Thread: In defense of stand your ground laws. Senate Judiciary Com. hearings today.

In defense of stand your ground laws. Senate Judiciary Com. hearings today.

"Who benefits from the law? Actually, since poor blacks who live in high-crime urban areas are the most likely victims of crime, they are also the ones who benefit the most from stand your ground laws. The laws make it easier for would-be victims to protect themselves when the police can't arrive fast enough. Therefore, rules that make self-defense more difficult disproportionately impact blacks. . . . "

http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2013/1...piece-for.html

"If blacks are supposedly being discriminated against because their killers so often are not facing any penalty, it must also follow that they are being discriminated in favor of when blacks who invoke a stand your ground defense are convicted at a lower rate than are whites. Those who interpret the data as evidence of racism are cherry-picking numbers.

Simple averages also missed important differences in these cases. The Tribune data shows blacks killed in these confrontations were 13 percentage points more likely to be armed than whites. This suggests that those claiming that they were defending themselves often reasonably believed that they had little choice but to kill their attacker.

By a 43 to 16 percent margin, the blacks killed were also more often in the process of committing a crime."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,6547820.story

I wonder how long it will take for the ChiTown Trib to correct this caption.
    http://www.trbimg.com/img-526efffd/t...g-20131028/600
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

The feds are going to tell a state what their SD laws should be.....hmm. non-story.

Banned
    How about a law that allows people to shoot people whenever they want (extreme examination of other side of coin).

I bet folks would be nicer to each other because conflicts would not be so much of a "I got a bigger d**k than you" mentality.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." (Robert A. Heinlein, 1942 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_This_Horizon)

Also -
    "I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
    Robert A. Heinlein
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Responsibility and accountability.....its the accountability part that philosophizers have a hard time pinning down when they are penning their works, too many people involved it seems for them.

Banned
    I see the difference between responsibility and accountability as follows:

Responsibility generates internally. Responsible people do responsible thing because they have a sense of responsibility for their actions.

Accountability generates externally. People (responsible or not) do the required thing because they are accountable to others for their actions.

i.e. Responsible is more of a moral duty. Accountable is more of a legal duty.

Unfortunately, folks often say "responsible" when they mean "accountable."

I think the 8 ton pink elephant in the room that know one seems inclined to recognize is........the violent felons who seem to be the only people in the U.S. who actually understand the 2A, and assert their right to keep and bear arms.

Ridiculous comparison ? Really...? I disagree.

It is the rest of us so-called "law-abiding" suckers who accept the unlawful infringements handed down from on high.

I am optimistic though - that we are slowly beginning to play catch up on this subject.

Crooks do not fear being held to account until they are to be held to account. We suckers do not desire to be held to account at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post

By a 43 to 16 percent margin, the blacks killed were also more often in the process of committing a crime."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,6547820.story

I wonder how long it will take for the ChiTown Trib to correct this caption.
    http://www.trbimg.com/img-526efffd/t...g-20131028/600
    The "caption" link is just a pic of the deceased adult's mother and the first link is only available to those with a US IP address. Someone mind posting what the actual caption is?

Thanks for quoting the article so that I could read it.