• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judge sends cops and crazy dog to elementary classroom - guess what happened?

OC for ME

In my mind this is very similar to asking Mr. Kinney to threaten a locked-and-loaded ED-209 with a gun [warning Robocop gore and raucous audio at linked URL]. ED-209 doesn't know it's a simulation and is not infallible. These kids were asked to play the role of potential bad guy, and one of the kids was given a substance that is generally associated with bad guys (by the police anyway). Sure the dog really just thinks the smell of the substance means the kid has his ball (if you know how drug dogs are trained) but the dog also knows that bad guys may try to hurt him, and he's in bad guy mode.

Bad plan all the way around. If I had an armed, autonomous weapon and directed it at some children, for a demonstration, and someone got hurt, I expect I'd get treated a lot differently.
Your expectation does not match the indicated outcome.....unfortunately.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Do you have a citation to support your statement?

stay safe.

I took the post as a conclusion based on the facts noted in this thread.

I do think that the gov't is trying to acclimate people to unwarranted searches.

Plus, if the cop thought the dog would bite if a kid moved, then he never should have performed the "demonstration" because he must know that 20 kids are not going to sit still ~ especially with a dog hovering about them. Ya cannot get 20 kids to sit still for any reason.

MamabearCali

Who thought this was a good idea? I am so glad the kid will be ok. This is 100% human operator problem.

First a dog should not be trained to bite for simple movement. Second if a dog is trained for that they should not be permitted around children. Third why in the name if all that is holy would you plant narcotics on a child. Do these idiots realize there can and will be social consequences for the child they chose to pick on. Fourth, why would you want to accustom children to being searched......unless it is your plan to do this on a regular basis? If you do, then that is very serious indeed.

Some numbskull owes every parent and child in that class an apology.

OC for ME

Who thought this was a good idea? I am so glad the kid will be ok. This is 100% human operator problem.

First a dog should not be trained to bite for simple movement. Second if a dog is trained for that they should not be permitted around children. Third why in the name if all that is holy would you plant narcotics on a child. Do these idiots realize there can and will be social consequences for the child they chose to pick on. Fourth, why would you want to accustom children to being searched......unless it is your plan to do this on a regular basis? If you do, then that is very serious indeed.

Some numbskull owes every parent and child in that class an apology.
Mom is cool with it, so, no harm no foul.

Your post is dead on right. The cops need to be held to account and that dog needs to be put down. A cop would shoot my dog if the situation were reversed.

MamabearCali

Not just the cop. Everyone who said "good idea, put a dog trained to bite people in with wiggly kids" needs to be called to account. This was a stupid idea. Everyone who signed off on it along the way needs to have a share in this pie.

Now as to whether to put the dog down or not......I make no claim of wisdom. It seems unnecessary to put the dog down for one incident that was instigated by stupid handler/whoever thought this debacle up. It also seems unnecessary to me to shoot dogs because they bark at a LEO's. In my world two wrongs don't make a right. But perhaps I don't see the whole picture.

OC for ME

The dog is a danger to the citizenry. The dog responding to the "oust" command is not relevant in my view. Police dogs are lethal weapons and on the same level as that cop's service weapon. Especially when the citizen attacked by that dog is a defenseless child. A judge would need to make the determination and that is not going to happen it seems.

Incidentally, that kid may very well be traumatized as a result of this incident and now be fearful of all dogs. Well done BPD.

sudden valley gunner

Not just the cop. Everyone who said "good idea, put a dog trained to bite people in with wiggly kids" needs to be called to account. This was a stupid idea. Everyone who signed off on it along the way needs to have a share in this pie.

Now as to whether to put the dog down or not......I make no claim of wisdom. It seems unnecessary to put the dog down for one incident that was instigated by stupid handler/whoever thought this debacle up. It also seems unnecessary to me to shoot dogs because they bark at a LEO's. In my world two wrongs don't make a right. But perhaps I don't see the whole picture.

+1 Good post. Two wrongs don't make a right. I do find the hypocrisy that state dogs are more special than the dogs of mundanes.

The dog is a danger to the citizenry. The dog responding to the "oust" command is not relevant in my view. Police dogs are lethal weapons and on the same level as that cop's service weapon. Especially when the citizen attacked by that dog is a defenseless child. A judge would need to make the determination and that is not going to happen it seems.

Incidentally, that kid may very well be traumatized as a result of this incident and now be fearful of all dogs. Well done BPD.

+1

MamabearCali

Sadly a fear of police dogs and a mistrust of police might serve the child well. What a sad world we live in.

OC for ME

Sadly a fear of police dogs and a mistrust of police might serve the child well. What a sad world we live in.
Sadly, I must give you a +1. The citizenry does not give LE a "bad name" LE does. If LE worked as hard to dispel that notion as they do to show off their lethal weapons to children we all would have far less to discuss here on OCDO.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
And we have another reason why dogs should not be used to enforce the law. They should be used for nothing other than confronting DANGEROUS fleeing felons. Other than this use, they should be left at the station or home of the handler.

Does anyone remember the incident where the officer had to shoot the K-9 he was working with because it attacked him instead of the perp? I can't remember where it happened, but it was an excellent show of why using a K-9 is asking for unintended problems.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Dogs should not be used by LE at all.

Now this one of the most intelligence statements yet/S

Havening trained lots of dogs once you train them to bite humans no matter how well trained you can't trust them not to bite.

No matter how well a dog is trained they are no where near perfect.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
According to the report, the officer and his K-9 partner, Max, as well as another K-9 team were requested by Clay County Superior Court Judge J. Blaine Akers to carry out a simulated raid of a party with actors in place to help "educate the Clay County fifth-graders on drug awareness."

Uh huh.

Those kids were "educated", all right.

Although, for heightened realism, they should have had the kids brings their own dogs to be shot while the heroic canine "officer" is awarded medals for his bravery.

OC for ME

On comment posted.
First of all "a minor injury"???? Last time I knew a dog taking a chunk out of a child's leg is no "minor injury"!!! Yes this was an unfortunate accident. However, it's one that should have NEVER happened!!! You would think when you send a child on a field trip to a courthouse, to be around officers, judges, and k-9 police dogs the child would be safe. Ha not in this town. This story also states that the kids were to remain still while the dog searched them. It didn't state that they had 2 children laying on the ground next to each other and the poor child moved his leg to let Max through and he was attacked!!! I guess I didn't realize the dog was supposed to attack from movement instead on command. Even crazier is this poor child didn't even have anything hidden on him. They had the dog "under control" so tell me why it took 2 officers plus 1 more prying that dogs mouth open to get the dog off of him? Also the officer shouted "oust" to get the dog off of him? Max responded after a few seconds. Imagine how much pain that poor child felt for a few seconds of 240-800 pounds of pressure biting his leg!!!! This poor little guy is very good friends with my son and I pray for him and his family.

http://www.thebraziltimes.com/story/2015940.html#Comments
Very interesting read the comments section is. It seems that the local media is not reporting all that transpired on that day.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Appears to me that the judge is trying to distance himself from any responsibility for this fiasco!

Well, what RAS did the judge have to conduct a search on these children? Judge and cops, trying to hide the truth and when they cannot they decide just to muddle the facts.

These parents might change their views about a suit once they get the new obamalama medical bill of 34 trillion dollars, payable w/i 90 days.