• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

O/T Mailing Ammo

HearseGuy

Hey guys and gals

I know this is a bit off topic but I couldn't find the info I needed anywhere and I figured you guys could help.

My uncle in MD can't find a certain caliber ammo and I want to send him a box of 50. Looks like I can't ship it USPS and ups is very vague. Can I throw it in a box with some other stuff I want to send and ship it off ups?

Thanks for the help

JustaShooter

You can ship it UPS as long as it is properly labeled as ORM-D. From their FAQ:

Q
Can we ship ammunition through UPS? If so, what steps are required?
A
Ammunition must be shipped separately from packages that contain firearms. Only ammunition suitable for .50-caliber firearms or smaller is allowed. Also, when shipping, it’s important to print “ORM-D” on the package. Ammunition can be shipped only within the 48 contiguous states. Learn more about shipping firearms, handguns and ammunition.

And from their "Learn more about shipping firearms, handguns and ammunition" link
Ammunition must be shipped separately from packages that contain firearms (including handguns).
Ammunition will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 regarding hazardous materials shipments, and must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials.

Finally, here's a link that discusses the topic and shows the new labeling required:
http://www.adazonusa.com/how-to-ship-ammunition-or-ammo.html

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I remember UPS soaking me to ship ammo - consequently I'm not likely to do it again soon.

Why not have your uncle simply order it on line?

Search in "real time" ammo availability following:
http://www.gunbot.net/

davidmcbeth

Banned
You can ship it UPS as long as it is properly labeled as ORM-D. From their FAQ:

Correct, as a prior haz-mat shipper ORM-D is a designation for an exemption to the hazardous shipping requirements. No 4-G box is required or haz-mat paperwork needed to be completed.

Any Joe can mail ammo to anywhere.

HearseGuy

Excellent!

Thanks so much for the info guys. Shooter, I didn't see all that on the ups site. But the mobile site was giving me trouble on my phone.

Grape, its just something I wanted to do nice for my uncle. Was talking to my dad and he mentioned that his brother needed .22 Magnum so I figured heck I'll do something nice for him since I don't see him a lot.

Thanks again guys!

JustaShooter

Glad I could help - and I didn't so much find it on their website as I used Google to find it on their website. It helps if you know something is there...

davidmcbeth

Banned
Clarification: "mailing" is using the US Postal Service.

You can ship ammo using the appropriate label and a private shipping company. You cannot mail it.

technical correction noted ... [strike]enjoy the tune[/strike]

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grape ... unless you find it OBJECTIONABLE .. then don't nit pick .. you're starting to act like an old lady ...

Probably true if you finish the statement:

Starting to act like an old lady who is baby sitting a petulant child that insists on being routinely cutesy and entertaining, even when not appropriate. Such wears away at one's patience. More is the shame because there are obvious positive talents in other areas.

Inserting your choice of off-topic music links for our "entertainment" is objectionable IMO - too much deviation from the forum's intent.

user

Accomplished Advocate
The postal service publishes a book called, "The Domestic Mail Manual", which is available in PDF form on their website www.usps.com; check under chapter 11-E (if I recall correctly), "unmailable matter".