• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who Wants To Help Out DPD?

OC for ME

DETROIT (WWJ) - Detroit police on the beat in an insolvent city have resorted to buying their own gear.

That includes uniforms, according to Detroit Police Officers Association President Mark Diaz, who says the first compliment is issued by the Detroit Police Department — but officers are pretty much on their own after that.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/10/31/cops-buy-own-uniforms-bullets-in-cash-strapped-detroit/
I wonder if the good and honorable Mr. Diaz would be willing to use union funds, not marked for benefits, to assist the rank and file? It could mean that Mr. Diaz and the other union bureaucrats would need to tighten their belts for a change, in the name of public safety and officer safety of course.

FreeInAZ

Really - how much can a hoodie, baggy pants, and dew rags cost? That's what most DPD officers should be wearing. That way the public can easily identify the THUGs in DPD ranks.

They should watch this video everyday to remind them why they are where they are - decades of BS & federal overwatch and still not much good coming out of DPD

Most folks feel like this about DPD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_TYom5_gDk

Last edited:

Hevymetal

I'll say what I say when the telemarketers call for donations for Police bulletproof vests.

They choose their job, no on is forcing them to do it. No one subsidizes my job by buying me tools and equipment that I need to do my work and preform my duties. If they want a uniform, vest or a gun let them go buy it themselves if their department won't provide it for them.

They can take the tax deduction and get what they want.

Hevy

22Luke36

Isn't it normal practice in most businesses and trades to buy your own clothes?

These people make too much money already.

Raggs

In addition, Diaz said, although cops are given ammunition for weapons qualification, many officers have to buy their own bullets to have enough to stay sharp... Diaz said. “It’s not uncommon for officers to spend thousands of dollars a year just on ammunition.”

How uncommon? I would like numbers to prove that officers are practicing that much on their own dime. Also anyone know what qualifying for a DPD officer entails?

Maybe the DPD can throw a bake sale to get money for uniforms?

Michigander

It’s not uncommon for officers to spend thousands of dollars a year just on ammunition.”

How uncommon? I would like numbers to prove that officers are practicing that much on their own dime.

I certainly don't have much sympathy if it's the case. Basic proficiency of workable systems do not require that level of ammo consumption. Not a bad use of hobby money, but still not necessary.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I've heard rumors that Detroit's population has dwindled severely. Do they still keep hiring to maintain the same total number of police officers? Has their ratio of cops to population significantly been changed?

In other words, is this the reason for lack of sufficient funding?

That said, I see nothing wrong with cops buying their own uniforms. This is standard practice in many jobs that have a uniform.

EMNofSeattle

I've heard rumors that Detroit's population has dwindled severely. Do they still keep hiring to maintain the same total number of police officers? Has their ratio of cops to population significantly been changed?

In other words, is this the reason for lack of sufficient funding?

That said, I see nothing wrong with cops buying their own uniforms. This is standard practice in many jobs that have a uniform.

it's not uncommon for cops in rural areas to pay for their own stuff while making low wages.

my cousin applied for a SO in Montana what pays 13 bucks an hour and the only provided equipment is a uniform, badge, and gun belt. you have to buy your own gun off an approved list and your own cuffs, baton, etc....

22Luke36

Ok, anybody know how much they make, and how much they are going to have to spend? What exactly, are we really discussing here?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I guess the City of Detroit website is not yet updated.

It says they make $47k+ annually after only 5 years. I've never seen a job that nearly doubled in salary after 5 years. Wow.

Still says they get an annual uniform allowance. Maybe they just feel it isn't enough or doesn't cover replacements due to "damages" or not fitting into them anymore.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/DepartmentsandAgencies/PoliceDepartment/PoliceCareer.aspx

Primus

Ok, anybody know how much they make, and how much they are going to have to spend? What exactly, are we really discussing here?

Holy s........ 25,000 is their salary..http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Police-Officer-l-Detroit,-MI.html

Wow. So I hope some of the guys can take back at least some of the negative comments. So ammo is damn near a dollar a bullet and they make 25,000 a year. uniform shirts are 90 bucks a piece and pants are 100.00 a piece.

Put that together with they are cotton/wool/polyster and you have to touch nasty people and/or rip them fighting with people...... alot of money....

The only thing else I'll say is, to those who don't want to pitch in for guys getting extra AMMO (not food, clothes, gear, or even vests) remember you said that the next time they zing a civilian. Wait for the "they shot 10,000 roudns and missed the bad guys! These ......" That's the standard response when someone gets hit. We gets 100 rds per year for practice and we qualify/train firearms for one day a year. So do the math... we get 2 bullets to practice a week. Yes 2...... I happen to shoot more like 100 a week, but that's all money out of my pocket (money well spent).

This site didn't show the doubling of salary in 5 years. Duly noted. Yet the other numbers still apply.

Last edited:

22Luke36

So the cloth goes for 300, they can get a piece and holster for what, 700 max for a duty gun, a few hundred on a vest, footwear and there you are. You're clearing 400 a week with killer benefits, and have to spend at the most, a couple grand. Less than 10%, you'll get it done. I'd bet you could get your starter set from the graduation presents they got from the academy.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Don't forget to factor in their reimbursed college classes, full medical, optical, and dental, extra pay for odd shifts like afternoons, and 20-vacation days every year. Who else gets a paid month-off every year along with an annual pay increase that can pay for a couple courses at GunSite?

How many other 21-year-olds can even expect the meager salary of a first-year cop in any other profession?

Of course, topping out at just under $50K base salary might seem unfair when they look at what cops make in some other places.

Last edited:

Primus

A dollar a shot too dude? They don't just shoot JHP at the range you know, any more than we do.

Sure, you could reload or shoot FMJ low power target ammo for less money. But when you pull the trigger on your duty ammo HP High Power its different. I train like I fight, so I pay the price. Is that a bad thing?

22Luke36

It's not that uncommon for young college grads to have to sell some things in order to keep up with some of the initiation costs of certain careers. A mechanic for example has an initial investments in the thousands.