• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ambi mag releases, bad for OC?

Dario

I've been looking around for a good retention holster for my Ruger SR45 but I haven't found any yet that will cover the magazine release button. This is starting to make me wonder if I should consider getting a gunsmith to drimmel off the protruding button on the one side since Ruger doesn't seem to make non-ambi buttons. I would hate to come across a bad guy one day that knows enough about guns to grab the grip and push the mag release on the outside, rendering me virtually defenseless.

Does anyone know of any holster that would solve this problem, or an after market button for the SR series?

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Hmmmm... I wonder why left-handed people carrying non-ambidextrous release pistols haven't complained yet?
Perhaps it's because it's a non-existent problem with any well-designed holster?

I'm left-handed and carry a pistol with a conventional magazine release (set up for a right-handed person) in my 3rd decade of carrying on a nearly daily basis and haven't had a problem yet.

Dario

Hmmmm... I wonder why left-handed people carrying non-ambidextrous release pistols haven't complained yet?
Perhaps it's because it's a non-existent problem with any well-designed holster?

I'm left-handed and carry a pistol with a conventional magazine release (set up for a right-handed person) in my 3rd decade of carrying on a nearly daily basis and haven't had a problem yet.

I never thought to ask a lefty about that, good call.

jeeper1

I have 3 carry pistols with an ambi mag release, another (a 1911a1) where I must use my trigger finger and 2 carry pistols with a reversible mag release currently set up to be pushed in from the right side only.
As a lefty I find it is much easier to use my trigger finger to release the mag than to use my thumb.

j4l

Agree~~if a BG gets that close to drop your mag, you(general) have bigger problems than a ambi mag release.

Exactly.
It's really a non-issue, even in cases of accidently hitting up against something, and the mag release being bumped. Been OC'ing my .45 with ambi safeties and mag releases for a few yrs, and never had an issue

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
My daily carry is a CZ82. It has ambi mag and safety. I do not use the safety and as for the mag release, you will not be getting that close.
Everyone is right, non issue.