Thread: best holster

best holster

I'm new to open carry and am looking for the best holster for my ruger p94. I currently have a old faithful OWB hybrid holster, and a uncle mikes tactical open top OWB kydex paddle holster. My dad had some suggestions for me to think on such as pancake holsters and the like, I am open to any opinion as I have no experience myself with open carry. Also I am looking for a good gun belt if you have any info that may help me I will look it up and will consider all options.

thanks
    Last edited by superchris294; 10-29-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superchris294 View Post
    I'm new to open carry and am looking for the best holster for my ruger p94. I currently have a old faithful OWB kydex holster, and a uncle mikes tactical open top OWB kydex paddle holster. My dad had some suggestions for me to think on such as pancake holsters and the like, I am open to any opinion as I have no experience myself with open carry. Also I am looking for a good gun belt if you have any info that may help me I will look it up and will consider all options.

thanks
    It is hard for someone other than YOU to decide the best holster for you. Best suggestion I can give is trial and error. As for belt there are a lot of good choices, depending on how you intend to carry, some expensive, some not so expensive. If you are going to use a slide or pancake holster a waxed canvas belt will work just fine, cost~about ten bucks. On traditional holsters that use a loop you will need a much heavier belt. This can get very expensive unless you have the skills to make your own.

If you wish to make your own I can give you some suggestions, and the place where I buy some of my leather.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

TheBeltMan.net

I have two 1.5" wide stiffened sized to go over my winter coat, one in black and one in brown.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    TheBeltMan.net

I have two 1.5" wide stiffened sized to go over my winter coat, one in black and one in brown.
    I have made ALL my belts for less than one belt from the belt man. I am sure he does good work for the money, I would charge what he does for one of my belts. BUT because I can use my hands and brain I pay MUCH less. If the OP does not have the skill then he would need to pay through the nose, if he does he can have a quality belt for 1/5 of buying from a expensive vendor.

The one reason I am not in business is because I would charge so much for my work. It is not the cost of leather so much as the cost of my time to do it for someone else.

Unless they are a friend...
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

My cc belt was from the belt man. I have 2 everyday belts. The wilderness tactical, I use for work. My owb carry belt I picked up from the gun show for $45. That was two years ago, and it's double sided like my beltman.

The leather belts are 1.5", and double as a dress belt. The wilderness is 1.75. I feel, if you buy from a good dealer, you'll do fine.

Wolf makes a good point too. Nothing like making your own.

So...
    Light'em Up!
    Last edited by mpguy; 10-29-2013 at 06:55 PM.

The pancake was designed for concealed carry. It puts the gun uncomfortably tight against your side to minimize "printing" through a concealment garment. Some people might like that, though.

I'm a fan of nice leather. I have some holsters that approach the cost of the gun inside them. But I also like the Kydex holsters from BladeTech. Normally I like to carry my 1911 or my S&W 625 in nice leather, but if it's a working day with a chance of damaging the finish on anything, I'll pack the 1911 in Kydex for a worry-free day. And if I'm really worried, I'll pack a Glock in Kydex.
    Last edited by MAC702; 10-29-2013 at 07:41 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    The pancake was designed for concealed carry. It puts the gun uncomfortably tight against your side to minimize "printing" through a concealment garment. Some people might like that, though.
    I like pain as much as the next guy, but not a fan of it. OC in a leather holster from Galco is the way to go for me. Someday I may upgrade to a nice-looking custom (translation: made-by-me-since-I'm-too-poor-from-paying-tuition-to-pay-to-have-it-made) leather holster of the "BBQ gun" variety. Someday.

I'm a fan of nice leather. I have some holsters that approach the cost of the gun inside them. But I also like the Kydex holsters from BladeTech. Normally I like to carry my 1911 or my S&W 625 in nice leather, but if it's a working day with a chance of damaging the finish on anything, I'll pack the 1911 in Kydex for a worry-free day. And if I'm really worried, I'll pack a Glock in Kydex.
    Aren't you afraid of ruining those nice cusomizable grips on your Glo.... Oh. Never mind.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

I am a leather man myself, OK enough sex talk, but seriously I prefer leather. I'll try tomorrow to post a pic of the holster I just made for my newest OLD gun. Nothing can beat the custom fit of a wet molded holster. I have not decided if I will hot wax it or not yet. It is that or acrylic treatment. With acrylic it retains the color, but draw is not as smooth because the acrylic grips the gun. Hot wax is smoother than snot, but it darkens the color.

Slide holsters and pancake work on the same principle. The wide belt holes bring the gun tight to the body with even a canvas belt. I prefer slides, and like them for OC. Nothing beats the appearance of a attractive belt holster though.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I am a leather man myself, OK enough sex talk, but seriously I prefer leather. I'll try tomorrow to post a pic of the holster I just made for my newest OLD gun. Nothing can beat the custom fit of a wet molded holster. I have not decided if I will hot wax it or not yet. It is that or acrylic treatment. With acrylic it retains the color, but draw is not as smooth because the acrylic grips the gun. Hot wax is smoother than snot, but it darkens the color.

Slide holsters and pancake work on the same principle. The wide belt holes bring the gun tight to the body with even a canvas belt. I prefer slides, and like them for OC. Nothing beats the appearance of a attractive belt holster though.
    Do you have a picture of a slide holster, if you own one? Never seen one. I have a pancake holster, but it's nylon.

So...
    Light'em Up!

Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    Do you have a picture of a slide holster, if you own one? Never seen one. I have a pancake holster, but it's nylon.

So...
    Light'em Up!
    Not off hand, I'll try to post one tomorrow. But here is one I pulled from Google images~http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_li...sters/5g-a.jpg
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

As someone who has carried for several decades, I feel at least a little bit qualified to weigh in on this question. Actually, given the size and number of storage boxes holding all the holsters I bought that, based on actual use I have decided were for one or more reasons designed by babboons and made by epileptic hamsters, I am probably a world-class expert on this subject.

That said, let me set you straight.

The best holster is the one I am going to buy to replace the POS I currently am using that was the best thing since sliced bread until I actually strapped it on and walked around with my handgun stuffed in it.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

thank you all for the info I will take everything into consideration... and as for making my own belt i found that old faithful has a gun belt kit for $40 so i may look into that

Quote Originally Posted by superchris294 View Post
    thank you all for the info I will take everything into consideration... and as for making my own belt i found that old faithful has a gun belt kit for $40 so i may look into that
    That is a fair price for a belt where most of the work has already been done. You can make the belt even stiffer by hot waxing the belt, but it will darken the leather. Undyed leather will have a rich brown, any dark dyes will be almost black after the treatment. Hot waxing was a common used method of turning leather into armor in the middle ages. The leather will be very stiff, and in the case of holsters feel like kydex, though still have the rich beauty of leather. And very very water resistant.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

I carry my glock29sf in Blackhawks serpa best holster I've ever used .now safari land elitists will bash me for using a serpa . Same if I used a safari land the serpa elitists would bash me .i wear a suit and tie very often and the holster is easily accessible under the the sport coat .
    Last edited by Xion; 11-07-2013 at 11:34 AM.