Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The price of lead, bullets and ammo...

The price of lead, bullets and ammo...

Looks like the price on lead for casting, bullets, and loaded ammo may shoot up shortly.

TBG

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...r-usa-closing/
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

My father worked for the St Joe Lead company in MO, a sister to Doe Run, his mine was shut down in 1978. He was a drafting engineer for them. His brother was a accountant for Doe Run for many years and retired from them. His other brother was a manager for Doe Run as well. We have a long family history with them. Our family settled in the area of MO from Germany in the 1850s. My great great grandfather who came over, provided horses and blankets for southern troops in MO.

These mines and smelters have been closing and opening for years. Here is a good article from 2010 when this closing was announced.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...31e596cac.html

And this article. So you can see this has been off and on for years. They will find a way to continue. They always have.

http://www.dnr.mo.gov/env/herc/
    Last edited by Vegassteve; 10-30-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Stephen F. Austin's dad - Moses Austin - moved from Wytheville VA to open up a lead mine in Missouri. Dad got grant for colonizing Tejas and Stephen ended up starting Texas. Want to say Moses went broke in a financial panic and closed down the mine. Up and down business for sure.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Makes you wonder, what could be at home alternatives for lead.

So...
    Light'em Up!

How much of our bullet lead is actually coming from the domestic source anyway?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    How much of our bullet lead is actually coming from the domestic source anyway?
    Not a lot probably.

So...
    Light'em Up!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    Makes you wonder, what could be at home alternatives for lead.

So...
    Light'em Up!
    Plutonium ... excellent ....

Actually tin alloys seem best ...

EPA likes copper (but that's still poisonous to life - duh) so the environmental aspect is a red herring.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Plutonium ... excellent ....
    What a way to start the day. LMAO.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

The question is: exposure to which, lead or DU will kill you quicker? Answer: whichever one hits you first...

I just processed enough scrap and pure lead to last me a lifetime anyway. The problem is, with all the stuff lead is used in, it is another bad sign for our depleted economy.

TBG

I buy my lead reloading bullets from a guy in Montana. Seems to be a lot of sellers in that state as well. I never knew of the state being a lead producer but maybe it is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    The question is: exposure to which, lead or DU will kill you quicker? Answer: whichever one hits you first...

I just processed enough scrap and pure lead to last me a lifetime anyway. The problem is, with all the stuff lead is used in, it is another bad sign for our depleted economy.

TBG
    How many pounds?

So...
    Light'em Up!

Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    How many pounds?

So...
    Light'em Up!
    Never weighed it. Several hundred pounds I reckon...

TBG

Any truth to this?

I seen this on facebook, I don't know if it is real or not. There is to much fake stuff on there. Has anyone heard about any of this? Americas largest lead manufacture for ammo was shut down by the EPA.

http://dcclothesline.com/2013/11/02/...r-calls-quits/

the lead smelting plant in question has been on the rocks for some time, starting before obama was president.

I don't think it will skyrocket ammo prices, lots of lead is smelted overseas, several smelters exist in Canada. a good portion of what we'd consider "budget ammo" is imports. while it's concerning to see more industry offshored, I doubt it was part of a plan to dry up ammo supplies. think of how many lead products would be made, out of the production of that one smelter, how much do you think was used to make all or even most of the domestic ammo production? I doubt it was that much.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Add to that the fact that many bullet manufacturers do not use virgin lead but rather use recycled lead, like Sierra: http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2...ierra-bullets/
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Is there any truth to the notion that people can actually make the title of their thread descriptive of the subject?

Quote Originally Posted by BB62 View Post
    Is there any truth to the notion that people can actually make the title of their thread descriptive of the subject?
    No, that's simply unpossible.

Wash Times - Allen West - EPA rules new backdoor gun control via Ammunition

Update on EPA strategy and echoing earlier thread about lead mines closing, from Luciane.com

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...r-gun-control/
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

MILLER: Obama’s EPA closing smelter will not affect ammunition supply

“Manufacturers use recycled lead to make ammunition. They don’t buy from smelters,” Mr. Keane told me Monday. “The EPA closing, which has been in the works for a while, will have no impact on production, supply or cost to the consumers.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ffect-ammunit/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 12-02-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

The last remaining lead smelter, in Herculaneum MO, is closing down

The last remaining lead smelter, in Herculaneum MO, is closing down. This will undoubtedly affect the price of lead, since the lead that is mined in Viburnum MO will now be sent out of the US for smelting.
    Missouri’s Lead Belt has been the primary source of lead for the US since 1700. A lead smelter has been in operation in Herculaneum since 1892. This is why Lake City, Federal, and other ammunition companies have been located in the region. The recent articles on shot towers don’t really apply to the ammunition industry that existed on the bluffs of the Mississippi river, since no tower was needed. The top of the ‘shot tower’ was simply an overhang by the river.
    The EPA’s new clean air rules would require a $100 million dollar investment in new equipment. As such, the Doe Run Company has decided to close the site.

http://www.infowars.com/last-remaini...ter-120-years/
    Last edited by 28kfps; 12-08-2013 at 02:31 AM.

My father and his brothers spent many years working for doe run and St Joe lead co.. This smelter was on its way out a few years ago. They have been trying to hang on. It will not affect ammo production at all. As none was made from this plant. The mines in my home area have been shutting and closing for the last 40 years. Viburnum has closed and opened many times, as have other St Joe and Doe Run mines. In fact they are getting ready to open what was once called St Joe mine.

My statement is in no way a defense of the EPA and these rules which started under the last pres. And continued under this mess of a pres. Its just the facts. And ammo companies have come out this week to explain that it will have no effect on production.

Federal produces its ammunition at Federal's Anoka, Minnesota headquarters. (from Federals website)

Lake city plant is not located close to the mines at all in that region. The mines are close to St Luis and Lake City is up in the KC area.
    Last edited by Vegassteve; 12-08-2013 at 03:45 AM.

It has no choice but to affect bullets. Yes, bullets may be made out of recycled batteries, but with a major domestic smelting operation going away, the buyers of THAT lead will now be turning to other sources as well, and the recycled sources will be competing against the imported sources, blah, blah, blah. It will affect us, we just don't know how much yet.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

MILLER: Obama’s EPA closing smelter will not affect ammunition supply says NSSF Keane

“Manufacturers use recycled lead to make ammunition. They don’t buy from smelters,” Mr. Keane told me Monday. “The EPA closing, which has been in the works for a while, will have no impact on production, supply or cost to the consumers.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ffect-ammunit/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

There will still be lead smelted, just not here in the US. It will be shipped to other countries with less regulation and then shipped back to the US. It may drive prices up a very small amount, IMO. But if there is a big increase that would be the public's fault if they panic.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    There will still be lead smelted, just not here in the US. It will be shipped to other countries with less regulation and then shipped back to the US. It may drive prices up a very small amount, IMO. But if there is a big increase that would be the public's fault if they panic.
    Agreed. The US hasn't produced or more accurate, smelled lead on par with counties like China in a few years.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mpguy; 12-08-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast