Thread: Ambi mag releases, bad for OC?

Ambi mag releases, bad for OC?

I've been looking around for a good retention holster for my Ruger SR45 but I haven't found any yet that will cover the magazine release button. This is starting to make me wonder if I should consider getting a gunsmith to drimmel off the protruding button on the one side since Ruger doesn't seem to make non-ambi buttons. I would hate to come across a bad guy one day that knows enough about guns to grab the grip and push the mag release on the outside, rendering me virtually defenseless.

Does anyone know of any holster that would solve this problem, or an after market button for the SR series?
    Last edited by Dario; 10-28-2013 at 02:51 PM.

If your Bad Guy gets within arms reach then it is time to be using a more appropriate defensive weapon - a knife.

That is arguably the reason for The Tueller Drill, to illustrate to the student why seven meters is as close as a gunman should allow his opponent. Any closer and a gun cannot be used effectively and the Bad Guy will be able to step inside the gun.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Hmmmm... I wonder why left-handed people carrying non-ambidextrous release pistols haven't complained yet?
    Perhaps it's because it's a non-existent problem with any well-designed holster?

I'm left-handed and carry a pistol with a conventional magazine release (set up for a right-handed person) in my 3rd decade of carrying on a nearly daily basis and haven't had a problem yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Hmmmm... I wonder why left-handed people carrying non-ambidextrous release pistols haven't complained yet?
    Perhaps it's because it's a non-existent problem with any well-designed holster?

I'm left-handed and carry a pistol with a conventional magazine release (set up for a right-handed person) in my 3rd decade of carrying on a nearly daily basis and haven't had a problem yet.
    I never thought to ask a lefty about that, good call.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dario View Post
    I never thought to ask a lefty about that, good call.
    Maybe they just have their safety off all the time ... if you have a holster to accommodate, it may be the way for them to go.

I have 3 carry pistols with an ambi mag release, another (a 1911a1) where I must use my trigger finger and 2 carry pistols with a reversible mag release currently set up to be pushed in from the right side only.
    As a lefty I find it is much easier to use my trigger finger to release the mag than to use my thumb.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

I don't see it has a problem at all.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    I don't see it has a problem at all.
    Agree~~if a BG gets that close to drop your mag, you(general) have bigger problems than a ambi mag release.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Agree~~if a BG gets that close to drop your mag, you(general) have bigger problems than a ambi mag release.
    Exactly.
    It's really a non-issue, even in cases of accidently hitting up against something, and the mag release being bumped. Been OC'ing my .45 with ambi safeties and mag releases for a few yrs, and never had an issue

My daily carry is a CZ82. It has ambi mag and safety. I do not use the safety and as for the mag release, you will not be getting that close.
    Everyone is right, non issue.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington