Thread: Passing through

Passing through

Hi, I am a Utah resident and hold both Utah and Arizona concealed permits. I will be passing through Oklahoma next week helping my daughter's family move from Texas to Nebraska. We will be staying overnight in Oklahoma City.

While at home in Utah and visiting family in Idaho, I regularly open carry everywhere I go.

Can someone please give me a quick overview of what I need to know about carrying in Oklahoma and any gotchas I need to know.

Thanks.

Banned
    http://www.oklegislature.gov/osstatuestitle.html

Above link to statues of the state.

Really going to carry in a manner that someone advises you too on a forum message board?

Here is a link to the relevant firearms laws for carrying a handgun in Oklahoma. http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA...k_NOV_2013.pdf

There are basically 5 places you can't carry:
    - government buildings
    - prisons
    - schools
    - professional sporting events
    - places that allow para-mutual wagering

Gunbuster signs hold no force of law, but you can be asked to leave and could face a trespassing charge if you don't.

Per state law, LEO have the option to demand to see your permit for absolutely no reason. In practice, the majority of officers won't ask to see your permit.

Hope you enjoy your trip.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be accepted as legal advice

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post
    Here is a link to the relevant firearms laws for carrying a handgun in Oklahoma. http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA...k_NOV_2013.pdf

There are basically 5 places you can't carry:
    - government buildings
    - prisons
    - schools
    - professional sporting events
    - places that allow para-mutual wagering

Gunbuster signs hold no force of law, but you can be asked to leave and could face a trespassing charge if you don't.

Per state law, LEO have the option to demand to see your permit for absolutely no reason. In practice, the majority of officers won't ask to see your permit.

Hope you enjoy your trip.
    Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. I wish I was going to be able to spend more time in Oklahoma as I have ancestral ties there. My Great Grandfather homesteaded near Fair Valley (Woods County) in about 1901.
    Last edited by rpyne; 11-02-2013 at 01:29 AM.

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    Another Gotcha of note... You must notify a police officer that you are armed at the first opportunity if you are detained, arrested, or the subject of a traffic stop.