Thread: O/T Mailing Ammo

O/T Mailing Ammo

Hey guys and gals

I know this is a bit off topic but I couldn't find the info I needed anywhere and I figured you guys could help.

My uncle in MD can't find a certain caliber ammo and I want to send him a box of 50. Looks like I can't ship it USPS and ups is very vague. Can I throw it in a box with some other stuff I want to send and ship it off ups?

Thanks for the help
    Additional text for your reading pleasure...

You can ship it UPS as long as it is properly labeled as ORM-D. From their FAQ:

Q
    Can we ship ammunition through UPS? If so, what steps are required?
    A
    Ammunition must be shipped separately from packages that contain firearms. Only ammunition suitable for .50-caliber firearms or smaller is allowed. Also, when shipping, it’s important to print “ORM-D” on the package. Ammunition can be shipped only within the 48 contiguous states. Learn more about shipping firearms, handguns and ammunition.
    And from their "Learn more about shipping firearms, handguns and ammunition" link
    Ammunition must be shipped separately from packages that contain firearms (including handguns).
    Ammunition will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 regarding hazardous materials shipments, and must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials.
    Finally, here's a link that discusses the topic and shows the new labeling required:
    http://www.adazonusa.com/how-to-ship...n-or-ammo.html
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I remember UPS soaking me to ship ammo - consequently I'm not likely to do it again soon.

Why not have your uncle simply order it on line?

Search in "real time" ammo availability following:
    http://www.gunbot.net/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    You can ship it UPS as long as it is properly labeled as ORM-D. From their FAQ:
    Correct, as a prior haz-mat shipper ORM-D is a designation for an exemption to the hazardous shipping requirements. No 4-G box is required or haz-mat paperwork needed to be completed.

Any Joe can mail ammo to anywhere.

Excellent!

Thanks so much for the info guys. Shooter, I didn't see all that on the ups site. But the mobile site was giving me trouble on my phone.

Grape, its just something I wanted to do nice for my uncle. Was talking to my dad and he mentioned that his brother needed .22 Magnum so I figured heck I'll do something nice for him since I don't see him a lot.

Thanks again guys!
    Additional text for your reading pleasure...

Glad I could help - and I didn't so much find it on their website as I used Google to find it on their website. It helps if you know something is there...
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    ...Any Joe can mail ammo to anywhere.
    Clarification: "mailing" is using the US Postal Service.

You can ship ammo using the appropriate label and a private shipping company. You cannot mail it.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post

You can ship ammo using the appropriate label and a private shipping company. You cannot mail it.

technical correction noted ... enjoy the tune
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-04-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: deleted off topic link

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Reloader friends ship lead bullets and steel shot using the USPS flat rate boxes - if it fits it ships.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Banned

technical correction noted ... enjoy the tune
    Grape ... unless you find it OBJECTIONABLE .. then don't nit pick .. you're starting to act like an old lady ...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Grape ... unless you find it OBJECTIONABLE .. then don't nit pick .. you're starting to act like an old lady ...
    Probably true if you finish the statement:

Starting to act like an old lady who is baby sitting a petulant child that insists on being routinely cutesy and entertaining, even when not appropriate. Such wears away at one's patience. More is the shame because there are obvious positive talents in other areas.

Inserting your choice of off-topic music links for our "entertainment" is objectionable IMO - too much deviation from the forum's intent.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

The postal service publishes a book called, "The Domestic Mail Manual", which is available in PDF form on their website www.usps.com; check under chapter 11-E (if I recall correctly), "unmailable matter".
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.