• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reluctantly Getting My CCW Permit

Brent Hartman

Since I first started carrying 5 years ago, I've always open carried. I liked being able to exercise my right to bear arms without seeking permission from my government masters. Living in Arizona and Kentucky for most of that time also made it very easy to open carry. I didn't have to worry about wandering into the wrong town like here in Missouri.

Still, there were times and situations that made it difficult to open carry. Keeping my handgun unconcealed while wearing winter clothing was at times a problem, as we're the times I had to wear a suit.

Now that I'm back in Missouri, and with the less friendly "laws" against open carry, I started looking into concealed carry. Open carry isn't a problem in my geographic area of the state, but I occasionally do business in areas that aren't compliant with the state constitution.

In my research I found out right away that a Missouri concealed carry permit was not an option. When I was a teenager I was busted committing the dastardly act of possessing a plant, which resulted in SIS probation. Through further research I found states that had reciprocity with Missouri that wouldn't hold my sordid past against me.

I then started looking at training requirements for the various states, and was pleasantly surprised that my old state of Arizona would accept the hunter safety course I took in Missouri as fulfillment of the training requirement for their permit. That means that my wife and I can both get our Arizona concealed carry permits, which are good for 5 years, for just a little over the cost of one of us to get training here in Missouri. I save money, I get to deal with a state who has not turned CCW information over to the Feds, and I still get to feel like I'm getting one over on the government. That certainly helps with the bitter taste of having to get a permit to carry concealed. Hopefully, by the time my 5 year permit is up, Missouri will have transformed itself into a gold star open carry state. Impossible? Only if you think so.

Primus

Since I first started carrying 5 years ago, I've always open carried. I liked being able to exercise my right to bear arms without seeking permission from my government masters. Living in Arizona and Kentucky for most of that time also made it very easy to open carry. I didn't have to worry about wandering into the wrong town like here in Missouri.

Still, there were times and situations that made it difficult to open carry. Keeping my handgun unconcealed while wearing winter clothing was at times a problem, as we're the times I had to wear a suit.

Now that I'm back in Missouri, and with the less friendly "laws" against open carry, I started looking into concealed carry. Open carry isn't a problem in my geographic area of the state, but I occasionally do business in areas that aren't compliant with the state constitution.

In my research I found out right away that a Missouri concealed carry permit was not an option. When I was a teenager I was busted committing the dastardly act of possessing a plant, which resulted in SIS probation. Through further research I found states that had reciprocity with Missouri that wouldn't hold my sordid past against me.

I then started looking at training requirements for the various states, and was pleasantly surprised that my old state of Arizona would accept the hunter safety course I took in Missouri as fulfillment of the training requirement for their permit. That means that my wife and I can both get our Arizona concealed carry permits, which are good for 5 years, for just a little over the cost of one of us to get training here in Missouri. I save money, I get to deal with a state who has not turned CCW information over to the Feds, and I still get to feel like I'm getting one over on the government. That certainly helps with the bitter taste of having to get a permit to carry concealed. Hopefully, by the time my 5 year permit is up, Missouri will have transformed itself into a gold star open carry state. Impossible? Only if you think so.

Good luck and stay safe. It doesn't make a political statement but you still get to have a gun and protect yourself and yours.

stealthyeliminator

Are you going to continue open carrying on the occasions when you won't be wondering into the "unknown" areas? :)

mspgunner

Definitely. I'll still open carry most of the time. That's what I prefer.

There are a few of us working to make Missouri a "gold star" state. Progress is slow but if we keep up the fight we will eventually get there.

This "baby step" approach is sad but there is no choice with the legislature the way it is.
Theoretically things are in place to have state wide OC with CCW in 2014?
For those places where no CCW is required, that wil remain as it is.
State wide preemption for OC? - Just not ging to happen right now.
Constitutional carry (Like AZ)? - A long way in the future.
BTW - I also have an AZ permit.

kcgunfan

I'm sorry, are you saying you OC'ed in Tennessee without a HCP?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Brent Hartman

"A" plant?

"A" plant is a misdemeanor . "Plants" could be a felony. "A" plant will NOT keep you from getting a permit in Mo. unless it was a felony.

Anything over 35 grams (1 1/4 ozs.) is a class C felony. When you get busted with the whole plant then they weigh the whole plant. Not just the good parts. You are also more likely to be charged with manufacturing of a controlled substance, which is a class B felony. That's what they charged me with.

Festus_Hagen

Anything over 35 grams (1 1/4 ozs.) is a class C felony. When you get busted with the whole plant then they weigh the whole plant. Not just the good parts. You are also more likely to be charged with manufacturing of a controlled substance, which is a class B felony. That's what they charged me with.
Dang....musta been a good one! :banana:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
interesting thread to say the least.

teenager? ... no reason to down play it, you were an adult, you knew it was not legal and now you are complaining about the result...hmmmmm

1. I think the law is idiotic, 2a makes no reference to past behaviors you have paid your debt for at all.
2. I am not particularly convinced that there is any reason beyond making false claims for additional law enforcement funds and prison dollars that weed should be illegal.
3. there are a lot of things yet to be fixed with MO gun laws, but as much as folks wanna bitch and complain, it is a LOT better than a LOT of other states, generally speaking it does not suck.

The way you are presenting your position is odd to me and it lacks any personal responsibility whether I agree with the law or not does not change the whine.

you were an adult, in possession of an illegal narcotic known to potentially draw felony charges, you got busted, you took a plea for an SIS which is without any doubt a guilty plea.

No one is responsible for this but you.

While you will find that I am one of those who will indeed work to see those laws changed as i do not believe in them, you will not find me one of the people thinking you got a raw deal when it was all your own responsibility and choices that have you where you are sir.

Brent Hartman

When did I ever claim that I got a raw deal? Even if I was eligible for a Missouri permit I wouldn't get one. Arizona is way cheaper for my wife and I to both get permits, as we don't have to pay for any additional training. Being that I have a wife and 8 kids to support, any dollar I can save is a dollar that can put food on the table.

In spite of my plea deal when I was a teenaged adult, I'm still eligible to open carry in Missouri. My reasoning in the OP was pretty clear, I thought, as to why I've decided to get my CCW. While I think it's rather silly that Missouri still recognizes my right to open carry, while not granting me permission to conceal carry, unless I get a permit from a different state; and while I also think it's silly for the nanny state to criminalize plants, that's not really what my OP was about. It was about me somewhat compromising my dedication to open carry, and the circumstances and reasoning as to why I did so.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
well if you polled it for public opinion, a lot of folks would say a pot head should not be allowed to have guns at all so you are doing good despite your dissatisfaction.

The law was written to disallow felons from obtaining a CCW and since a lot of felony's plead dow to sis misdemeanors it was worded any charge carrying a sentence of one year or greater. It was a requirement to gain passage through the legislature, you or anyone else are quite welcome to lobby for a change in the law if you are disatisfied with it and I highly encourage you to do so, but skip the victim stuff, it does not work out well.

I happen to be of rather strong opinions on such topics and as far as i am concerned the day your punishment ended it should have completely ended assuming you opted not to reoffend and all of your rights and opportunities should be equal to mine, i am even so extreme so as to suggest upon released from prison or sentence, they should be issued a firearm for personal protection. they are either reformed honest citizens or they are not and if they are not, they can get a gun easier than I can because stolen arms do not require 4473's to obtain.

My point? Don't complain about the rules, work to change them, I do.

MattinWA

well if you polled it for public opinion, a lot of folks would say a pot head should not be allowed to have guns at all so you are doing good despite your dissatisfaction.

These people are sevearly missinformed, thank god I live in Washington ;)
The worst thing I have seen killed by a "pot head" is an XL bag of Doritos

Last edited:

mspgunner

The law was written to disallow felons from obtaining a CCW and since a lot of felony's plead dow to sis misdemeanors it was worded any charge carrying a sentence of one year or greater. It was a requirement to gain passage through the legislature, you or anyone else are quite welcome to lobby for a change in the law if you are disatisfied with it and I highly encourage you to do so, but skip the victim stuff, it does not work out well.

I happen to be of rather strong opinions on such topics and as far as i am concerned the day your punishment ended it should have completely ended assuming you opted not to reoffend and all of your rights and opportunities should be equal to mine, i am even so extreme so as to suggest upon released from prison or sentence, they should be issued a firearm for personal protection. they are either reformed honest citizens or they are not and if they are not, they can get a gun easier than I can because stolen arms do not require 4473's to obtain.

LMTD - You are an exception to the rule. Actually worlk to change a law? Wow what a novel idea! How Sohighlyunlikely.....

Brent Hartman

Actually, a recent Gallup poll showed that 58% of Americans support the legalization of marijuana. True, there are probably some big government nanny staters out there that would still prohibit harmless partakers of herb from having firearms, but they are a quickly shrinking minority. My 20 years of cannabis activism is starting to pay off. :)

I'm somewhat perplexed on how some people on this forum continue to assert that I was playing a "victim", or showing "dissatisfaction" with the Missouri law. Neither of those things were present in my OP. I could care less about Missouri prohibiting me from carrying concealed. For one, I can still open carry, which is my preferred mode of carry. Second, I can still get a concealed carry permit from numerous other states. As I stated before, even if I were eligible to recieve a concealed carry permit from Missouri, I wouldn't! Arizona is way cheaper, and Arizona hasn't turned permit information over to the Feds.

I'm frankly more concerned with the reading comprehension I've recently witnessed than some irrelevant law in Missouri.

Brent Hartman

If the above is the case, why post the OP.

If you had read my posts above, you would have stumbled upon the following sentence:

"It [the OP] was about me somewhat compromising my dedication to open carry, and the circumstances and reasoning as to why I did so."

Is there anything else you'd like me to go back and read for you?

Last edited: