• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't think I did so bad

mpguy

yzy2ubys.jpg

$35. Feels like 100 pounds.

So...
Light'em Up!

mpguy

Nice! I found an old bullet ingot in my backyard the other day, thought it was pretty cool

Awesome. I'll be spending lunch tomorrow sorting the bucket. My co-worker, help me sort the other bucket Friday, though it wasn't full. I normally give him the zinc or steel weights.

So...
Light'em Up!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You may not want to give away all of that zinc.

Aguila Ammo used to make a zinc alloy .45acp bullet that weighed 117 grains. It was sold as the .45ACP IQ. See http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-10690.html http://wethearmed.com/handguns/aguila-iq-ammunition/ Supposedly Aguila stopped importing it (they'e a Mexican firm) because some cops "claimed" the bullet could pierce soft armor, and rather than fight the fight of disproving the rumor they just gave up.

Lots of folks put it down as having poor penetration performance, and almost as many others showed pictures of feral hogs that they had taken using it.

stay safe.

mpguy

I've been debating this. I've been doing some research, and what I've read, the zinc round is good for 30-40 yards before it runs out of steam. This is acceptable to me, for a personal defense round. Just trying to find hard data for it.

So...
Light'em Up!

Last edited:

Primus

I've been debating this. I've been doing some research, and what I've read, the zinc round is good for 30-40 yards before it runs out of steam. This is acceptable to me, for a personal defense round. Just trying to find hard data for it.

So...
Light'em Up!

Did the sources you read state why zinc would lose steam any more or less then lead or steel core? It'd be the same grain bullet correct? I'm not a physicist, i just figured if it was the same mass then it should fly the same as long as all else is the same.

mpguy

Did the sources you read state why zinc would lose steam any more or less then lead or steel core? It'd be the same grain bullet correct? I'm not a physicist, i just figured if it was the same mass then it should fly the same as long as all else is the same.

From my understanding, zinc weighs less than lead of the same size. Using the same load data as lead, zinc will scream out of the barrel, because it's lighter. Due to having less mass, it won't hold the speed like lead, as it travels down range.

This is how I gather it.

I'm starting to think as we look at California, now is the time to start looking collectively for a alternative, as a precaution. Only having one option can't be a good thing.

So...
Light'em Up!

MattinWA

Awesome. I'll be spending lunch tomorrow sorting the bucket. My co-worker, help me sort the other bucket Friday, though it wasn't full. I normally give him the zinc or steel weights.

So...
Light'em Up!

Do u work with/know alot about metals. My ingot says "federated castomatic" on the top, and is stamped "mor-tin linotype" on the back. I did a google search for a while and discovered that it was a bullet ingot, but its composition was not a definite from my search. Anyone know?

mpguy

I believe Linotype is tin, antimony, and lead smelted together. I've picked up what I know by reading here, Google, and what I've picked up watch my father. He is in the Hvac business. Does a lot of brazing, and welding.

So...
Light'em Up!

HPmatt

From my understanding, zinc weighs less than lead of the same size. Using the same load data as lead, zinc will scream out of the barrel, because it's lighter. Due to having less mass, it won't hold the speed like lead, as it travels down range.

You're dealing with density of the bullet - lead is denser that steel than tin. For the same volume, lead weighs more than steel than tin - more weight/unit of volume. Steel is 7.8 grams/cm3 and lead is 11.3 gm/cm3 - or about 50% heavier. From the explosion of the same amount of gunpowder - the momentum of the bullet is mass x speed - a heavier bullet will go slower, and a lighter bullet will go faster. The other factor is wind friction, or drag. The faster the bullet speed, the greater the drag - drag for the same object size would be the square of the bullet speed. By varying bullet metal density, size of bullet, load of powder - or by doing calculus on the various combinations, you'd come up with alternative 'combinations' that you could use to obtain similar results if you say - wanted to have maximum impact at 27 feet.

As was suggested on another thread, it w/b optimal to use depleted uranium if lead was getting hard to find - 19 gm/cm3.

mpguy

You're dealing with density of the bullet - lead is denser that steel than tin. For the same volume, lead weighs more than steel than tin - more weight/unit of volume. Steel is 7.8 grams/cm3 and lead is 11.3 gm/cm3 - or about 50% heavier. From the explosion of the same amount of gunpowder - the momentum of the bullet is mass x speed - a heavier bullet will go slower, and a lighter bullet will go faster. The other factor is wind friction, or drag. The faster the bullet speed, the greater the drag - drag for the same object size would be the square of the bullet speed. By varying bullet metal density, size of bullet, load of powder - or by doing calculus on the various combinations, you'd come up with alternative 'combinations' that you could use to obtain similar results if you say - wanted to have maximum impact at 27 feet.

As was suggested on another thread, it w/b optimal to use depleted uranium if lead was getting hard to find - 19 gm/cm3.

Depleted uranium don't sound safe.. :p

So...
Light'em Up!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Depleted uranium don't sound safe.. :p

So...
Light'em Up!

Well..... wouldn't they be easier to find at night?

Tell the .mil that DU is unsafe - they use it for all sorts of rounds just because it is denser per volume than lead.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2000/may/18/armstrade.kosovo

Metallic uranium occurs naturally in tiny quantities. In its native state it is a mixture of highly radioactive uranium-235 and less active U-238. U-235 is used in reactors and atomic weapons; once it is extracted, the rest is depleted uranium (DU). It is a poisonous heavy metal like lead or mercury, but only slightly radioactive.

To understand why DU makes a good anti-tank weapon you have to enter the Alice In Wonderland world of high-energy collisions. When metal meets metal at five times the speed of sound, hardened steel shatters like glass. Metal flows like putty, or simply vaporises. A faster shell does not necessarily go through more armour, but, like a pebble thrown into a pond, it makes a bigger splash.

Armour penetration is increased by concentrating the force of a shell into as small an area as possible, so the projectiles tend to look like giant darts. The denser the projectile, the harder the impact for a given size. DU is almost twice as dense as lead, making it highly suitable. The other metal used for anti-tank rounds is tungsten, which is also very hard and dense. When a tungsten rod strikes armour, it deforms and mushrooms, making it progressively blunter. Uranium is "pyrophoric": at the point of impact it burns away into vapour, so the projectile stays sharp. When it breaks through, the burning DU turns the inside of a vehicle into an inferno of white-hot gas and sparks.

Normal uranium is not as hard as tungsten. But a classified technique allows it to be hardened. This is believed to involve alloying it with titanium and cooling it so that it forms a single large metallic crystal rather than a chaotic mass of tiny crystals. This structure is very strong and produces an improvement similar to the difference between a brittle pencil lead and a carbon-fibre tennis racquet. The final advantage of uranium is cost. Machined tungsten is expensive, but governments supply DU more or less free.

And the claims that DU is "radioactive waste" that causes birth defects? It's not radioactivity that is the problem, and you pretty much need to give it a few decades to leach into the ground water and be picked up by crops, animals or drink the disolved stuff.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Tell the .mil that DU is unsafe - they use it for all sorts of rounds just because it is denser per volume than lead.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2000/may/18/armstrade.kosovo

And the claims that DU is "radioactive waste" that causes birth defects? It's not radioactivity that is the problem, and you pretty much need to give it a few decades to leach into the ground water and be picked up by crops, animals or drink the disolved stuff.

stay safe.
Please no suspension - tell me how the solution is disolved. :cool:

MattinWA

From the article :

*It is a poisonous heavy metal like lead or mercury, but only slightly radioactive

--everywhere you go, no matter what, you are exposed to detectable levels of radiation.

:p

mpguy

From the article :

*It is a poisonous heavy metal like lead or mercury, but only slightly radioactive

--everywhere you go, no matter what, you are exposed to detectable levels of radiation.

:p

C'mon now! Didn't you know the sun doesn't output radiation anymore?? :p

So...
Light'em Up!

MattinWA

C'mon now! Didn't you know the sun doesn't output radiation anymore?? :p

So...
Light'em Up!

Sun, plants rocks, you, radiation is detectable from just about everything. Also an important note: there is no scientific proof that radiation doses to pregnant mothers correlate to higher birth defects. Or that radiation is a factor in post exposure procreation.

Last edited:

MKEgal

MattinWA said:
there is no scientific proof that radiation doses to pregnant mothers correlate to higher birth defects. Or that radiation is a factor in post exposure procreation.
I've found people who say you're right, and others who say you're wrong.

The Radiation Effects Research Foundation says you're right.
"No statistically significant increase in major birth defects or other untoward pregnancy outcomes was seen among children of survivors. Monitoring of nearly all pregnancies in Hiroshima and Nagasaki began in 1948 and continued for six years."

I'm curious to know how the children did. Did they have higher incidence of cancers, birth defects for their kids, etc.?

The Atomic Bomb Museum says you're wrong.
"surveys revealed a high frequency of aberrations in blood cells and lymphocytes in fetuses exposed to large radiation doses in utero (in the womb) or soon after birth."

"A Nagasaki survey of 98 pregnant women exposed at a distance of 2.0 km from ground zero and 113 pregnant women exposed at 4.0 and 5.0 km from ground zero, showed a high percentage of neonatal and infantile deaths for those exposed within a 2.0 km range, as well as signs of acute radiation illness such as loss of hair, bleeding tendency, and inner mouth lesions. Mental retardation was noted in 25% of newborn survivors.

Besides high mortality rates, retarded growth and development was also indicated. Most notable in those exposed within 1.0–5.0 km of ground zero were retarded stature, underweight, and smaller head circumference, a condition called microcephaly, one of the most pathetic aftereffects of the atomic bombings, especially when accompanied by mental retardation."

-

MattinWA

The Atomic Bomb Museum says you're wrong.
"surveys revealed a high frequency of aberrations in blood cells and lymphocytes in fetuses exposed to large radiation doses in utero (in the womb) or soon after birth."

What u describe here is cancer. No one disputed that a large enough dose of radiation will give you cancer, its well documented.

-[/QUOTE]

MattinWA

Atomic bomb museum "surveyed" 98+113 women.
Radiation effects research center examined over 60,000 babys...

Last edited: