• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Let's see how gun control is working for us

DW98

Apparently crime is down in NSW, according to the police anyway.

There were significant decreases in 8 of the 17 crime categories:

- Assault-non domestic related (down 3.8 per cent),

- robbery without a weapon (down 8.0 per cent),

- break and enter dwelling (down 6.7 per cent),

- break and enter non-dwelling (down 7.7 per cent),

- motor vehicle theft (down 11.2 per cent),

- steal from motor vehicle (down 3.9 per cent),

- steal from person (down 10.8 per cent)

- and malicious damage to property (down 6.4 per cent)

They fail to mention rape, sexual assault or murder, though.

"Shooting offences have remained stable when measured across the two, five and ten year periods up to 2013." In other words, no real change there.

They also mentioned that firearm safe storage inspections have turned up positive. I'm glad they mentioned that, but while we are complying by the law, the criminals are not.

I also noticed a lot of comments from the public saying that the statistics are falsified, and people are saying police aren't taking reports when they report a crime, therefore making the figures look good. Not sure about that one.

19-year-old man charged with murder following fatal stabbing

Police investigate shooting in Sydney's southwest No injuries.

21-year-old arrested over stabbing death

Man charged with attempted murder after shooting spear at police

Man arrested following string of home invasions

Police search continues for missing Sydney schoolgirls

Body-in-the-boot accused found guilty

Police release CCTV footage in investigation into fatal shooting

Melbourne serial killer sentenced over schoolgirl murder

Man jailed for vigilante murder

Halloween death: husband to stand trial for murder

Bail for man accused of shooting disapproving bikie dad

Man critical after serious assault in Melbourne's west

Shots fired into home - Bringelly

Patrons terrorized as gun-wielding men hold up popular restaurant

67 firearms seized in Sydney police raid

Last edited:

papa bear

Thanks for the post DW. it points out a lot of things we know in the US. if you disarm the honest citizens then the dishonest ones will be the ones to attack. one of the big arguments we hear in the states is how good it is of Australia to dis arm their citizens. hopefully a totalitarian government will, thanks to Australia's following of Darwinism.

one thing i might suggest is also the following of acts of self defense. even though there are not a lot of armed citizens. there should be some

WalkingWolf

DW it is sad how your politicians have striped you of your rights.

FYI a black powder shotgun can be made from plumbing pipe. Black powder can be made at home. And I assume there are no restrictions on shovels.

No suggestions of breaking the law, just giving you some information.

DW98

No worries.

Something you might not know is that it's illegal to defend yourself with a firearm except in extreme circumstances. If I shot a burglar armed with a machete I'd probably end up in prison. Even if he had a gun he would probably have to fire first for me to be able to shoot back. You are expected to dial 000 (our emergency number) and wait for the police to arrive. I've heard of about 10 to 15 fatal shootings by Australian home owners from the past 10 years or so and all of them have had their guns confiscated (at least until after the trial). I'm pretty sure a few ended up in prison as well. So basically there aren't many self-defense stories around at all. I always seem to be reading about the victims.

Self-defense in general is a grey area here. You can't carry anything to defend yourself with, not even pepper spray.

This is taken from my states police website regarding pepper spray.

Can I carry capsicum or pepper spray to protect myself or for purposes of self defence?

No. It is not legal to carry any article designed or adapted to discharge an offensive, noxious or irritant liquid, powder, gas or chemical so as to cause disability, incapacity or harm to another person. Capsicum spray, pepper spray or any other similar articles are prohibited weapons and are inappropriate for general possession without a Governor in Council Exemption Order or a Chief Commissioner Approval. Self protection or self defence is not a lawful excuse to be able to possess these articles. Alternative options are to carry personal alarm devices such as whistles or personal protection alarms.

So you're meant to carry a whistle to prevent getting stabbed, shot or raped? Yeah, that'll do the trick. :rolleyes:

DW98

It sure is, WalkingWolf. I wish I'd been born 20 years earlier, then at least I would have got to see this country when it was great.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've seen some tutorials on that before. Sadly, there's no chance in hell of that being legal here. :mad: Guess I'll have to stick to my shovels. :lol:

b0neZ

Regarding the crime stats:

Not sure how yours are compiled, but if you follow the UK mode, they only count crimes that have been solved, and then the stats count for that year only (Example: serial murderer kills 20 over 15 years. Killer gets caught, those 20 go into the current years statistics; not retroactive). There are other oddities that I remember reading as well, but I need a couple more cups of coffee to think of what they were and where I read them.

Is it possible that OZ has this model?

DW98

That's interesting. I'm not exactly how ours are compiled. Although I know that a lot of serious crimes don't get media attention. Example: last year in my city from September to early December there were around (the actual figures never came out) 15 women murdered by people out on parole (majority were their partners). Only one of these women was given media attention, and they still bring up the case now as an example of how our justice system is failing people. Anyway, that made it obvious that the majority of homicides are not given media attention, same as suicides.

Another example would be when a house near a friends was shot at earlier this year. I thought they were mistaken when I couldn't find anything about it online or the news sites but I saw the bullet holes and police forensics there for myself.

Last edited:

Primus

Just a commercial in passing on CNN. There's supposed to a "gun special" tomorrow night at 7pm EST. It specifically stated "10000 firearm murders in the US and 50 in the UK Australia". They mentioned one other country and pretty sure they were referencing last years numbers. Is this accurate? 50?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

DW98

50 sounds too low. I spoke to a police officer last year in Sydney and he mentioned that they had around 55 fatal shootings over a few suburbs (gang-infested suburbs mind you) in a little over a year. There are a lot more non-fatal shootings than fatal ones. For example, last year the Sydney metropolitan area had over 260 non-fatal shootings, that number has risen this year. Apparently Adelaide has more shootings than Sydney as well, but my state doesn't get any of their news unless it's something major.

Also interesting to note is that the police statistics were taken down only a few hours after being up, likely due to all the comments that they were fake.

DW98

Most people dont care about gang on gang crime ... usually in the democratic bastions of the big cities ..

Pretty much.

Man assisting police after double murder in Melbourne's west My own abbreviated wording.

This will probably receive very little attention as it wasn't in public. Murders in homes rarely get much media attention.

Edit:
Three children found at "horrific" scene at the Darling Street home where a man and woman were murdered on Sunday night.

A woman and man have been murdered while three children under the age of five were sleeping in the bedroom of a house in Melbourne's north-west.

Detective Senior Sergeant Shane O'Connell said two bodies were found at a house in Darling Street, Moonee Ponds, between 11.30pm and midnight.

When police arrived, they found a 44-year-old Meadow Heights man sitting in the driveway of the house with minor injuries.

The man did not resist police, and was taken to the hospital. Police will talk to him after he has been treated, Detective Senior Sergeant O'Connell said.

Last edited:

DW98

Here's a good example of what we have to contend with. 7:46 onwards.

The officer says "You shouldn't need a knife to defend yourself." What a joke. She should try riding an inner-city train at night without her Glock, taser and backup.

[video=youtube;XORisGzuDXc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XORisGzuDXc[/video]

I liked the second comment down: "You shouldn't have to defend yourself with a knife" That would be true if the South Line wasn't filled with ferals who regularly bash and rob train commuters at night."

Bus driver awarded $400k compensation after simulated massacre

Police investigate string of home invasions/robberies

Police say a man wearing a balaclava and brandishing a pistol broke into a house on Delprat Avenue about 11:30pm (AEDT) on Saturday.

He demanded cash from a man and woman inside the house but they told him they did not have any.

The offender instead grabbed a packet of cigarettes and fled.

Police are looking into a number of similar incidents in the area over the last fortnight.

I can imagine how that would have ended if he had broken into person from the forums house. :lol:

TV inspired man to dissolve wife in acid

Long jail term for murder of pensioner

A NSW man who brutally murdered a weak and disabled pensioner under the mistaken belief that he was a pedophile has been jailed for at least 22 years and six months.

22 years is considered a very long prison sentence here.

Woman in hospital following violent car park attack

Police investigate Bonnyrigg Heights shooting

Elderly couple terrorized during home invasion This happens multiple times everyday but the comments on the Facebook page shows that at least some Australian citizens believe in self-defense.

"Queensland Government please introduce "Castle Law" into Law.

This will allow home owners to defend their homes without fear of prosecution from the Law.

We are defenceless under current Law in Queensland.

More rights for Law Abiding Citizens.

Thanks..."

"This is happening more and more here, they are getting away with it. Something needs to be done."

"Let us buy firearms for self defence and it might not happen....."

DW98

Woman shot in the chest - Wavell Heights.

A 38-year-old local woman is believed to be currently undergoing surgery after being shot in the chest at Wavell Heights this morning.

Police, including uniform, plain clothes and scenes of crime officers remain at the crime scene located on Campbell Terrace.

Police are looking for a man who may be able to assist them with their investigations.

DW98

Guess you don't need a gun to kill someone. Who would have thought that? :lol:

Police have continued to investigate the circumstances surrounding a fatal unit fire which occurred on Malvern Road, South Yarra on Sunday.

Detectives have now deemed the fire to be suspicious and arrested a 47-year-old Prahran man last night.

Michael O’Neill was interviewed by the Homicide Squad this morning and was charged with murder.

DW98

Had some idiot tell me earlier that there is no need for firearms in society, and that they serve no purpose. :banghead:

A man is in custody after residents reported shots fired in Swansea. Investigations are continuing.
Some reports suggest he was shooting at houses.

35-year-old man shot, refuses to cooperate with police

Body found in bushland could be missing murder victim, say police

Police investigate triple stabbing outside petrol station

25-year-old man charged with attempted murder over shooting

Elderly woman beaten during violent robbery

Teenager charged over stabbing attack

Man in critical condition after being punched and stomped on

Woman attacked in Park St. home invasion

Bomb making material, shotguns seized during traffic stop

Police officer in critical but stable condition after being stabbed in the neck during unprovoked attack

Popular NSW garage robbed at gunpoint

Five men arrested following shooting at Guildford

Man attacks 3 in unprovoked shopping center attacks

A gun could have fixed this very quickly :mad: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...-south-melbourne/story-fni0fega-1226782107182

For those that don't know you're more likely to get sexually assaulted (Australian term for rape...) on an Australian or UK street than you are in the United States.

Last edited:

DW98

It was a woman in here late 20's, maybe early 30's. I was at a cafe talking with a friend about a gun I'm looking at buying, she comes over and tells me that there are children around and we shouldn't "put ideas in their heads", then went on to tell me how she believes that all firearms should be banned as "they serve no purpose". She walked off quickly before I could say anything.....

Last edited:

DW98

A man has been shot dead in front of his partner and two children after he answered a knock at the front door of his home in Strathfield on Monday night.

Funny, no mention of this on the police crime updates page. No mention of the dozens of armed robberies/car jackings that were committed with firearms this I've heard about in the past week either.

Our media is very selective about what they cover.

DW98

Heard on the news before that since sometime in 2011 up until now there have been over 300 (according to the police) shootings in Sydney's southwest.

They also noted that nearly all of those shootings were related to 'criminal organisations'. Imagine that. :rolleyes: