• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sears is anti-gun now

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not for nothing but what I am finding searching the net tells me that Sears has had a policy against open and concealed carry. Has this changed?
Wow - just looked and found the same thing.

That's what I get for relying on personal past experience and not double checking. I have forever and always OC'd in Sears and K-Mart (parent company) w/o any problem...ever. Wonder if this is a local option thing for their managers?

half_life1052

Sometimes it helps to keep reading

I should have kept going in the thread that I found on another site

Fair Use Notice ------ this copyrighted material comes from http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-carry-discussion/13456-sears-kmart-defense-free-zones-5.html

Quote Originally Posted by SCJeffro
After making about 6 calls and talking to 10 different people, the 2nd to last last being a VP of something or other who referred me to the investigator/case manager who sent this email...

Quote:
Hello,

Its Emerald, your case manager, and this is the Sears cooperate policy regarding fire arms. Please call or email me to confirm you have gotten this information. Your case number is xxxxxxx.

Subject: RE: Request for fire arm/weapon policy

Here is the response from Sears Senior Counsel:

Our corporate policy regarding customers who openly carry firearms on our store premises is that as long as the law of the state in which our store is located legally permits the open carrying of firearms (i.e. carrying a firearm on one's person in plain sight), customers will be permitted to openly carry firearms within our stores.

Emerald Sloan
Blue Ribbon Service Case Manager
Sears Holdings Corporation
Toll Free: 1-888-266-4043 extension 75
Email: BlueRibbonService2@searshc.com

Schedule: Monday - Saturday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (CST) off Wednesday and Sunday
I have removed my case number (as it is attached at SEARS to my email, home address and phone number through my old SEARS account)

So there you go, I feel this is enough for me to stop the SEARS boycott, in fact maybe you can print it out and take it to the store that kicked you out and tell the manager and Security guy to contact the Sears Senior Counsel themselves if they have questions!

This is from an event back in 2010 in Nevada.

JesterP99

Justine

I wrote them last year and received a similar email stating that they followed the laws of the state. I'm not sure I still have it, but I'll look around and see. Either way, I've always carried there with no problems (Sears in VA Beach/Pembroke Mall area). Sounds to me like you just encountered some anti-liberty folks. I carry to many department stores that are attached to the various malls while OCing with no issue. Some people just have sticks shoved up certain orifices (IMO).

JesterP99

On the phone right now making a formal complaint, should get everything in writing when I'm finished. Will update.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

JesterP99

On the phone right now making a formal complaint, should get everything in writing when I'm finished. Will update.

The lady I spoke with couldn't find the exact policy. She said the store manager will contact me, but I already know how that's going to go. I guess I will be forced to go over his head once he tells me his opinion.

WalkingWolf

How is it a employee of Sears is attempting to speak for Walmart. I would contact Walmart corporate also and inform them that a non employee of a competitor is attempting to set police for them. A phone call from Wally World corporate would probably cost the numpty his job.

JesterP99

How is it a employee of Sears is attempting to speak for Walmart. I would contact Walmart corporate also and inform them that a non employee of a competitor is attempting to set police for them. A phone call from Wally World corporate would probably cost the numpty his job.

Does anyone have a specific number to call to get the right person?

JesterP99

If the store has a separate entrance whereby you enter w/o actually entering the common area, then mall "policy" is seldom a problem.

How do we prove this to be fact? I've been trying to contact Simon Mall managers from all 7 Virginia malls but have yet to be connected to someone that can help. I also left a message with the public relations department for Simon properties corporate. Between that and my Sears complaint I'm sure everyone will probably call me all at once.

WalkingWolf

How do we prove this to be fact? I've been trying to contact Simon Mall managers from all 7 Virginia malls but have yet to be connected to someone that can help. I also left a message with the public relations department for Simon properties corporate. Between that and my Sears complaint I'm sure everyone will probably call me all at once.

Unless you are officially trespassed, don't concern yourself. OC until they do.

I am not a fan of signs, but if a business is too lazy to post signs then OC. I would not mention signs if something is said. The moment the employee stated Walmart's supposed policy he made it clear he was full of the brown stuff.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

The Simon-owned malls that I have visited (e.g., Pentagon City) have a Code of Conduct poster off to the side of the entrance door that has a long list of DOs and DON'Ts in small print. Included in the list is a prohibition on weapons. These signs are only at mall entrances, not at the street entrances to the anchor stores such as Macy's

JesterP99

The Simon-owned malls that I have visited (e.g., Pentagon City) have a Code of Conduct poster off to the side of the entrance door that has a long list of DOs and DON'Ts in small print. Included in the list is a prohibition on weapons. These signs are only at mall entrances, not at the street entrances to the anchor stores such as Macy's

Yes, but as we have found out by signs not being posted, the lack of signs does not allow the actions. I have been investigating this issue into the separate entrances but I have not found anything to corroborate the statement that it's fine because it has a separate entrance.

Furthermore, I need to find out exactly what the policy says because I am getting conflicting stories on the behalf of corporate and the store manager, if I'm going to prove my case to the manager, I need proof to back up my claims.

And if I don't have a claim because it's a Simon rule then there's no reason pursuing it.

half_life1052

Yes, but as we have found out by signs not being posted, the lack of signs does not allow the actions. I have been investigating this issue into the separate entrances but I have not found anything to corroborate the statement that it's fine because it has a separate entrance.

Furthermore, I need to find out exactly what the policy says because I am getting conflicting stories on the behalf of corporate and the store manager, if I'm going to prove my case to the manager, I need proof to back up my claims.

And if I don't have a claim because it's a Simon rule then there's no reason pursuing it.

I would leave the mall owner out of it. They aren't the ones doing the talking. Define your argument as narrow as is possible.

JesterP99

I would leave the mall owner out of it. They aren't the ones doing the talking. Define your argument as narrow as is possible.

I think it's a losing battle either way, not worth pursuing. I'll take my business elsewhere I guess.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Now the first thing that might be a problem is the fact that it's the Sears in the Virginia Center Commons, but I thought that they had the right to make their own choices in rules.

At any rate, I'm in the auto center finalizing the paperwork to get my car worked on when an employee walks in and asks me if I'm law enforcement. I say no and he says I'm not allowed to have my gun in Sears. I politely let him know that it was not posted and asked if he was a manager and if I could speak with one.

He then told me that "Sears does not allow carry due to small kids" and then starts talking about walmart being the same way. He said that you can't carry a gun into walmart because they sell alcohol (not sure how he's connecting the two stores but what ever).

I wasn't going to argue with him, I just asked if I could speak with the manager. I said that if that's the policy I would like a manager to ask me to leave.

Well, I was also in a hurry because I needed to run an errand before they close at 5pm so I didn't have time to wait for the manager (I did wait at least 5 minutes though).

I'll try to talk to the manager when I go back to pick up my car. I got both employee's names.

Does anyone think I should contact district regarding policy or does the mall policy work just the same?

Are you going to post the audio recording of the conversation?

JesterP99

https://soundcloud.com/jestersp2022/sears-encounter

Sum:

I walked in, talked to associate about my vehicle, then the manager asked I was the one that wanted to talk with him. He told me that any associate could ask me to leave for any reason. He told me it was illegal for me to carry in Sears and walmart and anywhere that sold alcohol (still not sure what walmart or alcohol had to do with Sears). I told him state preemption and he said no there are local ordinances. We argued for about 10 seconds and I said it wasn't worth arguing. He said the next time I carried in his store I would be asked to leave.

Here is the link to the edited audio. I am sure you don't want to hear me talking to the associate about my car but this version has all the manager encounter.

Maybe I should bring him a copy of the state law so he can know for the future.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior