• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another judge knocks out abortion insurance mandate of obamalamacar

Brace

Wonderful. Now that the state is entangled in healthcare it follows that one can't get insurance coverage for anything controversial due to separation of church and state.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Wonderful. Now that the state is entangled in healthcare it follows that one can't get insurance coverage for anything controversial due to separation of church and state.

I don't see how the state can force a Catholic to put $$ into a fund to pay for abortions ...

Brace

I don't see how the state can force a Catholic to put $$ into a fund to pay for abortions ...

It can already force people to pay into the system for healthcare in general. As a consequence of that, people have less money to spend on "non-essential" procedures (ie, those that will not be covered under Obamacare for these sorts of political reasons). This is nonsense. The situation isn't just that the State is forcing Catholics to fund abortions but that in its failure to do so it is destroying the ability of individual citizens to get them. The Affordable Care Act is nominally supposed to take over for the functions the market is no longer able to provide due to the market distortions created by the Affordable Care Act. Now we have the market distortions but not the healthcare they were supposed to buy. So it's not just a question of the rights of the religious but of a system which has artificially put two different rights into conflict and solved this self-created problem by preferentially choosing one group over another, by necessity at the expense of human life and quality of life to some degree of another.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
It can already force people to pay into the system for healthcare in general. As a consequence of that, people have less money to spend on "non-essential" procedures (ie, those that will not be covered under Obamacare for these sorts of political reasons). This is nonsense. The situation isn't just that the State is forcing Catholics to fund abortions but that in its failure to do so it is destroying the ability of individual citizens to get them. The Affordable Care Act is nominally supposed to take over for the functions the market is no longer able to provide due to the market distortions created by the Affordable Care Act. Now we have the market distortions but not the healthcare they were supposed to buy. So it's not just a question of the rights of the religious but of a system which has artificially put two different rights into conflict and solved this self-created problem by preferentially choosing one group over another, by necessity at the expense of human life and quality of life to some degree of another.

I agree .. its BS

Black_water

What I find funny is that dems try to play that they are "the party of choice" yet they seem to be the party removing choice at every chance.

Why is my "old" policy substandard because I didn't have free mammograms? If I want a policy that is for catastrophic situations WTF does the government care?

This is yet another nail in the free market and I am glad to see courts knocking some of this crap out.