• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Sheriff Acquitted

OC for ME

So anyone here actually reside in this sheriff's county?

Is this a free reign to OC in this county? Would one still need to fear city cops and state troopers?
I recommend that you follow the law regardless of location and do not rely upon the largesse of others for your liberty, especially cops. OC in FL is a no-no and the good sheriff will certainly have his deputies give you a ride to the station so that he can explain it to you.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
You're all missing the boat...

JURY NULLIFICATION. The power of the people to override a BS law when the kourts and legislators are too corrupt to do what the people tell them to do.

End of conversation.

Yeah, I still read you people's crap from time to time.

I plan to ride over to his place and give him some money to help him recover. What are YOU doing? Bickering about irrelevant crap on your sacred useless-handguns-only forum?

Move to TX and OC your rifle, and, stop wasting your time fighting a war you have no intention of winning.

ADulay

Move to TX and OC your rifle, and, stop wasting your time fighting a war you have no intention of winning.

Hey ixtow,

Good to hear from you.

I've since found a nice way to carry the rifle on the motorcycle and it even looks decent!

No need to move to TX for now as the Winchester sits nicely next to my right leg now with no problems.

AD

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Now why the hell should we take this war to Texas? They aren't even pro-gun in Texas. Might as well go to California.

They have Long Gun Open Carry. Which, I know, is agaisn the laws of this forum to discuss, so we really shouldn't be repeating it. I merely enjoy pointing out that even in Florida Carry's current Case, it's impossible to avoid that fact that OC was the foundational Right that the 2A referred to, and even this forums opposes it. So, how can you expect to win a battle you have forbidden people to even discuss? Why isn't Florida CArry banned from mentioning their case here? Handguns are a stupid half-measure and self-limitation that guarantees failure. How many 'limited wars' have been 'won,' anywhere, ever? Playing defense means you 'compromise' and the other side gives up nothing, so it isn't really compromise, is it?

Anyway, I wasn't meaning to derail the thread or make a debate about a topic that isn't allowed. Just point out that TX has more tangilble Rights than Florida does, no matter how you choose to represent it in your own speech. I'd prefer to carry a long gun anyway, so the limited, self-defeating objectives and rules of this forum are moot for my interests. TX also doesn't have a statewide uniform building code, so one can build above standard instead of being forecd to a minimum stupidity of easilly destroyed buildings, as Florida has and does. You'd think that a State that has so many threats from hurricanes wouldn't do that, while complaining that insurance companies want to pull out... But that's jsut how damn stupid Floridians as a whole are, they have no idea.

So, that's 2 huge wins for TX in my book. I can sling my RFB and build in accordance to Math, Science, and Common Sense. How can I avoid it? Florida is worthless and has far too many sissy boys and sheeple voters to ever make real progress.

Think as you like, being wrong won't alter reality. TX has a sane senator, not to mention former rep Ron Paul. FL has what? Rubio is a dancing, pandering fool and Nelson, well, uh... Yeah... I'm just not seeing a foundation for the angle you've presented, and it's off topic.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Hmm. Florida is anti-gun too.

Frankly, we don't need to be able to legally carry long guns for defense against tyranny; we merely need to be able to possess them. (That's not to justify the prohibition thereof, merely to explain the lack of emphasis on the issue.)

After all, opposing tyranny will be illegal, so if one ventures down that road, who cares how many carry offenses are thrown on top?

Meanwhile, the OC of handguns serves the immediate purpose of self-defense against non-governmental tyrants (criminals), and furthers the keeping and bearing of arms as a social trend. I do see more OCers than I did when this little movement was in its inception, and that means the RKBA is more visible. That's a worthy objective and a win, if not a total victory of the sort you seek.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Hey ixtow,

Good to hear from you.

I've since found a nice way to carry the rifle on the motorcycle and it even looks decent!

No need to move to TX for now as the Winchester sits nicely next to my right leg now with no problems.

AD

I enjoy your perpetually upbeat attitude, no matter how abrasive I may be. A man who sees the content instead of an excuse to be a troll.

My bike has nowhere to put stuff. Bobberized Rebel. It doesn't even have a real seat... But it does have pipes now, the open manifold was a bit grating... If you're ever this direction, let me know, so long as you don't mind staining your reputation by associating with me, lols! You could always go on a trip to a shooting range in the Osceola... Probably have to stop for gas tho... It'd be interesting to take 19 up through Pinellas, Pasco, Hernando and Citrus...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I enjoy your perpetually upbeat attitude, no matter how abrasive I may be. A man who sees the content instead of an excuse to be a troll.

Ah, you said it yourself, ixtow. You're abrasive, but no troll. "Troll" is an easy epithet to throw around. Meh; ignore the haters.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Hmm. Florida is anti-gun too.

Frankly, we don't need to be able to legally carry long guns for defense against tyranny; we merely need to be able to possess them. (That's not to justify the prohibition thereof; merely to explain the lack of emphasis on the issue.)

After all, opposing tyranny will be illegal, so if one ventures down that road, who cares how many carry offenses are thrown on top?

Meanwhile, the OC of handguns servers the purpose of immediate self-defense against non-governmental tyrants (criminals), and furthers the keeping and bearing of arms as a social trend. I do so more OCers than I did when this little movement was in its inception, and that means the RKBA is more visible. That's a worthy objective and a win, if not a total victory of the sort you seek.

That's an interesting counter-point, but it brings up the issue that once one cannot carry for counter-insurgency, the government has already crossed the line and needs to be exterminated. The fact that you have accepted it belies the reason for the bent logic you present. Having relegated that to failure, and ACCEPTED that failure with no plans to resist or take it back, is the root issue here.

I carry an all-purpose long-gun because it is all-purpose. I might spot a hog... Some of them are over 800lbs. Not to mention the 12+ point bucks that trot around on a regular basis. Cops around here think my RFB is just the coolest thing, so I don't pack the green-tip sabots anymore. One in particular told me "The ATF is so gay." (that's a quote from a cop, not a hate-speech). Up in GA I've had only one negative experience while OCing my RFB. And it was nowhere near as bad as the time I was felony stopped by 3 cops for OCing my 1911 in the same place... Derp for the arguments in favor of OCing useless guns only... You should see the glass on this thing. Not to mention, I can be on target before you can draw from your holster OC or CC. Out to 25yds, I'm still on COM wihtout even using the sights. What's the useful range of a handgun, and how accurate are you WITH your sights and how long does it take you to be certain of that trigger pull? I can have a confident, safe trigger pull in under half a second from a resting position.

Limiting yourself to a handgun in order to be politically correct is a demand for failure in every conceivable way. Let the moderators note that I did not intend this to be a conversation, I'm just replying to valid, natural debate... But, of course, the only way to win the argument is to forbid it. The neo-con politicist version of "I'm offended."

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Ah, you said it yourself, ixtow. You're abrasive, but no troll. "Troll" is an easy epithet to throw around. Meh; ignore the haters.

I get lots of neo-soviet hate-mail on my website, so I keep this one in my back pocket at all times:

haters-gonna-hate-animated-gif.gif

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
That's an interesting counter-point, but it brings up the issue that once one cannot carry for counter-insurgency, the government has already crossed the line and needs to be exterminated. The fact that you have accepted it belies the reason for the bent logic you present. Having relegated that to failure, and ACCEPTED that failure with no plans to resist or take it back, is the root issue here.

First of all, I don't live in Texas or Florida. Second, there's a different between what I consider to be "politically unacceptable" and what I might defend as this forum's intended purpose. For instance, I don't believe any aspect of the prohibition of drugs to be "politically acceptable" – or for that matter morally defensible – and I oppose it in every way I know how. But that is not the stated purpose of this forum.

You're saying that today, the OC of long guns in Florida is more important than the OC of handguns. And I'm saying, no, if we have to prefer one, the OC of handguns is more immediately useful, and serves as a better potential means of furthering the right in general – to include the OC of long guns too, hopefully sooner rather than later. But I'm not the one who called either "worthless", so you started us down that road.

I carry an all-purpose long-gun because it is all-purpose. I might spot a hog... Some of them are over 800lbs. Not to mention the 12+ point bucks that trot around on a regular basis. Cops around here think my RFB is just the coolest thing, so I don't pack the green-tip sabots anymore. One in particular told me "The ATF is so gay." (that's a quote from a cop, not a hate-speech). Up in GA I've had only one negative experience while OCing my RFB. And it was nowhere near as bad as the time I was felony stopped by 3 cops for OCing my 1911 in the same place... Derp for the arguments in favor of OCing useless guns only... You should see the glass on this thing. Not to mention, I can be on target before you can draw from your holster OC or CC. Out to 25yds, I'm still on COM wihtout even using the sights. What's the useful range of a handgun, and how accurate are you WITH your sights and how long does it take you to be certain of that trigger pull? I can have a confident, safe trigger pull in under half a second from a resting position.

That's swell. But, again, I don't advocate for the prohibition of your preferred mode of carry. Again, I'm not the one who said your mode of carry was "worthless". I'm simply explaining the preferences of this forum.

I myself spend a lot of time in public places, driving around, etc. A handgun is far more convenient for these purposes, to the point that it's doubtful I'd regularly be armed at all if long guns were the only option.

But this is why, when it comes down to it, I never advocate for or endorse the prohibition of any non-aggressive preference. OC, CC, long gun, handgun, gay, straight, Christian, atheist, teetotaler or drug addict (licit or otherwise), any mix of all of the above – none of that concerns me.

Limiting yourself to a handgun in order to be politically correct is a demand for failure in every conceivable way. Let the moderators note that I did not intend this to be a conversation, I'm just replying to valid, natural debate... But, of course, the only way to win the argument is to forbid it. The neo-con politicist version of "I'm offended."

In my experience, that particular rule isn't enforced against every violation of its letter. Although, this is perhaps getting a bit off-topic from the OP.

Anyway, accusing someone of being "politically correct" is really an uncharacteristically (for you) thoughtless denigration. I think we can do better than Limbaugh/O'Reilly-level discourse, here. :)

You're right, there is some consideration made for "public sensitivities", but that's only natural. Most of us aren't at war with society. Heck, I myself believe that society itself is pretty decent for the most part, and that government is in many ways not a product of our society, but a separate parasitic entity feeding on that society and sometimes shaping it (or attempting to shape it) to fit its own ends.

I would like to see the RKBA's acceptance in American culture continue to exist, and preferably grow. I would like that, really, more than I'd like to win some kind of epic legal struggle where I "force" (<-- forgive the loose usage) acceptance on everyone (how does one do that, anyway?). Thinking about it, I feel that the only truly voluntarist way to get what I want is through the maintenance/establishment of socially shared values.

There are times and places where the OC of long guns is eminently practical. For instance, whenever there are hogs about. :D There are other times and places where a long gun seems starkly out of place, to the extent that people will actually start to question your motives (if not intentions) – see the hoopla over "Starbucks Appreciation Day" and a few of the rather douchey selfies which resulted and are floating around. In most (if not quite all) of these times and places, carry of a handgun instead seems far more normal. If the normalization of daily firearm carry is the goal (it's one of mine), then it stands to reason that doing so in the manner which strikes most people as the most normal is the best way to go about it.

You can call that "political correctness", if you like. But I'll call that intellectual laziness. :)

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
You're saying that today, the OC of long guns in Florida is more important than the OC of handguns.

No. I didn't say that. I'm saying that there shouldn't be a preference.

And I'm saying, no, if we have to prefer one

If we have to prefer one? How about not preferring one? We don't have to... It's a self-imposed limit on a website that says "a right unexercised is a right lost." It the choice to lose in advance and then declare victory...

the OC of handguns is more immediately useful

An opinion that I have proven false. At least for myself. I'm much more comfortable with a rifle, much faster on target, and much better trained. The smallest minority is the individual. Is this not about an individual right? I carry what suits me best.

and serves as a better potential means of furthering the right in general – to include the OC of long guns too, hopefully sooner rather than later. But I'm not the one who called either "worthless", so you started us down that road.

Handguns are useless. TO ME. I have them, but I can't take them seriously. Why force myself to settle for the tool I'm not very good with, when I'm so damn good with a different one?

I'm not the one who said your mode of carry was "worthless". I'm simply explaining the preferences of this forum.

Point taken. This forum wants to fail. It's why I don't spend much time here anymore. I want to win. I don't hang out with people who don't want to win.

I myself spend a lot of time in public places, driving around, etc. A handgun is far more convenient for these purposes, to the point that it's doubtful I'd regularly be armed at all if long guns were the only option.

I'm not suggesting any mutual exclusivity. Carry an RPG if you want... I think there might be overpenetration issues if you don't know how to handle it. But, I figure, if you are carrying it, it's because it's what you're best with and have considered that, and will consider that whne choosing your target, and what is beyond it.

My RFB has started a hell of a lot more conversations thant he handgun that most people don't even notice... If nobody knows, how is it helping?

But this is why, when it comes down to it, I never advocate for or endorse the prohibition of any non-aggressive preference. OC, CC, long gun, handgun, gay, straight, Christian, atheist, teetotaler or drug addict (licit or otherwise), any mix of all of the above – none of that concerns me.

I agree. We can't fight about agreeing, can we? I'm simply pointing out the self-destructive nature of this forum. If you don't fight to win, you won't. Florida Carry is slowing figuring that out...

In my experience, that particular rule isn't enforced against every violation of its letter. Although, this is perhaps getting a bit off-topic from the OP.

I only suggest that the OC map is deceptive. It tells people that ther is no OC in TX. And GA is Licensed OC only. Not true. It jsut depends ont he gun in question. Both TX and GA are Gold Star if you've got a long gun. And while I know that isn't the objective of the site, it's still very useful information in the same general thread. The agenda is too tight.

Anyway, accusing someone of being "politically correct" is really an uncharacteristically (for you) thoughtless denigration. I think we can do better than Limbaugh/O'Reilly-level discourse, here. :)

It was stated more for the purpose of being concise and expedient. Much like cursing. Sure, I can convey my thoughts without it, I can be downright poetic if I want, but it just saves a lot of time to say "f*ck." We both get the idea. The handgun notion is all about not offending the sheeple. But who takes the baton next? The people who aren't allowed? Where do you go from here when you've already decided that everything else is off limits? How do you win when you're afraid of the finish line?

You're right, there is some consideration made for "public sensitivities", but that's only natural. Most of us aren't at war with society.

Ah, the faceless monolith. When a society declares ware on common sense, it declares war on those who have it. It's an intersting slight of hand you pulled there. Societies of all kinds are always declaring war on the rights of the individual. Read a book... Societies are formed to bully and subjugate those who don't willing give in to collectivism.

Heck, I myself believe that society itself is pretty decent for the most part

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. Societies are formed to benefit the individual, in theory, but in practice, never do...

and that government is in many ways not a product of our society, but a separate parasitic entity feeding on that society and sometimes shaping it (or attempting to shape it) to fit its own ends.

I wish it were so. But believing it through rose-colored goggles isn't going to make it that way... I intend to know the truth and provide for it. Hope and Change, eh? OK, that was a cheap shot... Just giving you crap.

I would like to see the RKBA's acceptance in American culture continue to exist, and preferably grow. I would like that, really, more than I'd like to win some kind of epic legal struggle where I "force" (<-- forgive the loose usage) acceptance on everyone (how does one do that, anyway?). Thinking about it, I feel that the only truly voluntarist way to get what I want is through the maintenance/establishment of socially shared values.

And how will you share those values if you've muzzled yourself and curtailed your own rights?

There are times and places where the OC of long guns is eminently practical. For instance, whenever there are hogs about. :D There are other times and places where a long gun seems starkly out of place, to the extent that people will actually start to question your motives (if not intentions) – see the hoopla over "Starbucks Appreciation Day" and a few of the rather douchey selfies which resulted and are floating around. In most (if not quite all) of these times and places, carry of a handgun instead seems far more normal. If the normalization of daily firearm carry is the goal (it's one of mine), then it stands to reason that doing so in the manner which strikes most people as the most normal is the best way to go about it.

You made my point for me... Normal. Would OCing a handgun have been called normal by ANYONE 15 years ago? So, this is where you stop? Right on the edge? Why is one considered "more" than the other in the first place? Allowing it to be framed int aht disingenious way is the first slide downt he slippery slope you just barely manged to pull yourself up out of! If you're going to stand right there at the edge, expect to be going back down soon...

You can call that "political correctness", if you like. But I'll call that intellectual laziness. :)

I do call it political correctness, because that's precisely what it is. You even defined it as such yourself by talking about 'normal' the way you do. Normal is in charge of rights? Normal decides I should carry a handgun I suck with instead of the rifle I'm good with?

Normal rests on it's faux-laurels instead of considering what to do next. I think the Forum's goals started as a way to limit the scope of the mission so that success could be more easilly defined, but has become a crusade against common sense under the guise of "I'm acceptable and you're not" snob crapola. I couldn't give a flying fornication about what normal is. Not becasue I'm at war with society, but becasue I'm an individual. Like it or not, war has come. It just so happens that said society has declared war on the rights I hold dear and I don't see that cutting off my nose in advance to spite someone else's face is a path to sustained respect for individual rights. Cuz, you know, a right unexercised is a right lost... Why negotiate your rights away when you can throw them away outright and declare victory? If you don't win the fight because you never bothered to fight the fight, you haven't won. You surrendered pre-emptively just so you could say "I didn't lose" and color it as a win...

I'm saying that my position is fundamentally different and more useful becasue it is based on a bigger goal, not 'limited victory' which is, in fact, not a victory at all. To merely not lose by forfeit is not a victory (I split the living crap out of that infinitive, TWO words shoved in there!). I see your points, but I also see past them. I started OCing my rifle out of an odd necessity of unexpected circumstances. But, it's been a lot better for me and for conversation. So, I've stuck with it. I was subscribing to the "I might scare people with my badass rifle and that won't do any good." I didn't take any ****** selfies. I've no desire to wag my d!ck at anyone. It just makes sense for me. It's not about everyone else, that would be collectivism by definition. It's not that I don't care, it's that I don't pretend that it applies. There is no right to be a neurotic panty wetter that tells other people to piss on their own rights.

Tubgirl gun owners. Pre-emptively crapping in their own face so that the job is already done and they don't have to worry about anyone else crapping in their face. Get mad if someone else doesn't want to crap in their own face along with you. The Devil you know, right? You didn't lose, you can call it a win now... Leave out the part where you forfeited...

Of course, I've been crude and abrasive. I don't beleive crude topics deserve to be presented out of flavor. Mmmm, flavor....

ADulay

If you're ever this direction, let me know, so long as you don't mind staining your reputation by associating with me, lols! You could always go on a trip to a shooting range in the Osceola... Probably have to stop for gas tho... It'd be interesting to take 19 up through Pinellas, Pasco, Hernando and Citrus...

ixtow,

Well, I don't see myself anywhere near "Uruguay" any time soon, but we will be on the annual Sturgis run in August (and the spring fling in March) and that always (mostly) takes us through Texas.

You never know.

AD (gotta check some states for open rifle carry if I want to bring the Winchester along)

Last edited:

shastadude17

I'm quite confident that the good sheriff's views on the 2A are not unknown to his subordinates, in other words, his views were not a secret and just came to light as of the arrest of Mr. Parrish. It is interesting that his subordinates blindly follow unconstitutional laws in every situation regardless of the facts of that situation. If I were the good sheriff I would be scouting for some new employees who were better able to remember the oath that they all voluntarily took.

As a libertarian and certified LEO, I'd love to work for this guy! Maybe I should submit an application?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
gotta check some states for open rifle carry if I want to bring the Winchester along

Too bad it's considered "radical" by those who talk so bnig about "A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost." A convenient place to find all that information, maybe a handy map with color codes. Nope... Remenber danbus? Wasn't he radical?

A Nation of Handgunmen? I thought it was Riflemen... Maybe they get that Open Carry Body Type because they're cooks?

Was that too much awesome/calling out/truth/irony in one sentence? Perhaps I can't see the lawn for the grass... Nope. Only sand here... The seeds of freedom have fallen on baren ground.

Salt without Saltiness is sand.

I still wish my title said "Shock Troop" instead of "Founder's Club Member."

Last edited: