Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Sheriff Acquitted

Florida Sheriff Acquitted

Good news out of Florida! Florida Sheriff Nick Finch was acquitted after being arrested and charged for defending the 2nd Amendment. Here's a link to the story:

http://www.infowars.com/sheriff-arre...nd-not-guilty/

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hartman View Post
    Good news out of Florida! Florida Sheriff Nick Finch was acquitted after being arrested and charged for defending the 2nd Amendment. Here's a link to the story:

Good news indeed, and a small victory for common sense and the 2nd Amendment.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homer_woohoo.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	10947

During the trial, the sheriff testified that he released Floyd Eugene Parrish, who was arrested for unlawfully carrying a firearm, because he believed the Second Amendment trumped all state gun laws. from link

This guy is a terrorist ! According to the FBI's characteristics that ID terrorists.

Seems like a good American to me !
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 10-31-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    Do not take any postings to be the opinion of the poster .. poster may be posting opinions of others and not necessarily himself ... carry on

"Filing a notice of trespass with your local, county, state authorities , to keep all town employees off your land, would cut down on the government from interfering or harassing you, at least put you in a little bit stronger legal position" .. chk you local laws (disclaimer)
    [/I]

Oath honoring sheriff acquitted

This is the guy who believes our natural, civil, and constitutional right to bear arms trumps the whims of the legislature and our kourt system. A good apple in a barrel of fetid rot.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    During the trial, the sheriff testified that he released Floyd Eugene Parrish, who was arrested for unlawfully carrying a firearm, because he believed the Second Amendment trumped all state gun laws. from link

This guy is a terrorist ! According to the FBI's characteristics that ID terrorists.

Seems like a good American to me !
    OK that was funny. Chalk one up for David.
    fág an bealach
    ACTA NON VERBA
    At OCDO there are two things that are not tolerated, open carry intolerance and long gun open carry.
    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

He was not charged with defending the 2nd amendment, he was charged with destroying public records and official misconduct.

He will be in the news again shortly, I predict.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post

This is the guy who believes our natural, civil, and constitutional right to bear arms trumps the whims of the legislature and our kourt system. A good apple in a barrel of fetid rot.
    Perhaps he'll be a little more circumspect in his actions now. Like just telling his deputies not to make the arrests in the first place. That would be a much smarter approach.

I predict he'll be in the news again shortly for some other brouhaha.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post

I have no problem with the ordering a release, the destruction of records bothers me. destroying public records is not "honoring your oath" if for somereason a lawsuit was filed against the sheriffs department alleging patterns of bad arrests, would those types of records be useful?

releasing man because he believes no crime is committed=GREAT

destroying records without authority.....= NOT GREAT
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    He was not charged with defending the 2nd amendment, he was charged with destroying public records and official misconduct.

He will be in the news again shortly, I predict.
    He was ACQUITTED of destroying public records and official misconduct. He defended the 2nd Amendment by nullifying an arrest made by one of his deputies, which he correctly deemed to be in violation of the Constitution he swore to uphold. If only all sheriffs were so honorable.

I'm quite confident that the good sheriff's views on the 2A are not unknown to his subordinates, in other words, his views were not a secret and just came to light as of the arrest of Mr. Parrish. It is interesting that his subordinates blindly follow unconstitutional laws in every situation regardless of the facts of that situation. If I were the good sheriff I would be scouting for some new employees who were better able to remember the oath that they all voluntarily took.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I'm quite confident that the good sheriff's views on the 2A are not unknown to his subordinates, in other words, his views were not a secret and just came to light as of the arrest of Mr. Parrish. It is interesting that his subordinates blindly follow unconstitutional laws in every situation regardless of the facts of that situation. If I were the good sheriff I would be scouting for some new employees who were better able to remember the oath that they all voluntarily took.
    It would have been much smarter (legal) to just inform his deputies not to make any firearms arrests in the first place. So I'm just as confident that this was a friend of a friend situation.

If I were the good sheriff I would be scouting for some new employees who were better able to remember the oath that they all voluntarily took
    Like replacing all the folks that answered truthfully during the investigation? I expect that to happen as well. That is why I think he'll be in the news again, soon. He appears to act based on emotion rather than logic.

It would have been much smarter (legal) to just inform his deputies not to make any firearms arrests in the first place. So I'm just as confident that this was a friend of a friend situation.

Like replacing all the folks that answered truthfully during the investigation? I expect that to happen as well. That is why I think he'll be in the news again, soon. He appears to act based on emotion rather than logic.
    Agreed on both counts. What I don't know is whether or not the good sheriff did not in fact enact such a policy, verbally obviously, and one deputy did not follow his verbal policy.

Does this case boil down to a employment issue, or is it really nothing more than a basic legal issue, beyond the specific charges and subsequent acquittal.

Agreed on both counts. What I don't know is whether or not the good sheriff did not in fact enact such a policy, verbally obviously, and one deputy did not follow his verbal policy.

Does this case boil down to a employment issue, or is it really nothing more than a basic legal issue, beyond the specific charges and subsequent acquittal.
    Does the underlying reason really matter?

Personally I prefer my Sheriff's not to violate laws A & B because of his personal feeling on law C.
    Last edited by notalawyer; 11-01-2013 at 10:58 AM.

I see. I can only conclude that your comment suggests that the acquittal was handed down in error.

It is ironic that when a official record is ordered to be "expunged" (destroyed?) they are found to be extremely difficult to destroy. When a cop just tosses one into a circular file on his own all hell breaks loose.

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    I have no problem with the ordering a release, the destruction of records bothers me. destroying public records is not "honoring your oath" if for somereason a lawsuit was filed against the sheriffs department alleging patterns of bad arrests, would those types of records be useful?

releasing man because he believes no crime is committed=GREAT

destroying records without authority.....= NOT GREAT
    Guess it depends on how FL laws require the creation and storage of records. If the Sheriff felt that the arrest was wrong or illegal, then the paperwork accompanying it would also be invalid, true?
    "You cannot REASON someone out of a position that they did not REASON themselves into." --Unkown
    ---------
    If you are going to be stupid, you better be tough!

--------
    "All generalizations are false, including this one." - Samuel Clemens
    ---------
    "A right delayed is a right denied." -- MLK Jr.
    ---------
    "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    Guess it depends on how FL laws require the creation and storage of records. If the Sheriff felt that the arrest was wrong or illegal, then the paperwork accompanying it would also be invalid, true?
    no, it would be evidence of a bad arrest or evidence of the deputy violating a department directive not to make arrests for CCW.

what if the deputy who arrested the man Finch released lied on his report or violated the mans rights? well there's no longer any paper evidence of perjury even if someone later comes forward and says he witnessed something contradicting the deputies story.... that's a good example of how paper work of a bad arrest is still important for the public eye...

lets use a hypothetical example

say the CCWer arrested told the deputy "I do not consent to searching my jacket"

the officer searches anyway finds the guns, arrests and then puts on his report "suspect gave me consent to search jacket". that would be perjury, no prosecutor wants that officer's testimony anymore.

sheriff destroys the reports and records.

later someone who videotaped the encounter comes forward with the tape, the tape shows the man refusing consent. that deputy can be fired so no one likes a known liar. but now he can say "no he did refuse consent but I had PC/officer safety exemption/ yada yada yada" and there's no paper evidence.

I'm not saying this is what happened, or that anything remotely like this happened, this is just why I think paperwork needs to be kept and not destroyed without proper authority.
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 11-01-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Do I think destruction of records should be policy, or should be condoned? No.

However, I suspect that was happened here was something along the lines of, "You know I don't want us to be making these arrests, and yet you did it anyway. You know where this is going? That's right…" (dumps it in the trash)

In this case, I have little issue with an acquittal.

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    no, it would be evidence of a bad arrest or evidence of the deputy violating a department directive not to make arrests for CCW.

what if the deputy who arrested the man Finch released lied on his report or violated the mans rights? well there's no longer any paper evidence of perjury even if someone later comes forward and says he witnessed something contradicting the deputies story.... that's a good example of how paper work of a bad arrest is still important for the public eye...

lets use a hypothetical example

say the CCWer arrested told the deputy "I do not consent to searching my jacket"

the officer searches anyway finds the guns, arrests and then puts on his report "suspect gave me consent to search jacket". that would be perjury, no prosecutor wants that officer's testimony anymore.

sheriff destroys the reports and records.

later someone who videotaped the encounter comes forward with the tape, the tape shows the man refusing consent. that deputy can be fired so no one likes a known liar. but now he can say "no he did refuse consent but I had PC/officer safety exemption/ yada yada yada" and there's no paper evidence.

I'm not saying this is what happened, or that anything remotely like this happened, this is just why I think paperwork needs to be kept and not destroyed without proper authority.
    What we do not know is what the stated (and trained) policy was/is for this department. It is entirely possible that the policy is changing and the person arrested would have had little recourse otherwise.

Hard to tell without more information...
    "You cannot REASON someone out of a position that they did not REASON themselves into." --Unkown
    ---------
    If you are going to be stupid, you better be tough!

--------
    "All generalizations are false, including this one." - Samuel Clemens
    ---------
    "A right delayed is a right denied." -- MLK Jr.
    ---------
    "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

It is ironic that when a official record is ordered to be "expunged" (destroyed?) they are found to be extremely difficult to destroy. When a cop just tosses one into a circular file on his own all hell breaks loose.
    Probably because no official record is ever truly destroyed, not today's digital climate. Even if a state arrest record is expunged, it's still available to the Fed's.

Does the underlying reason really matter?

Personally I prefer my Sheriff's not to violate laws A & B because of his personal feeling on law C.
    It's a good thing that in this case the sheriff didn't have to violate any laws to defend his feelings on upholding his oath to the Constitution. I'm not sure why that pisses you off so bad. I hope that if you are ever arrested for engaging in a constitutionally protected act, that your sheriff will conduct himself in a way that conforms to the views you shared in this case.

By the way, it took me awhile to find this thread after the moderators moved it. I don't live in Florida, so I typically don't visit the Florida forum. I just wanted to thank the moderator for wasting my time in having to locate the thread I started. Thanks!

It's a good thing that in this case the sheriff didn't have to violate any laws to defend his feelings on upholding his oath to the Constitution. I'm not sure why that pisses you off so bad. I hope that if you are ever arrested for engaging in a constitutionally protected act, that your sheriff will conduct himself in a way that conforms to the views you shared in this case.
    It does not 'piss me off' at all. I would just prefer that Florida Sheriff's do not violate laws. Especially when those specific laws have nothing, at all, to do with his personal feelings regarding the constitutionality of another completely unrelated law.

And yes, it is his personal opinion about the unconstitutionality of the firearms laws. Regardless if I agree with him or not ( I do) no court of competent jurisdiction has ruled these laws unconstitutional. Therefore he may have actually violated both his oath and the law. However, I was not present at trial and have not reviewed the evidence presented (although the evidence released to the public at the beginning of the case was quite damming.) The jury has spoken, it is over.

I hope that if you are ever arrested for engaging in a constitutionally protected act, that your sheriff will conduct himself in a way that conforms to the views you shared in this case.
    I can only hope to get a Sheriff that is honest and follows the law.

I see. I can only conclude that your comment suggests that the acquittal was handed down in error.
    I would never be so presumptuous as to suggest the jury made an error.

The initial information released to the public was very damming.

I was not present at trial to observe the 'justice system' in action here, but I am well acquainted with the common understanding the the justice system has nothing to do with justice, it's just a battle between lawyers to see who can win.

The trial is over, and he's Sheriff again. He'll be back in the news soon - mark my words.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast