• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The price of lead, bullets and ammo...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
It has no choice but to affect bullets. Yes, bullets may be made out of recycled batteries, but with a major domestic smelting operation going away, the buyers of THAT lead will now be turning to other sources as well, and the recycled sources will be competing against the imported sources, blah, blah, blah. It will affect us, we just don't know how much yet.

WalkingWolf

There will still be lead smelted, just not here in the US. It will be shipped to other countries with less regulation and then shipped back to the US. It may drive prices up a very small amount, IMO. But if there is a big increase that would be the public's fault if they panic.

mpguy

There will still be lead smelted, just not here in the US. It will be shipped to other countries with less regulation and then shipped back to the US. It may drive prices up a very small amount, IMO. But if there is a big increase that would be the public's fault if they panic.

Agreed. The US hasn't produced or more accurate, smelled lead on par with counties like China in a few years.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HPmatt

Agreed. The US hasn't produced or more accurate, smelled lead on par with counties like China in a few years.

I remember visiting El Paso over the last 30 years and Asarco was smelting lead/copper on the west side. You could taste the bitter taste of arsenic at the back of your throat when the wind was blowing up the mountain toward Mesa.

The smelter shut down about 15 years ago - the cost for EPA air compliance was about $300 million. Business filed Ch 11 due to pollution liability and is now owned by Mexicans.

renoglock22

This company has 2 other smelters in the U.S.. The one closing smelts primary lead, the other 2 that ammunition is made of recycles lead. This shouldn't affect ammo prices at all.

jpm84092

New Ammo Shortage? EPA Uses New Regulation to Ban Lead Bullet Manufacture

The current temporary occupant of the White House did not succeed in getting congress to ban certain firearms, so now he is going after all firearms by using EPA regulations to ban lead ammunition.

Link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/1...-regulations-bans-force-switch-to-green-ammo/

This will of course disproportionately hit those who can least afford a substantial rise in ammunition costs ass lead ammo disappears from the shelf and is replaced by "green" ammo costing substantially more per round.

Yellow Cat Out

jpm84092

“Manufacturers use recycled lead to make ammunition. They don’t buy from smelters,” Mr. Keane told me Monday. “The EPA closing, which has been in the works for a while, will have no impact on production, supply or cost to the consumers.” "Lawrence Keane is the senior vice president and general counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), which represents the ammunitions and firearms industry."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/2/obamas-epa-smelter-closing-will-not-affect-ammunit/

Thanks for sharing that. Still, I wonder if the news will create a new run on the ammo that is starting to reappear.

jpm84092

Thanks for the link

"“Manufacturers use recycled lead to make ammunition. They don’t buy from smelters,” Mr. Keane told me Monday. “The EPA closing, which has been in the works for a while, will have no impact on production, supply or cost to the consumers.” "Lawrence Keane is the senior vice president and general counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), which represents the ammunition and firearms industry."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/2/obamas-epa-smelter-closing-will-not-affect-ammunit/

Thanks for sharing that link. Still, I wonder if the news will spark a new run on the ammo that is beginning to reappear. With no new freshly mined from the earth) lead source, at some point the recycled lead will begin to diminish and thus affect both the price of lead weights for balancing tires and ammo prices. The recycling of lead pipes is pretty much past its prime.

A factor in rising ammo prices is extreme demand coupled with low supply (which is mostly due to hoarding - and yes, I am somewhat guilty of that). There are some of us out there who believe that if the "stuff hits the fan", once precious metals (gold, silver) tank, the new currency will be commonly used ammo.

Yellow Cat Out -

Last edited:

chowda

Still, I wonder if the news will spark a new run on the ammo

The firearms community seems to have more than their share of used car salesmen, so this will be just another excuse to see all those ads/gun show comments of "rare!, hurry!, get before banned! Soon to be banned!" etc. I saw the start of that in colorado during the clinton times and it seems to have died down during bush, but came back with a vengence during zerobama and his liberal/progressive ilk.

Keep buying firearms and ammo as normal. I mean doesn't everyone buy some each month/paycheck? ;)

Gil223

“Manufacturers use recycled lead to make ammunition. They don’t buy from smelters,” Mr. Keane told me Monday. “The EPA closing, which has been in the works for a while, will have no impact on production, supply or cost to the consumers.” "Lawrence Keane is the senior vice president and general counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), which represents the ammunitions and firearms industry."

And without lead smelters, exactly where will the virgin lead come from to initiate the recycling process? Is somebody expecting the outdoor shooting ranges to sift through the dirt and sand to recover lead? An indoor range might consider that, but it would be very impractical for most outdoor ranges. You can only recycle something so many times before there is not enough of it left to recycle. It's the "law of diminishing returns" in action. Combine minute fragments? That too will eventually lead to non-availability, even if 90% is recoverable each time. Virgin lead IS a naturally "renewable resource" - the EPA has just chosen not to allow further renewal (I have to wonder what wheel weights and battery plates will be made from now). Pax...

Franky

"“Manufacturers use recycled lead to make ammunition. They don’t buy from smelters,” Mr. Keane told me Monday. “The EPA closing, which has been in the works for a while, will have no impact on production, supply or cost to the consumers.” "Lawrence Keane is the senior vice president and general counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), which represents the ammunitions and firearms industry."

Neat article. Another chicken little conspiracy theory by the doomsday prepper/paranoid crowd gone pffffttt.

Campo6245

Terrible News

This is simply terrible. Talk about back door politics. Thank you for posting. It is crucial that fellow Americans know what is going on.

OC for ME

If you are trying to stock up on rim fire ammo today, you are already too late.
Got a bunch. Not more than I need, but pretty darn close. I've been stocking up on rim fire for many years now. Won't say I was stocking up cuz of a SHTF scenario, but hunting small game keeps a variety of meat in my freezer and the ammo goes quick when learnin youngins to handle and shoot safely and properly.

Gil223

So, you are saying that the SHTF will not be caused by EMP that will melt all metal, guns and ammunition? Or are you trying to cause a run on a common ammo in which you have a fiscal-economic interest?

I just stocked up on fifty liters of good wine to help me watch patiently this impending catastrophe.
In general, EMP's are more disruptive than they are destructive, having their greatest immediate impact on the electrical/electronic infrastructure. Altitude is one of the several variables that determine the scope of an EMP. My understanding, limited though it may be, is that neither a N-NEMP nor a HEMP would "melt metal". The greatest potential for damage outside the electrical infrastructure, would be from overheating of our wiring, and the resultant fires. The radioactive fallout from a HEMP could be widespread and devastating - depending upon the altitude and the power-level of the detonation - but, it would be secondary (a byproduct) to the HEMP's primary intent. Pax...

P.S. IANAP - the preceding is a layman's understanding of EMP hazards. ;)