• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just an odd no weapon sign question

Glocklover20

I'm not sure why this just came to mind but it did so I figured I'd ask. Most of you have seen the "no gun" signs or "no weapons" signs on a lot of stores in MS since HB2 passed. The most common sign I see is of the m16, grenade, switchblade, and a desert eagle. This means I can carry my ak, my pocketknife, my c4, and my glock right? On a more serious note, does this mean that if I hve on my pocket knife that I am subject to trespassing laws like I am if bring in my gun?

Last edited:

Wulf190

I'm not sure why this just came to mind but it did so I figured I'd ask. Most of you have seen the "no gun" signs or "no weapons" signs on a lot of stores in MS since HB2 passed. The most common sign I see is of the m16, grenade, switchblade, and a desert eagle. This means I can carry my ak, my pocketknife, my c4, and my glock right? On a more serious note, does this mean that if I hve on my pocket knife that I am subject to trespassing laws like I am if bring in my gun?

Hey I think that would not be for a legal length pocket knife I would think its there way of including anything that could be of danger.
So I guess you could go in with a razor sharp military e-tool (shovel for the uninformed) lol.
Then they would have to add that and a pointy stick :banghead:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Hey I think that would not be for a legal length pocket knife I would think its there way of including anything that could be of danger.
So I guess you could go in with a razor sharp military e-tool (shovel for the uninformed) lol.
Then they would have to add that and a pointy stick :banghead:

Don't forget the quick wit and sharp tongue as well as the lowly PEN!

XD9_MS

I don't think there is a "legal" or stipulations on signs. If I remember correctly the law says the sign has to be within ten feet from the property entrance.
No wording on what it has to say other than the "No guns allowed" thing. So basically whatever pictures they show there should be understood they mean ANY firearm.

I've heard if you have the enhanced CCW permit you can CC even with a sign. But haven't had the chance to verify that.

Last edited:

4angrybadgers

I don't think there is a "legal" or stipulations on signs. If I remember correctly the law says the sign has to be within ten feet from the property entrance.
No wording on what it has to say other than the "No guns allowed" thing. So basically whatever pictures they show there should be understood they mean ANY firearm.

I've heard if you have the enhanced CCW permit you can CC even with a sign. But haven't had the chance to verify that.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong on the sign!
MS Code 45-9-101(13) is what contains the sign definitions you refer to. You're a bit off on the requirements - there is a specific phrase quoted in the statute for the sign to be compliant, and it must be visible within 10 feet of every entrance. However, 45-9-101 defines the "license to carry stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver", and has nothing to do with weapons outside of the types named in the title. The pictures on the sign mean nothing when it comes to the legality of the sign.
45-9-101(13) said:
<snip>
the carrying of a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited."
<snip>

Now whether the sign itself (regardless of compliance with 45-9-101(13)) would count towards a notice of trespass, would be defined in Mississippi's trespass statutes. I'm not at all familiar with the statutes on trespass, so I can't comment at all.

Regarding the "enhanced" permit and compliant signs... A strict reading of the new language in 45-9-101(13) leads me to believe that the enhancement does nullify even the compliant signs. I seem to recall hearing that the AG(?) had made some kind of statement as such, also, but I wouldn't swear to it. As I said before though, this ONLY applies if you are carrying a "stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver" according to the permit's definition.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mscode/ is my source. The site's structure doesn't allow for direct links to the statutes, so you'll have to drill down to the relevant sections yourself.