Thread: Sanford, Florida bans guns for neighborhood watch volunteers. H/T John R. Lott, Jr.

Sanford, Florida bans guns for neighborhood watch volunteers. H/T John R. Lott, Jr.

"The new rules, to be released at a community meeting on November 5 in Sanford, Florida, will state explicitly that residents acting under the authority of neighborhood watch may not carry a firearm or pursue someone they deem suspicious.

"Neighborhood watch was always intended to be a program where you observe what is going on and report it to police. In light of everything that has gone on, that's what we're really going to go back and push. That's what this program is and that's all it is," said Shannon Cordingly, spokeswoman for the Sanford Police Department."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...0,494439.story

http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2013/1...ment-bans.html

Zimmerman Trial: Myth Busters: Did Zimmerman “chase” Martin against police orders? By Andrew Branca, June 16th, 2013 | Florida

http://lawofselfdefense.com/zimmerma...police-orders/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Well, there goes the neighborhood (watch). I can't imagine anyone willingly participating in a program like that where you give up your right to self defense. Of course, in our neighborhood we do it the old-fashioned way - we have a true neighborhood watch. Neighbors know each other and help out where we can and everyone helps keep an eye on what's going on. Nobody is going to get upset if we are armed while we do it or keep a close eye on a suspicious looking stranger, even if that means following them.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

That's the beat way. No government permission or commission. "Jiggers, 5-0!" is a legitimate warning.

This firearm 'ban' in unlawful and a violation of State Preemption.
    Those responsible face civil penalties and removal from office.
    I'm told Florida Carry's legal team is waiting for the official documents to be published.

Neighborhood watch is a volunteer basis, and as such a non merit position. The participants can tell the dept or town to take a flying leap. I hope they do, what are they going to do? Take away their stinkin badges...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    This firearm 'ban' in unlawful and a violation of State Preemption.
    Those responsible face civil penalties and removal from office.
    I'm told Florida Carry's legal team is waiting for the official documents to be published.
    And it appears that the policy may be modified as a result of a communication (threat) sent by an concerned citizen and gun owner. We'll see.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)

Banned
    They're doing it wrong.

Hey, stop armed intruder! Please stop. Why you pointing that gun at me? Call an ambulance!

Probably initiated by some official transplanted from Illinois.

So just keep an eye on your neighborhood while armed. Who needs to be part of any city sanctioned patrol group.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich7553 View Post
    And it appears that the policy may be modified as a result of a communication (threat) sent by an concerned citizen and gun owner. We'll see.
    Local news station reports......Sanford neighborhood watch volunteer's can keep their guns as long as they sign a waiver?

I guess the servants in Sanford understood the "communication" or the city attorney got their attention. I would bet on the latter!
    Last edited by 2OLD2W8; 11-05-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    “We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand

"free people ought...to be armed." In so doing we grasp the larger lesson that the ability to defend ourselves is part and parcel to our freedom. George Washington , January 7, 1790

UPDATE: Sanford police chief clarifies gun rules for Neighborhood Watch volunteers

Sanford Police Chief Cecil Smith on Tuesday clarified his position on whether Neighborhood Watch volunteers in his city will be allowed to carry firearms, blaming the confusion on his own faulty language. Neighborhood Watch volunteers won't be banned from carrying handguns, but participants of a different program, Citizens on Patrol, will be, he said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,1243831.story

“Smith has been chief for seven months,” Cashill said. “As an African-American who got his job because community pressure forced out his white predecessor, how could he make such a fundamental mistake? The difference between the two programs was a major point in Zimmerman’s trial.” Cashill said he believes someone must have taken Smith aside and explained the Constitution to him over the weekend. “Smith no more misspoke,” Cashill contended, “than Obama did when he said, ‘If you like your health plan, you could keep it.’”

http://www.wnd.com/2013/11/trayvon-s...80-on-gun-ban/