• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Va Supreme Court overturns Va Tech shooting verdict

Repeater

Virgina Tech has no duty to protect you and now Virginia Tech has no duty to warn you about others that may harm you.

Oh, did I mention that Virginia Tech wants you incapable of defending yourself also?

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/s...cle_3c829c66-4235-11e3-bd11-0019bb30f31a.html

Forget the fish in a barrel, they have perfected the perfect storm in a bottle.

I expected this opinion, and it is correct as a matter of law. What we should do know is hammer Haas and Goddard with the truth, whether they like it or not.

Thundar

Ok David what would you really do.

1) He could point a finger at her.

2 )He could point a finger at her and speak in a stern tone. (Be careful with this one, strange consequences a la "A Ferry Tale" are possible )

3) He could write a strongly worded letter.

4) If it is a public college/university in Virginia he could send them to FOIA hell.

5) He could walk around with a sign that warned about the dangers of gun free zones.

6) He could walk around with an openly carried firearm and a sign that warned about the dangers of gun free zones

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Nap's rule which I've stated before:

If you want to be safe from violent people, you have to be capable of and willing to be, more violent than they are.

911 is a death sentence and the courts are there just to get in the way of tending to your own affairs.

Something that our fine feathered friends on the left are and have been incapable of learning or understanding, this is a universal truth.

carolina guy

Doc, I understand your comment and the "brainwashing" power of the public school system. My responsibility as a parent was to counter-act as much of that propaganda as possible all through their school years, but that takes dedicated involvement in working with one's school-age children and providing points and counterpoints to the "official" dogma. This not only gave them a different point of view, it enhanced their critical thinking skills and prepared them to think about the content of their lessons and to form their own opinions.

As far as "guns" were concerned, they learned early on that a firearm was not a toy, but rather something to respect for its power to destroy, maim or kill. All three of my sons became proficient pistol and rifle shooters at an early age, and I never had any problems with "curiosity" or surreptitious access to any of the firearms in the home.

My basic point is this: We as parents are obligated to provide educational opportunities for our children, either through public, private or home schooling, but we remain primarily responsible for their education. That means we must interact with them to understand what they are being taught and to provide additional or contrary insights into the subject matter. Unfortunately, too many parents just "send their kids to school" and have no idea what they are being taught ... a very dangerous situation. By sending them off to school, we must not give up the primary responsibility for the quality of their education, else we will someday be very unpleasantly surprised at "how they turned out."

We have chosen the home schooling approach...cannot bring ourselves to trust the state (or even a private) school to be that involved in raising our children.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The problem is the majority of the kids in college are not like our kids.

I'm (still) at Virginia Tech, and in my major (EE) it would be a stretch to say that the majority are anti-gun. Sure, there are loads of foreign nationals who tend to be utterly ignorant about guns one way or the other, but I get complimented on my XD cap pretty much daily. My #1 source of amusement in this regard is hearing kids talk about their shiny new permission slips (which of course I am elitist about not possessing :)).

While there certainly are disciplines (and even whole universities) where progressivism dominates, it's my view that the "99% of professors and college students are progressive statists" meme was intentionally created and promulgated by a few academics for the purpose of associating (in their minds, at least) "progressivism" with intelligence and education.

For this reason, it's also my view that the worst thing we can do is just let them have this as a new Truth. We should aim to ensure their establishments always have a healthy mix of ideas – meaning lots of pro-gun students.

Last edited:

Justine

For this reason, it's also my view that the worst thing we can do is just let them have this as a new Truth. We should aim to ensure their establishments always have a healthy mix of ideas – meaning lots of pro-gun students.

I'm finishing up my degree at Regent in Virginia Beach and I'm always sure to park my truck right in front of the class room building's exit so that every student/faculty who leaves sees my VCDL, NRA, and GSL stickers. :D I've also encouraged VCDL membership and OCDO involvement with other student while awaiting classes to start. LOL Being that I'm several years older than most of the students, and the few other vets that are in class with me tend to value their 2A rights I do believe we've made some positive influence in that forum.