• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rock pit or.... ???

Batousaii

I would like to take my daughter shooting soon, and I am looking for a good place close to Port Orchard that one can legally do some shooting for free. I have only ever used pay-to-shoot ranges with strict rules, and I think one of the more natural ranges, where we can rapid fire, or simply not have to worry about other people would be a pleasant change. Lastly, I have seen "The Map" and it only has a couple of pay-to-shoot ranges listed inside of an hour drive, so I'm turning to any locals over here in my neck of the woods :)

- Can you guys recommend something close to Port Orchard - and please include some info on "how one gets there" so i don't get to lost ;)

Kindly.

Bat :dude:

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
It might be a little out of your one hour range (1 hour 15 mins), but TOS is having it's 2nd annual pumpkin shoot Sat Nov 2nd in Capitol Forest. I will be getting there by 9 am since I have to work that day also. If you want to go we can meet at Cabelas, and convoy from there. Just like any of the outdoor "free" pits you need a fricken Discover pass.

MattinWA

It might be a little out of your one hour range (1 hour 15 mins), but TOS is having it's 2nd annual pumpkin shoot Sat Nov 2nd in Capitol Forest. I will be getting there by 9 am since I have to work that day also. If you want to go we can meet at Cabelas, and convoy from there. Just like any of the outdoor "free" pits you need a fricken Discover pass.

I had a judge dismiss discover pass ticket, I had a fishing permit/vehicle access pass was enough. (Observe section 9 of the law)

Last edited:

MattinWA

I had a judge overturn discover pass ticket, I had a fishing permit/vehicle access pass was enough. (Observe section 9 of the law)

Actually its revised, is section 2 (1) now. Reads:

(1) A discover pass, vehicle access pass, OR day-use permit must be visibly displayed in the front windshield, or otherwise in a prominent location for motor vehicles without a windshield, of any motor vehicle ((or otherwise in a prominent location for vehicles without a windshield)):

Last edited:

Mainsail

For 1 hour and 20 you could hit any of the Road 28 pits out in the Olympics. Out across the Hood Canal and up off Lords Lake Loop. Enough places to shoot that you don't have to share the pit with yahoos.

EDIT to add: It's NFS land so no *pass* is required.

Cliff1.jpg

Last edited:

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I would like to take my daughter shooting soon, and I am looking for a good place close to Port Orchard that one can legally do some shooting for free. I have only ever used pay-to-shoot ranges with strict rules, and I think one of the more natural ranges, where we can rapid fire, or simply not have to worry about other people would be a pleasant change. Lastly, I have seen "The Map" and it only has a couple of pay-to-shoot ranges listed inside of an hour drive, so I'm turning to any locals over here in my neck of the woods :)

- Can you guys recommend something close to Port Orchard - and please include some info on "how one gets there" so i don't get to lost ;)

Kindly.

Bat :dude:

Have you been on WAGUNS.org? They have a map of all kinds of places to shoot in WA.

Batousaii

Thank you guys for the info - we got a hookup from a friend and will be out shooting today in a nice secluded spot ;)
- I will keep the other tips in mind for future as well.

Kindly.

Batousaii

Update:

A big "Thank You" to Trigger Dr for taking my daughter and I out to a nice little spot where we were able to shoot some .22lr and .38 special. She did pretty good and had alot of fun with the little 6-shooter single action. Our little .22 Semi did not like the ammo we had for it, so we didnt shoot that much. We all did some shooting with my .38 Snubby too. All in all had a great time.

:dude: Bat