• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Remember the Alamo - keep it 100% under Texas control

HPmatt

Don't think the Daughters of Texas Independence nor the State of Texas will allow this to occur. Probably the democrat mayor of San Antonio stirring up turmoil as part of the class warfare organizing tactics in preparation for the 2014 election.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You aren't the source I expected this from.

It was obvious before I read it, and later made clear in the article, that Texas would still completely own and operate the Alamo, just like every other UNESCO site in the US. It just advertises that UNESCO approves of the site for certain reasons and promotes it.

Only one of approx 20 such sites in the US flies the UN flag. It's in Illinois. And while it flies the flag, it's just for advertising.

I'm no UN fan, but the sky isn't falling, either.

Last edited:

rushcreek2

Ask the defenders of the Alamo how they feel about the likes of a non-United States world government wanna-be dictatorship counting that hallowed ground among its other " compelling world interest " investments apart from the sacred place it holds in the hearts of Texans ? In other words ....BUTT OUT !

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Symbolism is an important aspect IMHO.

Last time I checked there was no UN blue in the Texas flag.......just sayin'

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I look at it the same way as when Fodor's Travel Guide lists a nice spot to visit when on vacation in a foreign country. Just because Fodor's says "this is a great place to visit with some compelling history to it!" doesn't mean anything except a few more tourists that have a Fodor's Guide.

It's up to the Alamo (Texas) as to whether or not they want to advertise that they are listed.

KBCraig

True: the UNESCO World Heritage Site designation has little practical governance effect in the U.S.

Also True: the UNESCO World Heritage Site designation has great governance effect throughout the rest of the world. European and UK historic sites have been co-opted and essentially surrendered to international control.

Worth noting: the Daughters of the Republic of Texas treated the Alamo as their own, and were vehemently anti-gun. They were smacked down on both counts by Texas courts, who ruled that the site belongs to all the people of the state of Texas, and because of that the DRT has no authority to ban guns or anything else.