy I would like a manager to ask me to leave.

Well, I was also in a hurry because I needed to run an errand before they close at 5pm so I didn't have time to wait for the manager (I did wait at least 5 minutes though).

I'll try to talk to the manager when I go back to pick up my car. I got both employee's names.

Does anyone think I should contact district regarding policy or does the mall policy work just the same?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterP99 View Post
    Now the first thing that might be a problem is the fact that it's the Sears in the Virginia Center Commons, but I thought that they had the right to make their own choices in rules.

At any rate, I'm in the auto center finalizing the paperwork to get my car worked on when an employee walks in and asks me if I'm law enforcement. I say no and he says I'm not allowed to have my gun in Sears. I politely let him know that it was not posted and asked if he was a manager and if I could speak with one.

He then told me that "Sears does not allow carry due to small kids" and then starts talking about walmart being the same way. He said that you can't carry a gun into walmart because they sell alcohol (not sure how he's connecting the two stores but what ever).

I wasn't going to argue with him, I just asked if I could speak with the manager. I said that if that's the policy I would like a manager to ask me to leave.

Well, I was also in a hurry because I needed to run an errand before they close at 5pm so I didn't have time to wait for the manager (I did wait at least 5 minutes though).

I'll try to talk to the manager when I go back to pick up my car. I got both employee's names.

Does anyone think I should contact district regarding policy or does the mall policy work just the same?

Naaaa.

Sounds like an anti-liberty employee making it up as he goes along.

Its your call whether to follow up with a formal complaint, but it sounds like the rabid anti-freedomer didn't get any traction.

PS for all readers: Don't mention signs. If you build it, they will come.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

But am I right about the policy with the mall and all?

I tried so hard to keep my cool. I think I did an okay job though.

Even the manager was spewing ridiculous nonsense. I guess I won't be shopping at sears anymore.

Audio recording sounds pretty good though. Maybe I will post it after I edit it down if anyone is interested in hearing what all they had to say.

Even the manager was spewing ridiculous nonsense. I guess I won't be shopping at sears anymore.

Audio recording sounds pretty good though. Maybe I will post it after I edit it down if anyone is interested in hearing what all they had to say.
    I would call corporate.

So...
    Light'em Up!

If you can't keep your cool, don't bother calling corporate - for your and our sake.

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    If you can't keep your cool, don't bother calling corporate - for your and our sake.

I mean, its not like I yelled or anything, it was more like a disagreement on state law, which I was trying to explain didn't even matter in the case of it being private property.

Even if I did call corporate, all I want to know is there stance and what their policy actually says. That's the only reason I would call corporate in any situation.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    Jester's fine. His losing his cool is pretty dull.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Jester's fine. His losing his cool is pretty dull.
    Thank you. I just don't have a number for them.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I mean, its not like I yelled or anything, it was more like a disagreement on state law, which I was trying to explain didn't even matter in the case of it being private property.

Even if I did call corporate, all I want to know is there stance and what their policy actually says. That's the only reason I would call corporate in any situation.
    This has nothing to do with state law. Sears, Wal-Mart et al are private property - they can make their own rules. Still in the many times this has been checked out - neither has been found to ban LAC carrying.

Think all you will need to do is talk to the store manager.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    This has nothing to do with state law. Sears, Wal-Mart et al are private property - they can make their own rules. Still in the many times this has been checked out - neither has been found to ban LAC carrying.

The question still remains though, does the mall rules supercede any Sears policy?

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    The question still remains though, does the mall rules supercede any Sears policy?

I don't know that mall. GENERALLY, the stores lease space in the mall - Sears, Macy's, JCPenney, etc. often being "anchor" tenants - in which case the mall ownership sets the policy. The tenant may or may not strongly enforce that policy, but it is the mall's policy. (I was asked to leave Target in Springfield Mall, though I frequently shop at other Target stores with impunity. In that case, Springfield Mall is a Simon-managed property, and Simon malls are anti.)
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

If the store has a separate entrance whereby you enter w/o actually entering the common area, then mall "policy" is seldom a problem.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Even if I did call corporate, all I want to know is there their stance and what their policy actually says. That's the only reason I would call corporate in any situation.
    Unrelated to your self-control (which I note has been vouched for), rather than calling I suggest that you go to their website and find the "contact us" link. Click on it, and fill in the relevant information, then wait for a reply. Now you have some documentation if needed for later contacts. Make it clear that in addition to an e-mail reply, you would appreciate a call/e-mail from the division manager to ensure that the stores under his purview have been reminded of the corporate policy.

Sit back and let us know what happens!

I work security part-time for Sears in Fairfax, VA. Our staff is all very pro grun and we love to see people OC in our store. We won't bother you if you stay in Sears, but you may or may not be asked to leave the Mall by their security (they seem to be hit or miss).

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    I don't know that mall. GENERALLY, the stores lease space in the mall - Sears, Macy's, JCPenney, etc. often being "anchor" tenants - in which case the mall ownership sets the policy. The tenant may or may not strongly enforce that policy, but it is the mall's policy. (I was asked to leave Target in Springfield Mall, though I frequently shop at other Target stores with impunity. In that case, Springfield Mall is a Simon-managed property, and Simon malls are anti.)
    I have a Simon mall near me and it's not posted. I've read about people open carrying there without any issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7

The automotive manager was very clear that their store manager is very anti-gun. Evidently they all think that "in this post 9/11 age" only "on duty police officers are allowed to carry firearms"

Should I call and speak with the store manager and then request a number to reach the district manager? Or is it better to call corporate and take that approach?

The automotive manager was very clear that their store manager is very anti-gun. Evidently they all think that "in this post 9/11 age" only "on duty police officers are allowed to carry firearms"

Should I call and speak with the store manager and then request a number to reach the district manager? Or is it better to call corporate and take that approach?

If you already know the store manager to be not compliant with corporate policy, then obviously it would be better to jump the chain of command.

If you already know the store manager to be not compliant with corporate policy, then obviously it would be better to jump the chain of command.
    I guess so. I'll work on calling/emailing them tomorrow.

I guess so. I'll work on calling/emailing them tomorrow.

Not for nothing but what I am finding searching the net tells me that Sears has had a policy against open and concealed carry. Has this changed?

Quote Originally Posted by half_life1052 View Post
    Not for nothing but what I am finding searching the net tells me that Sears has had a policy against open and concealed carry. Has this changed?
    Wow - just looked and found the same thing.

That's what I get for relying on personal past experience and not double checking. I have forever and always OC'd in Sears and K-Mart (parent company) w/o any problem...ever. Wonder if this is a local option thing for their managers?

Sometimes it helps to keep reading

I should have kept going in the thread that I found on another site

Fair Use Notice ------ this copyrighted material comes from http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-...e-zones-5.html

Quote Originally Posted by SCJeffro
    After making about 6 calls and talking to 10 different people, the 2nd to last last being a VP of something or other who referred me to the investigator/case manager who sent this email...

Quote:
    Hello,

Its Emerald, your case manager, and this is the Sears cooperate policy regarding fire arms. Please call or email me to confirm you have gotten this information. Your case number is xxxxxxx.

Subject: RE: Request for fire arm/weapon policy

Here is the response from Sears Senior Counsel:

Our corporate policy regarding customers who openly carry firearms on our store premises is that as long as the law of the state in which our store is located legally permits the open carrying of firearms (i.e. carrying a firearm on one's person in plain sight), customers will be permitted to openly carry firearms within our stores.

Emerald Sloan
    Blue Ribbon Service Case Manager
    Sears Holdings Corporation
    Toll Free: 1-888-266-4043 extension 75
    Email: BlueRibbonService2@searshc.com

Schedule: Monday - Saturday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (CST) off Wednesday and Sunday
    I have removed my case number (as it is attached at SEARS to my email, home address and phone number through my old SEARS account)

So there you go, I feel this is enough for me to stop the SEARS boycott, in fact maybe you can print it out and take it to the store that kicked you out and tell the manager and Security guy to contact the Sears Senior Counsel themselves if they have questions!

This is from an event back in 2010 in Nevada.

Quote Originally Posted by half_life1052 View Post
    I should have kept going in the thread that I found on another site

Fair Use Notice ------ this copyrighted material comes from http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-...e-zones-5.html

This is from an event back in 2010 in Nevada.
    I guess a phone call is in order then. They either do or do not allow carry and that's going to determine whether or not I shop there in the future.

I wrote them last year and received a similar email stating that they followed the laws of the state. I'm not sure I still have it, but I'll look around and see. Either way, I've always carried there with no problems (Sears in VA Beach/Pembroke Mall area). Sounds to me like you just encountered some anti-liberty folks. I carry to many department stores that are attached to the various malls while OCing with no issue. Some people just have sticks shoved up certain orifices (IMO).

On the phone right now making a formal complaint, should get everything in writing when I'm finished. Will update.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast