Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reluctantly Getting My CCW Permit

Reluctantly Getting My CCW Permit

Since I first started carrying 5 years ago, I've always open carried. I liked being able to exercise my right to bear arms without seeking permission from my government masters. Living in Arizona and Kentucky for most of that time also made it very easy to open carry. I didn't have to worry about wandering into the wrong town like here in Missouri.

Still, there were times and situations that made it difficult to open carry. Keeping my handgun unconcealed while wearing winter clothing was at times a problem, as we're the times I had to wear a suit.

Now that I'm back in Missouri, and with the less friendly "laws" against open carry, I started looking into concealed carry. Open carry isn't a problem in my geographic area of the state, but I occasionally do business in areas that aren't compliant with the state constitution.

In my research I found out right away that a Missouri concealed carry permit was not an option. When I was a teenager I was busted committing the dastardly act of possessing a plant, which resulted in SIS probation. Through further research I found states that had reciprocity with Missouri that wouldn't hold my sordid past against me.

I then started looking at training requirements for the various states, and was pleasantly surprised that my old state of Arizona would accept the hunter safety course I took in Missouri as fulfillment of the training requirement for their permit. That means that my wife and I can both get our Arizona concealed carry permits, which are good for 5 years, for just a little over the cost of one of us to get training here in Missouri. I save money, I get to deal with a state who has not turned CCW information over to the Feds, and I still get to feel like I'm getting one over on the government. That certainly helps with the bitter taste of having to get a permit to carry concealed. Hopefully, by the time my 5 year permit is up, Missouri will have transformed itself into a gold star open carry state. Impossible? Only if you think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hartman View Post
    Since I first started carrying 5 years ago, I've always open carried. I liked being able to exercise my right to bear arms without seeking permission from my government masters. Living in Arizona and Kentucky for most of that time also made it very easy to open carry. I didn't have to worry about wandering into the wrong town like here in Missouri.

Still, there were times and situations that made it difficult to open carry. Keeping my handgun unconcealed while wearing winter clothing was at times a problem, as we're the times I had to wear a suit.

Now that I'm back in Missouri, and with the less friendly "laws" against open carry, I started looking into concealed carry. Open carry isn't a problem in my geographic area of the state, but I occasionally do business in areas that aren't compliant with the state constitution.

In my research I found out right away that a Missouri concealed carry permit was not an option. When I was a teenager I was busted committing the dastardly act of possessing a plant, which resulted in SIS probation. Through further research I found states that had reciprocity with Missouri that wouldn't hold my sordid past against me.

I then started looking at training requirements for the various states, and was pleasantly surprised that my old state of Arizona would accept the hunter safety course I took in Missouri as fulfillment of the training requirement for their permit. That means that my wife and I can both get our Arizona concealed carry permits, which are good for 5 years, for just a little over the cost of one of us to get training here in Missouri. I save money, I get to deal with a state who has not turned CCW information over to the Feds, and I still get to feel like I'm getting one over on the government. That certainly helps with the bitter taste of having to get a permit to carry concealed. Hopefully, by the time my 5 year permit is up, Missouri will have transformed itself into a gold star open carry state. Impossible? Only if you think so.
    Good luck and stay safe. It doesn't make a political statement but you still get to have a gun and protect yourself and yours.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Are you going to continue open carrying on the occasions when you won't be wondering into the "unknown" areas?

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Are you going to continue open carrying on the occasions when you won't be wondering into the "unknown" areas?
    Definitely. I'll still open carry most of the time. That's what I prefer.

Definitely. I'll still open carry most of the time. That's what I prefer.
    There are a few of us working to make Missouri a "gold star" state. Progress is slow but if we keep up the fight we will eventually get there.

This "baby step" approach is sad but there is no choice with the legislature the way it is.
    Theoretically things are in place to have state wide OC with CCW in 2014?
    For those places where no CCW is required, that wil remain as it is.
    State wide preemption for OC? - Just not ging to happen right now.
    Constitutional carry (Like AZ)? - A long way in the future.
    BTW - I also have an AZ permit.
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

I'm sorry, are you saying you OC'ed in Tennessee without a HCP?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    I'm sorry, are you saying you OC'ed in Tennessee without a HCP?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Nope, Kentucky.

When I was a teenager I was busted committing the dastardly act of possessing a plant, which resulted in SIS probation.
    "A" plant?

"A" plant is a misdemeanor . "Plants" could be a felony. "A" plant will NOT keep you from getting a permit in Mo. unless it was a felony.

Quote Originally Posted by Festus_Hagen View Post
    "A" plant?

"A" plant is a misdemeanor . "Plants" could be a felony. "A" plant will NOT keep you from getting a permit in Mo. unless it was a felony.
    Anything over 35 grams (1 1/4 ozs.) is a class C felony. When you get busted with the whole plant then they weigh the whole plant. Not just the good parts. You are also more likely to be charged with manufacturing of a controlled substance, which is a class B felony. That's what they charged me with.

Anything over 35 grams (1 1/4 ozs.) is a class C felony. When you get busted with the whole plant then they weigh the whole plant. Not just the good parts. You are also more likely to be charged with manufacturing of a controlled substance, which is a class B felony. That's what they charged me with.
    Dang....musta been a good one!

Accomplished Advocate
    interesting thread to say the least.

teenager? ... no reason to down play it, you were an adult, you knew it was not legal and now you are complaining about the result...hmmmmm

1. I think the law is idiotic, 2a makes no reference to past behaviors you have paid your debt for at all.
    2. I am not particularly convinced that there is any reason beyond making false claims for additional law enforcement funds and prison dollars that weed should be illegal.
    3. there are a lot of things yet to be fixed with MO gun laws, but as much as folks wanna bitch and complain, it is a LOT better than a LOT of other states, generally speaking it does not suck.

The way you are presenting your position is odd to me and it lacks any personal responsibility whether I agree with the law or not does not change the whine.

you were an adult, in possession of an illegal narcotic known to potentially draw felony charges, you got busted, you took a plea for an SIS which is without any doubt a guilty plea.

No one is responsible for this but you.

While you will find that I am one of those who will indeed work to see those laws changed as i do not believe in them, you will not find me one of the people thinking you got a raw deal when it was all your own responsibility and choices that have you where you are sir.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

When did I ever claim that I got a raw deal? Even if I was eligible for a Missouri permit I wouldn't get one. Arizona is way cheaper for my wife and I to both get permits, as we don't have to pay for any additional training. Being that I have a wife and 8 kids to support, any dollar I can save is a dollar that can put food on the table.

In spite of my plea deal when I was a teenaged adult, I'm still eligible to open carry in Missouri. My reasoning in the OP was pretty clear, I thought, as to why I've decided to get my CCW. While I think it's rather silly that Missouri still recognizes my right to open carry, while not granting me permission to conceal carry, unless I get a permit from a different state; and while I also think it's silly for the nanny state to criminalize plants, that's not really what my OP was about. It was about me somewhat compromising my dedication to open carry, and the circumstances and reasoning as to why I did so.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c571.htm

Read the above and give it a shot. ya never know.

Accomplished Advocate
    well if you polled it for public opinion, a lot of folks would say a pot head should not be allowed to have guns at all so you are doing good despite your dissatisfaction.

The law was written to disallow felons from obtaining a CCW and since a lot of felony's plead dow to sis misdemeanors it was worded any charge carrying a sentence of one year or greater. It was a requirement to gain passage through the legislature, you or anyone else are quite welcome to lobby for a change in the law if you are disatisfied with it and I highly encourage you to do so, but skip the victim stuff, it does not work out well.

I happen to be of rather strong opinions on such topics and as far as i am concerned the day your punishment ended it should have completely ended assuming you opted not to reoffend and all of your rights and opportunities should be equal to mine, i am even so extreme so as to suggest upon released from prison or sentence, they should be issued a firearm for personal protection. they are either reformed honest citizens or they are not and if they are not, they can get a gun easier than I can because stolen arms do not require 4473's to obtain.

My point? Don't complain about the rules, work to change them, I do.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Quote Originally Posted by LMTD View Post
    well if you polled it for public opinion, a lot of folks would say a pot head should not be allowed to have guns at all so you are doing good despite your dissatisfaction.
    These people are sevearly missinformed, thank god I live in Washington
    The worst thing I have seen killed by a "pot head" is an XL bag of Doritos
    Last edited by MattinWA; 11-05-2013 at 10:48 PM.

The law was written to disallow felons from obtaining a CCW and since a lot of felony's plead dow to sis misdemeanors it was worded any charge carrying a sentence of one year or greater. It was a requirement to gain passage through the legislature, you or anyone else are quite welcome to lobby for a change in the law if you are disatisfied with it and I highly encourage you to do so, but skip the victim stuff, it does not work out well.

I happen to be of rather strong opinions on such topics and as far as i am concerned the day your punishment ended it should have completely ended assuming you opted not to reoffend and all of your rights and opportunities should be equal to mine, i am even so extreme so as to suggest upon released from prison or sentence, they should be issued a firearm for personal protection. they are either reformed honest citizens or they are not and if they are not, they can get a gun easier than I can because stolen arms do not require 4473's to obtain.

LMTD - You are an exception to the rule. Actually worlk to change a law? Wow what a novel idea! How Sohighlyunlikely.....
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

Colorado voters approve 25 percent taxes on recreational marijuana

Quote Originally Posted by MattinWA View Post
    These people are sevearly missinformed, thank god I live in Washington. The worst thing I have seen killed by a "pot head" is an XL bag of Doritos
    Colorado voters approve 25 percent taxes on recreational marijuana
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/supporters-...044430275.html
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Actually, a recent Gallup poll showed that 58% of Americans support the legalization of marijuana. True, there are probably some big government nanny staters out there that would still prohibit harmless partakers of herb from having firearms, but they are a quickly shrinking minority. My 20 years of cannabis activism is starting to pay off.

I'm somewhat perplexed on how some people on this forum continue to assert that I was playing a "victim", or showing "dissatisfaction" with the Missouri law. Neither of those things were present in my OP. I could care less about Missouri prohibiting me from carrying concealed. For one, I can still open carry, which is my preferred mode of carry. Second, I can still get a concealed carry permit from numerous other states. As I stated before, even if I were eligible to recieve a concealed carry permit from Missouri, I wouldn't! Arizona is way cheaper, and Arizona hasn't turned permit information over to the Feds.

I'm frankly more concerned with the reading comprehension I've recently witnessed than some irrelevant law in Missouri.

If the above is the case, why post the OP.

Actually, a recent Gallup poll showed.
    Why are pro-pot (Gallup) polls more credible than anti-gun polls by the same organs?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Hmmm.....very good question. +1 to you Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    If the above is the case, why post the OP.
    If you had read my posts above, you would have stumbled upon the following sentence:

"It [the OP] was about me somewhat compromising my dedication to open carry, and the circumstances and reasoning as to why I did so."

Is there anything else you'd like me to go back and read for you?
    Last edited by Brent Hartman; 11-06-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Why are pro-pot (Gallup) polls more credible than anti-gun polls by the same organs?
    Why is it so hard to believe that people are fed up with the police/nanny state? We've spent over a trillion dollars on the war on drugs, and all we have to show for it is less liberty and more prisoners. When prohibitionist do things like in the following article, legalization of marijuana seems more than reasonable.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S....shtml?cat=500

Accomplished Advocate
    I'm somewhat perplexed on how some people on this forum continue to assert that I was playing a "victim", or showing "dissatisfaction" with the Missouri law. Neither of those things were present in my OP.

I'm frankly more concerned with the reading comprehension I've recently witnessed than some irrelevant law in Missouri.
    I thought I was fairly clear in my comments on how you were playing victim via the choice of words you used describing.

Perhaps instead of concerning yourself with my reading comprehension you should evaluate the impact your narcotic usage may have had on your ability to effectively communicate the point you desire to drive.

I am not sure now that you have opted to shift gears and twist the thread into a weed legalization discussion that you ever had any comprehensible point at all and am ready to dismiss the entire thing as one major whine.

Beyond that, your activism for weed serves no purpose for me, I could care less if you opt to smoke it 24-7 and I do not think I should have to pay for you to be in jail or otherwise harassed by the government for making that choice. It does not mean I think it is a GOOD choice, it just means I consider it none of my business and certainly none of the government's business.

Perhaps if you had opted not to try and soften every aspect of your original post and had said "years ago I plead guilty to the use of illegal narcotics in exchange for an SIS and i think it is stupid that it prevents me from obtaining a MO CCW years later" you would have found far more "reading comprehension" because without any doubt that is exactly what happened and is what you are whining about.

If you were nearly as serious as you imply you are about seeking changes in the laws surrounding weed, you would NOT be here. It is a well known fact that Missouri has some of if not the absolute toughest laws on weed. Regardless of ones position on the subject, you are indeed not in a location you should be expecting a great deal of progress at all. To those who disagree it is a huge issue, and to those of us who you could say agree, it remains so unimportant that while supportive of the position, we have much much more important things to worry about instead of whether you get to fire up a doobie without a care in the world.

And that sir is just how it is, want me to demonstrate compassion and caring? *sniff* there ya go, now move along and lets stick with open carry rights instead.
    Last edited by LMTD; 11-07-2013 at 09:54 PM.

I thought I was fairly clear in my comments on how you were playing victim via the choice of words you used describing.

Perhaps instead of concerning yourself with my reading comprehension you should evaluate the impact your narcotic usage may have had on your ability to effectively communicate the point you desire to drive.

I am not sure now that you have opted to shift gears and twist the thread into a weed legalization discussion that you ever had any comprehensible point at all and am ready to dismiss the entire thing as one major whine.

Beyond that, your activism for weed serves no purpose for me, I could care less if you opt to smoke it 24-7 and I do not think I should have to pay for you to be in jail or otherwise harassed by the government for making that choice. It does not mean I think it is a GOOD choice, it just means I consider it none of my business and certainly none of the government's business.

Perhaps if you had opted not to try and soften every aspect of your original post and had said "years ago I plead guilty to the use of illegal narcotics in exchange for an SIS and i think it is stupid that it prevents me from obtaining a MO CCW years later" you would have found far more "reading comprehension" because without any doubt that is exactly what happened and is what you are whining about.

If you were nearly as serious as you imply you are about seeking changes in the laws surrounding weed, you would NOT be here. It is a well known fact that Missouri has some of if not the absolute toughest laws on weed. Regardless of ones position on the subject, you are indeed not in a location you should be expecting a great deal of progress at all. To those who disagree it is a huge issue, and to those of us who you could say agree, it remains so unimportant that while supportive of the position, we have much much more important things to worry about instead of whether you get to fire up a doobie without a care in the world.

And that sir is just how it is, want me to demonstrate compassion and caring? *sniff* there ya go, now move along and lets stick with open carry rights instead.
    One thing I love about having discusions in forums like this is that there is a record of everything that was said. I'm confident that a fair minded and intelligent person who reads through this thread will see your post for what they are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast