Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A rather strange request at Denny's

A rather strange request at Denny's

I went into Denny's in St. Charles this morning, and was confronted by a server who promptly informed me that she would have to check with management to see if I could have "that thing" inside.

I assume the answer was affirmative, as she soon returned and took my order.

However, the manager soon appeared, approached me, and requested to see my permit.

Rather than get all bent out of shape over it, I simply pulled it out while informing her that I wasn't even required to show it to an officer unless I was suspected of committing a crime.

I wasn't suspected of committing a crime was I?

After a long glance at my non-driver's CCW endorsed I.D., she said, "No, you're fine.", and left me to enjoy my breakfast.

I just thought it was kind of strange for a manager to not ask me to leave, but simply wish to check my legality.

Must be a new position......Denny's Law Enforcement.

Perhaps the manager should start patrolling the parking lot to make sure people are driving with a proper license, registration, and proof of insurance. lol

I had a hotel in Richmond VA do the same. They said it was policy for anyone. Funny thing was my friend wasn't 21 so no CHP, but they let him without it because I had mine. Both of us where open carrying at the time and the desk clerk kept saying how odd it was.

I'm guessing St. Charles in stl...?? I live in Florrisant, Mo. Not too far. I open carry where I can. I do not yet have my CCW but when I get the time I will....I've got a Ruger .380 LCP. How weird they asked you, Mo is an open carry state they can't tell you anything but to get out of their business if they aren't happy...lol...!!

I was thinking the same thing, maybe he needs to be checking everyone for their cars license...etc...!!

I haven't got any heat yet for it. I guess all I have to do is show proof that I'm over 21. The gun is registered to my dad..!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Accomplished Advocate
    Sounds to me like they responded BETTER than a lot of law enforcement does!!!

What a shift we have made these days eh "officer"
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Banned
    You played the game .... what did you win? A Denny's breakfast that you had to pay for.

Congrats !

Quote Originally Posted by MustangCowgirl View Post
    I'm guessing St. Charles in stl...?? I live in Florrisant, Mo. Not too far. I open carry where I can. I do not yet have my CCW but when I get the time I will....I've got a Ruger .380 LCP. How weird they asked you, Mo is an open carry state they can't tell you anything but to get out of their business if they aren't happy...lol...!!

I was thinking the same thing, maybe he needs to be checking everyone for their cars license...etc...!!

I haven't got any heat yet for it. I guess all I have to do is show proof that I'm over 21. The gun is registered to my dad..!

There is NO fierarm registration in Missouri. If you 18 you can have a firearm, you have to be 21 to buy one from an FFL.
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

Think about it!!

You played the game .... what did you win? A Denny's breakfast that you had to pay for.
    Congrats -
    Don't be cynical, davidmcbeth

I believe both encounters were positive. THINK ABOUT IT - Superlite27's first encounter with the server resulted in the server learning about the legality of open carry. The second encounter with the manager resulted in the manager looking at Superlite27's I.D. and saying "No, you're fine." Pretty good response by the manager even if it was "over the line." The manager didn't ask follow up questions. Every encounter does not have to be handled in a specific way. Our organization needs elbow room to survive. I would like to see thousands of encounters like this with the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by mspgunner View Post
    There is NO fierarm registration in Missouri. If you 18 you can have a firearm, you have to be 21 to buy one from an FFL.
    It is NOT required....correct. however, If I own a gun I want it registered to me (or in this case, my father...)
    You have to be 18 to purchase shotguns.
    You MUST be 21 to purchase handguns, pistol, revolvers...etc.

Thanks though...

P.s. you HAVE to keep records of ownership of the handgun and the serial number. SMART gun owners register their guns.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    P.s. you HAVE to keep records of ownership of the handgun and the serial number. SMART gun owners register their guns.

Really? Register them with who? Who says you HAVE to keep records of ownership of the handgun and serial number? If that's a law, please cite the law in accordance with forum rule 5.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Do I need to register my lawn mower, washing machine or toaster too??
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

snip...SMART gun owners register their guns
    That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a while. Why on earth would you want registered guns?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

I guess that I am a dumb gun owner as none of my guns are registered. I would like to become smart so where do I go to register my guns? Please list the state law that says I have to keep records of my guns.

It is NOT required....correct. however, If I own a gun I want it registered to me (or in this case, my father...)
    You have to be 18 to purchase shotguns.
    You MUST be 21 to purchase handguns, pistol, revolvers...etc.
    Partially correct, and as Futurama taught us*, partially correct is the worst kind of correct.
    You have to be 18 to purchase long guns and 21 to purchase any other weapon, From A Licensed Dealer. Private sales between individuals do not fall under the AFT ruling but can be controlled by the individual States.

*SE02EP15 How Hermes Requisitioned His Groove Back"
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 11-03-2013 at 04:26 PM.

You don't mention which State you are from but as this is the Missouri sub-forum and MO doesn't have firearms registration, I must ask, "With which State entity are you going to register it?"
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 11-03-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    Really? Register them with who? Who says you HAVE to keep records of ownership of the handgun and serial number? If that's a law, please cite the law in accordance with forum rule 5.
    Unless it has changed Illinois required keeping records for five years, AFAIK record keeping is not required in NC.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpro2a View Post
    Congrats -
    Don't be cynical, davidmcbeth

I believe both encounters were positive. THINK ABOUT IT - Superlite27's first encounter with the server resulted in the server learning about the legality of open carry. The second encounter with the manager resulted in the manager looking at Superlite27's I.D. and saying "No, you're fine." Pretty good response by the manager even if it was "over the line." The manager didn't ask follow up questions. Every encounter does not have to be handled in a specific way. Our organization needs elbow room to survive. I would like to see thousands of encounters like this with the same result.
    Do you walk up to people and ask for ID and permit information? hardly cynical .. he's a CUSTOMER ... is that how they treat their customers?

My policy is that it is none of the guy's business ...

I don't know who he is, could be a madman trying to grab my gun...or tear up the permit

While I say she had the RIGHT to do that in her restaurant, I question the wisdom of it in addition to the obvious absurdity.

I'm going to go out on a long skinny limb and say she was unarmed while confronting you about the legality of your sidearm, right? Good thing you were the good guy long before she confirmed it.
    Last edited by MAC702; 11-03-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

...You have to be 18 to purchase shotguns.
    You MUST be 21 to purchase handguns, pistol, revolvers...etc...
    Is that true in Missouri? It's not true in most of the country. There is a federal requirement that a licensed dealer cannot sell a handgun to someone under 21, but there is no law in most states to prohibit 18-21-year-old adults from legally acquiring them by other means.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    While I say she had the RIGHT to do that in her restaurant, I question the wisdom of it in addition to the obvious absurdity.
    I've never had a WaffleHouse manager ask to see my license when driving through LA, AR, KY, TN, WV or VA - maybe next time I should swing through MO omw to VA.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Banned

I'm going to go out on a long skinny limb and say she was unarmed while confronting you about the legality of your sidearm, right? Good thing you were the good guy long before she confirmed it.
    I hardly think that the person had the RIGHT to demand to see a permit ... perhaps you were meaning to convey something else?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I hardly think that the person had the RIGHT to demand to see a permit ... perhaps you were meaning to convey something else?
    No, I actually believe private property owners have the right to be stupid and have absurd policies for conditions of entry so as to lose customers.

No, I actually believe private property owners have the right to be stupid and have absurd policies for conditions of entry so as to lose customers.
    See, that's the problem with the OP assenting to this Manager's whim and presenting a 'permit'. It makes the Manager think that it's his 'right'. It's not. He has an ABILITY to ask for it but it's far from a right. The carrier also has the ability to leave and take his business elsewhere OR, he can just tell the manager to go fly a kite that he has no standing to see any permits if he wants to keep his business.

At the very most the carrier can say 'yes I have a permit, but I have no requirement to tell you that much less show it to you'. The manager can take the LAC at his word and take his money or be a jerk and make the guy leave. I think the majority, once told the carrier is not doing anything illegal will relent and keep their business.

The LAST thing we want to do is to train these people to think they have any rights which allow them to be bullies. And that's just what they're being. If they were REALLY afraid they would NOT be confronting people unarmed who are carrying.

Banned
    They allowed entry and then took the order then asked for a permit. They can certainly ask people to leave but have zero right to demand to see a permit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast