• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Acting VP of Clover Park Tech called the police on me today!

Grim_Night

Everything that happened has been recorded.

So my first class today was at 10am. I got to school early as I normally do and camped out in the student services center so I could sit down and relax while doing some class work on my laptop. I had some signs made up this weekend to help inform the students that there is a rule in the policies and procedures that was in violation of state law regarding firearms and the carrying and possession thereof on campus.

Well it seems that security was getting complaints because the message I was trying to share involved guns. A campus security officer came to talk to me about my signs and told me that it was against the rules for me to post anything on school property without permission and that soliciting was also against the rules. Mind you, my 2 signs were taped to a chair with office scotch tape and I wasn't asking for anything from anybody nor was I giving anything out. I was simply sharing information.

About 9:30am I started packing my stuff up so I could go to class. While I was packing my stuff in my bags, the acting VP came up to me with the same security guard and told me I needed to remove my signs (which I was already in the process of doing) and that I was breaking the rules. I explained to him that I was simply exercising my 1st amendment rights of free speech in a publicly accessible area to inform people about their 2nd amendment rights and state law as it pertained to being a student at CPTC. He actually tried telling me that I didn't have permission to talk to anybody about what I was talking to people about.

He ended up telling me flat out that he was not going to argue with me about the subject and that I had already been disciplined twice before about the firearms issue and a 3rd violation would land me in even more trouble. He then walked around front me from my left side (I was sitting down) to my right side. He looked at my right hip and saw that my shirt had ridden up a little bit and had exposed the butt of my pistol. He then called out to the security guard and said that I was exposing my weapon and to call the police.

He also called somebody and then made the decision to clear the building of everybody then locked all the doors. The Lakewood PD showed up (6 officers mind you) and the officer in charge came over right away in a totally nonthreatening way to hear my side of the story and see what was going on. I explained to the officer what had transpired. He asked if I had a valid CPL and I told him that I did and as I was actually carrying concealed at the time, I said I would show it to him. He looked at it briefly then gave it back without even running any information. H thanked me for my time then went to talk with the acting VP.

A little while later, he came back and said flat out that he was not at all interested in violating my rights and he was going to contact the city attorney to make sure of some facts. He walked away again then came back a short time later. He said "I don't know what the school is going to do to you administratively but we're not going to do anything at all and you're free to go. We have bad guys to go catch and you're obviously not a bad guy. Have a nice day." Then him and the remaining 2-3 officers left with no further issues.

I immediately loaded my backpack onto my shoulder then headed over to the school administration building to lodge a formal complaint about the actions of the acting VP.

As of right now, I am simply waiting for a phone call and if I do not receive one, I will be making another visit to the president's office of the school.

Edit: sorry for the long post but I really wanted to get all the major details down before I forgot anything.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
cops said:
"...We have bad guys to go catch and you're obviously not a bad guy. Have a nice day."...

This needs to be tagged. State apologists are fond of saying we don't commend good cops.

sudden valley gunner

A little while later, he came back and said flat out that he was not at all interested in violating my rights and he was going to contact the city attorney to make sure of some facts. He walked away again then came back a short time later. He said "I don't know what the school is going to do to you administratively but we're not going to do anything at all and you're free to go. We have bad guys to go catch and you're obviously not a bad guy. Have a nice day." Then him and the remaining 2-3 officers left with no further issues.

[snip]

Edit: sorry for the long post but I really wanted to get all the major details down before I forgot anything.

Kudos for those officers. I am a strong critic of the current evolving police state, but over minor semantics they did what was right.

NO need to apologize for long post, you included very pertinent info. Thank you, and thank you for standing up for rights.

This needs to be tagged. State apologists are fond of saying we don't commend good cops.

+1

Freedom1Man

It's good to know that some of the police are still generally good.

Keep us updated and if you would/could link us to the student handbook that would be great. I may try to look it up but it will make it easier for others.

Grim_Night

It's good to know that some of the police are still generally good.

Keep us updated and if you would/could link us to the student handbook that would be great. I may try to look it up but it will make it easier for others.

WAC 495C

Student Code of Conduct

Student Misconduct "(10) Possession of firearms, except where approved by state statute;"

WAC 495C-120-020 Statement of purpose This one gets me every time I read it... snip

Clover Park Technical College is maintained by the state of Washington

and another snip

This includes an expectation that students will obey appropriate laws

This is a direct quote from the STAFF policies and procedures which is inaccessible to students because you are required to login as a staff member to gain access to the entire policy. Only reason I have this is because the former head of security emailed me the page the first time they tried to "discipline" me because I was open carrying on campus.

CLOVER PARK TECHNICAL COLLEGE POLICY & PROCEDURE
Chapter 6 Section 15 Title Weapons on College Property
Policy
The College places primary importance on the rights of all individuals to be safe and to feel safe while on the property of an educational institution. The College also recognizes the right to carry guns which many individuals assert. The College believes that these rights are best reconciled and implemented by excluding guns and other weapons from College property to the maximum extent that this is legal and feasible.

Procedure
A. General prohibition: The observable holding, wearing, transporting, storage, or presence of any firearm or other weapon is prohibited in any College building or College* operated facility or on College property, except (1) when this is done by commissioned law enforcement personnel or legally-authorized military personnel while in performance of their duties or (2) when a concealed pistol is carried in accordance with a concealed pistol license after the carrier has first (a) shown that license to the campus security office and permitted it to be photocopied and (b) received the written approval of the President or President's designee. This exception A(2) shall not apply in the child care center or in any facility designated to be used for elementary or secondary school purposes.
For this purpose, a "weapon" means any item that is capable of causing serious bodily harm or property damage and reasonably warrants alarm about its being used to do so, including but not limited to any firearm,sword, long-bladed or automatic knife, brass knuckles, explosive, incendiary device, or dangerous substance, but excluding items used for authorized College purposes.

B. Reporting: Apparent violations of this Policy and Procedure should be reported to the campus security office and may be reported to a law enforcement authority. They also may be reported to the appropriate office or employee for any disciplinary action.

C. Penalties: A student or employee who violates this Procedure will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal. Any other person who violates this Procedure when it has been posted or announced will be considered to be trespassing on College property and be subject to immediate removal. Any person who commits unlawful acts involving a weapon may be subject to criminal liability regardless of compliance with this Procedure. See, for example, RCW 9.41.270 (gross misdemeanor to carry, display, etc. a weapon in a manner that manifests an intent to intimidate or warrants alarm for others' safety).

Please note the hack job they did when quoting RCW 9.41.270

Links disabled because they no longer apply as CPTC has changed the WAC (which is still not in compliance with state law.)

Last edited:

Grim_Night

I am in the process of uploading the video to youtube... I watched it before starting the upload and I will admit I misquoted a few things but I chalk it up to being a bit flustered and trying to keep calm cuz I was seriously pissed off at the acting VP. I also apologize for the way the video keeps moving around... My first time using my new tablet to record anything. I didn't even know it was recording sound till I watched the video *blush*. I'll post a link to the video when I get it completely uploaded.

PS... I went back to my audio recording and it seems that I have no recording at all other then like 3 hours of nothing... my external mic must be shot >< guess I need a new one *sigh* till then, I will be using the built in mic.

PPS... WAC 495C-120-100 Distribution of information I refound this little tidbit lol...

Last edited:

MattinWA

Cant argue with the cool headed actions of these officers. This could have ended very differently, after the phone call that went out. Can u FOIA the 911 call?

Grim_Night

Cant argue with the cool headed actions of these officers. This could have ended very differently, after the phone call that went out. Can u FOIA the 911 call?

This is actually on my "to do" list. The problem is, I don't know how to go about getting a free copy of such documents and recordings. If anybody knows how to go about this, please feel free to let me know.

Last edited:

Lante

FOIA Request sent

Freedom of Information Act Request
Attention: Public Disclosure Officer 04 October 2013
Lakewood Police Department
9401 Lakewood Dr SW,
Lakewood, WA 98499
Fax (253) 830-5069
Re: Freedom of Information Act Request
Dear Public Disclosure Officer:
This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act.
I request that a copy of the documents containing the following information be provided to me:

• 911 call transcript for a man with a gun call resulting in the dispatch of multiple Lakewood police officers to Clover Park Technical College on Monday October 4th 2013.
• The reports from the officers involved.
• Any radio or data transmissions from the officers from the time the call was dispatched until the officers departed the area.

In order to help to determine my status to assess fees, you should know that I am an individual seeking information for review and publication by Open Carry Dot Org, a non profit lobbying and citizen watchdog group relating to protections of the 2nd amendments.

I request a waiver of all fees for this request. Disclosure of the requested information to me is in the public interest because it is likely to contribute significantly to public understanding of the operations or activities of the government / police department and is not primarily in my commercial interest. Open Carry Dot Org is a national organization with many years of experience explaining the actions of police departments and legally armed citizens to the press, and advising police departments across the nation in their training of officers when dealing with legally armed citizens. This request will contribute significantly to public understanding as the information disclosed is new; supports public oversight of agency operations; or otherwise confirms or clarifies data on past or present operations of the government. As noted by 132 Cong. Rec. H9464

Please note that the initial reports on this incident appear to show the Lakewood Police Department in a positive light, and we have no reason to believe the information in this FOIA request will change that. Thank you for your professionalism and consideration of this request.

Sincerely,
XXXXXX

Grim_Night

I wanted to give a quick edit to my original post and let everybody know that the police that responded this morning never asked for my ID not did they write down my CPL info, disarm me or run any sort of background on me (at least that I know of). I got the general feeling from the whole encounter with the officers that they were not happy to be there after they found out the details of why they were called considering it was for a totally bogus reason and that I had in fact NOT violated any laws and that I was well within my rights to do what I was doing. I felt that the officer in charge at the scene was genuinely interested in respecting my rights and the law in this matter.

I'm proud of myself for remaining calm throughout the whole ordeal and not blatantly showing how truly pissed off I was at the way the college administration staff and the acting VP. I also feel that it never would have been an issue had I not been trying to educate my fellow students about the injustice going on around them regarding their rights involving a firearm issue. If it had been almost any other issue, nobody would have batted an eye. But because I was dealing with the oh so scary gun issue, certain people were getting all up in arms (pun intended) and wanted to restrict my free speech because they didn't feel it was something that should be talked about. I think it's complete male bovine fecal matter that some people treat any open discussion of guns as a taboo subject.

I really appreciate all the support everybody here has given so far! Much better then the way I was treated in the general discussion forum regarding me asking for help with my current housing legal issues *sigh* I feel like I have learned a great deal from everybody here in the last year since I started carrying in September 2012. I know that over the last year, I have changed alot regarding the way I handle myself while carrying and I have grown alot more confident in myself. I also have reached a point where I flat out will not tolerate anybody no matter who they are trying to take away from me what I have worked so hard to achieve from my legal battles a year ago to regain my right to carry. I owe alot of this to the member of the Washington state forums here on OCDO and I really wish there was a way I could thank each and every one of you in person and shake your hands.

I know that the fighting is nowhere near over as there will always be somebody intent on taking away my rights and the rights of the like minded people out there. But no matter what, I will keep fighting with every breath I take even for the people who cannot or will not fight for themselves because it is the right thing to do. I feel it is my civic duty to do such just like it is my civic duty to lawfully carry so that I can protect myself and others if/when the need arises.

I see the people that spout off about how they are pro-2A and such but when the chips are down, they won't lift a finger to help anybody other then themselves and I refuse to be like that. That is why I have taken this fight everywhere I possibly can. I have already posted about how I stood up before the Lakewood city council and told them about their laws that were in violation of state law and I have been trying my utmost to fight those that were in control of my housing. I will keep fighting. I may be one person but just like an avalanche starts with but a single snowflake, these battles must start with 1 person standing up and saying "I won't put up with this!"

I will keep everybody here updated as I learn more.

Lante, thank you for that form, I will put it to use right away tomorrow after class and after I make another trip to the admit building on campus to let them know that I will not let this matter drop and I am more then willing to take it before a judge if I have to.

If anybody has any other ideas on what steps I can take, please feel free to share.

Edit... I forgot to mention the fact that congressman Denny Heck will be at CPTC this Thursday and I will try to speak with him regarding these issues (the violation of my rights regarding my housing and the general firearms issue).

http://cptcinthespotlight.blogspot.c...e-speaker.html Anybody who can make it, this may be a chance to show your support for our 2nd amendment rights to a congressman in person.

Last edited:

Grim_Night

Finally managed to get the video uploaded to youtube. I have it set to unlisted because this is only being posted here for the purposes of information not entertainment. LINK

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

I wanted to give a quick edit to my original post and let everybody know that the police that responded this morning never asked for my ID not did they write down my CPL info, disarm me or run any sort of background on me (at least that I know of). I got the general feeling from the whole encounter with the officers that they were not happy to be there after they found out the details of why they were called considering it was for a totally bogus reason and that I had in fact NOT violated any laws and that I was well within my rights to do what I was doing. I felt that the officer in charge at the scene was genuinely interested in respecting my rights and the law in this matter.

I'm proud of myself for remaining calm throughout the whole ordeal and not blatantly showing how truly pissed off I was at the way the college administration staff and the acting VP. I also feel that it never would have been an issue had I not been trying to educate my fellow students about the injustice going on around them regarding their rights involving a firearm issue. If it had been almost any other issue, nobody would have batted an eye. But because I was dealing with the oh so scary gun issue, certain people were getting all up in arms (pun intended) and wanted to restrict my free speech because they didn't feel it was something that should be talked about. I think it's complete male bovine fecal matter that some people treat any open discussion of guns as a taboo subject.

I really appreciate all the support everybody here has given so far!:monkey Much better then the way I was treated in the general discussion forum regarding me asking for help with my current housing legal issues *sigh* I feel like I have learned a great deal from everybody here in the last year since I started carrying in September 2012. I know that over the last year, I have changed alot regarding the way I handle myself while carrying and I have grown alot more confident in myself. I also have reached a point where I flat out will not tolerate anybody no matter who they are trying to take away from me what I have worked so hard to achieve from my legal battles a year ago to regain my right to carry. I owe alot of this to the member of the Washington state forums here on OCDO and I really wish there was a way I could thank each and every one of you in person and shake your hands.

I know that the fighting is nowhere near over as there will always be somebody intent on taking away my rights and the rights of the like minded people out there. But no matter what, I will keep fighting with every breath I take even for the people who cannot or will not fight for themselves because it is the right thing to do. I feel it is my civic duty to do such just like it is my civic duty to lawfully carry so that I can protect myself and others if/when the need arises.

I see the people that spout off about how they are pro-2A and such but when the chips are down, they won't lift a finger to help anybody other then themselves and I refuse to be like that. That is why I have taken this fight everywhere I possibly can. I have already posted about how I stood up before the Lakewood city council and told them about their laws that were in violation of state law and I have been trying my utmost to fight those that were in control of my housing. I will keep fighting. I may be one person but just like an avalanche starts with but a single snowflake, these battles must start with 1 person standing up and saying "I won't put up with this!"

I will keep everybody here updated as I learn more.

Lante, thank you for that form, I will put it to use right away tomorrow after class and after I make another trip to the admit building on campus to let them know that I will not let this matter drop and I am more then willing to take it before a judge if I have to.

If anybody has any other ideas on what steps I can take, please feel free to share.

Edit... I forgot to mention the fact that congressman Denny Heck will be at CPTC this Thursday and I will try to speak with him regarding these issues (the violation of my rights regarding my housing and the general firearms issue).

http://cptcinthespotlight.blogspot.com/2013/11/congressman-heck-to-be-keynote-speaker.html Anybody who can make it, this may be a chance to show your support for our 2nd amendment rights to a congressman in person.

It has been quite a while since anyone was awarded the Brass Balls Award for standing up for their rights but I think this incident deserves the Brass Balls award. This award has been given to Bill Starks, Jeff Hayes, MSGLAIGNE, Sudden Valley Gunner, DEROS72 and Gogodawgs and now to you. PM me with an address and I will get your set in the mail ASAP.

MattinWA

It has been quite a while since anyone was awarded the Brass Balls Award for standing up for their rights but I think this incident deserves the Brass Balls award. This award has been given to Bill Starks, Jeff Hayes, MSGLAIGNE, Sudden Valley Gunner, DEROS72 and Gogodawgs and now to you. PM me with an address and I will get your set in the mail ASAP.

Lol nice jeff

Grim_Night

So the school administration staff has decided to discipline me for violation of the school's "Weapons on College Property Policy". I am filing a written appeal first thing tomorrow morning. I will post my appeal here for those to view.

I, Sean W., student ID # ###-##-### Per WAC 495C-120-120 Disciplinary process and WAC 495C-120-160 Hearing procedures, do herby submit my written appeal regarding the matter of of my alleged violation on November 4th 2013 of the CLOVER PARK TECHNICAL COLLEGE POLICY & PROCEDURE Chapter 6 Section 15 Title Weapons on College Property Policy. WAC 495C-120-120 clearly states that the process must happen in a prescribed order.

(1) Infractions of college rules may be referred by any college staff member to the appropriate director or designee.

(2) A student alleged to have violated a provision of this chapter shall be notified to meet with the director or designee for possible disciplinary action.

(3) After a careful review of the circumstances surrounding the alleged misconduct, the director or designee may take any of the following actions:
(a) Terminate the proceeding;
(b) Dismiss the case after whatever counseling and advice the director or designee deems appropriate;
(c) Impose appropriate disciplinary action (reprimand, probation, suspension, expulsion), subject to student's right of appeal.

(4) The student will be notified in writing of the determination made by the director or designee.

(5) If, after consideration of the alleged misconduct, the recommendation of the director or designee is for disciplinary action, the student may:
(a) Accept the disciplinary action; or
(b) File, within fifteen calendar days following receipt of the notification of disciplinary action, a written request for a formal hearing pursuant to the provisions of WAC 495C-120-160. If the request is not filed within the prescribed time, the right to do so is waived.

(6) If a hearing is requested, notice of the hearing shall be given to all parties at least seven days before the hearing. The notice will indicate the names and addresses of all parties, the names and addresses of their representatives, a statement of the time, place, and nature of the proceeding, a short and plain statement of the matters asserted, and the legal authority and jurisdiction under which the hearing is to be held.

#1 I submit that this Disciplinary process did not happen in the order that is required and in fact, portions were completely omitted. On November 5th 2013, I was removed from class and told that I was in violation of the above listed policy. I was told that I was going to be disciplined for said violation. The documents had already been filled out and signed before I was even given a chance to present my case and in fact, I was never even given the chance to present my side of the case.

#2 I submit that the "Weapons on College Property Policy" is in violation of state law RCW 9.41.290 State Preemption. The CPTC "Weapons on College Property Policy" restricts the protected RIGHT of carrying lawful firearms on campus, to requiring a state issued conceal pistol license and to only carrying in a concealed manner and only after receiving permission to exercise said right.

Summery:
I submit that not only was the WAC 495C-120-120 Disciplinary process handled improperly, I also submit that that the policy that I am in alleged violation of is also illegal and unconstitutional.

More updates to come later.

Last edited:

Grim_Night

Additional findings while researching the process I am now having to deal with...

WAC 495C-120-020 Statement of purpose
(1) Clover Park Technical College is maintained by the state of Washington for the provision of programs of vocational instruction for adults and qualified high school students, including necessary related instruction and community services. Like any other institution having its own special purposes, the college must maintain conditions conducive to the effective performance of its functions. Consequently, it has special expectations regarding the conduct of the various participants in the college community.
(2) Admission to the college carries with it the prescription that students will conduct themselves as responsible members of the college community. This includes an expectation that students will obey appropriate laws, will comply with the rules of the college and its departments, and will maintain a high standard of integrity and honesty.
(3) Sanctions for violations of college rules or conduct that interfere with the operation of college affairs will be dealt with by the college, and the college may impose sanctions independently of any action taken by civil or criminal authorities. Parents or legal guardians may be notified of any sanctions imposed on unemancipated minors.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.50.140(13). 00-12-019, § 495C-120-020, filed 5/26/00, effective 6/26/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.50.140, 42.30.075 and 1991 c 238. WSR 92-19-091, § 495C-120-020, filed 9/16/92, effective 10/17/92.]

WAC 495C-120-170 Appeals
The outcome of any disciplinary hearing may be appealed.
(1) Notice of an appeal by a student shall be made in writing and addressed to the president of the college within fifteen calendar days of receiving the formal notification of the hearing outcome.
(2) Review of appeals.
(a) The president must review the whole record or such portions of it as may be cited by the parties.
(b) The president must afford each party the opportunity to present written argument and may afford each party the opportunity to present oral argument.
(c) The president must enter a final order disposing of the proceedings or remand the matter for further proceedings, with instructions.
(d) The final order must include a statement of findings and conclusions, and the basis and reasons therefor, on all material issues of fact, law, or discretion presented on the record, including the remedy or sanction.
(3) The president, after reviewing the case, shall either indicate his or her approval of the conclusions of the vice-president for student services or designee by sustaining the decision, shall give directions as to what other disciplinary action shall be taken by modifying his or her decision, or shall nullify previous sanctions imposed by reversing the decision and shall then notify the official who initiated the proceedings, the student and the vice-president for student services.
(4) The president will cause copies of the final order or remand order to be served on each party.
(5) All appeals to the president shall be final.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.50.140(13). 00-12-019, § 495C-120-170, filed 5/26/00, effective 6/26/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.50.140, 42.30.075 and 1991 c 238. WSR 92-19-091, § 495C-120-170, filed 9/16/92, effective 10/17/92.]

I find it interesting that they dictate that I as a student am expected to obey the law yet they are violating it. And then during the final appeal to the "president", the president is expected to issue a statement regarding the issue which is to include "The final order must include a statement of findings and conclusions, and the basis and reasons therefor, on all material issues of fact, law, or discretion presented on the record, including the remedy or sanction."

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Finally managed to get the video uploaded to youtube. I have it set to unlisted because this is only being posted here for the purposes of information not entertainment. LINK

The cops either had evidence to arrest you or they didn't. Talking to them may have caused them to think that they had PC to arrest ... or that's what they'll claim.