• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"No Guns" sign at Municipal Utilities

RebeccaC

I went to Madisonville Municipal utitlities to get electric service on a house and was startled to see a "No guns" sign on the door. With a gun in a red circle with a slash through it. I have browsed through here looking for the pertinent threads but cannot find them....I thought cities could not ban carrying in Municipal buildings anymore?

RebeccaC

They can do anything they want to do until somebody stops them. Cities can prohibit CC in their buildings, if they pass the required ordinance. They can not prohibit OC. They can not prohibit any type of carry in open spaces. Is this a city building? Are they prohibiting CC, OC or both? Do the signs say "No Guns"(Weapons/Firearms) or do they say "No Concealed Weapons"? Is there any wording with the sign or just the "gun buster" circle/slash?
The two statutes that are relevant to this are KRS 237.115 and KRS 65.870. They can be read HERE and HERE.
I've looked at their website and this appears to be a city property. The City of Madisonville does have a "No Concealed Weapons" ordinance and it appears to be the proper ordinance.
If they are prohibiting OC, they are committing a crime. Are the same signs on other city buildings? I'd bet that they will claim to only prohibit CC, or pretend to not know the difference between OC and CC, or at least claim not to. The best way to find out is to go in there OC and see what they do. Record the event, of course. Can you get pictures of the signs and any wording nearby?

Ah, yes, it said "no concealed carry" with the gun buster symbol.......so they are in compliance. Thanks. Just checking. ;-)

self preservation

Ah, yes, it said "no concealed carry" with the gun buster symbol.......so they are in compliance. Thanks. Just checking. ;-)

Now go in there OC'ing. If they say anything to you just tell them that their ordinance has forced you to OC since CC is banned, and you are just respecting their ordinance.