• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Let's see how gun control is working for us

qednick

Ah, sorry. It's been a long night :lol: Thanks.

quednick, I'll PM you if I have any more questions. Thanks for your help.

No worries mate! BTW I'm originally from the UK so I've had quite a bit of experience on those lines. Feel free to PM me anytime.

Cheers

DW98

Not sure US is any safer. This thread seems to be the crime for the entire COUNTRY. While it looks bad it's really no more then one large city in the US.

It's mainly focused on Melbourne and Sydney. If I see headlines when I look at the news that are from other cities, I'll occasionally add them, but I'd say at around 90% of what's posted is confined to those two cities. And I don't post every single shooting or murder that I hear about. Obviously I'm being selective about what I post, but if you look through all the incidents of shootings on the thread, it shows that despite having some of the strictest gun control in the world, it has done very little to stop criminals.

I'd say Australia would be safer than the US overall, but at least you guys have the right to defend yourself appropriately. If I keep even a baseball bat by my bed for self-defence and I have to use it, then I can be charged. Even owning pepper spray is illegal in all but one state.

Bonagles

Thanks Rusty Young Man and DW98!

Yes, the 1911 sure was a fine pistol. I would like to own one again but I don't believe they are legal anymore.

DW98

Thanks Rusty Young Man and DW98!

Yes, the 1911 sure was a fine pistol. I would like to own one again but I don't believe they are legal anymore.

No worries. What part of the country are you from?

You can own a 1911, but you would need to shoot competitive ISPC to get special authorization for a .45.

Bonagles

No worries. What part of the country are you from?

You can own a 1911, but you would need to shoot competitive ISPC to get special authorization for a .45.

I'm originally from Adelaide but now I live in Vic.

Regarding the 1911, that's news to me. I thought they banned them after the last gun grab. Thanks for the info. I doubt I would have the time or the motivation to join ISPC though!

Cheers.

Bonagles

Don't worry, I won't hold it against you :lol: Just kidding.

Don't blame you there.

Lol. Trust me mate, Adelaide sucks. I left as a teenager in the early 80s and it was OK then. I came back in the 2000's and felt my heart break when I saw my old neighbourhood. Rubbish everywhere, rundown houses, needles on the footpath, junkies loitering near the local primary school.....

I stayed with my brother for a few months and the second night there a bloke with a sawn off shotgun ran through our backyard after a robbery down the road. My brother called the police and they didn't show up until the next afternoon. Of course by then the fella was long gone. A week and a half later a man was shot dead outside his house 30 seconds from us. I landed a job in the country soon after thankfully. My brother still lives there though. The fool thinks it has a certain charm about it. I'll never understand....

DW98

Sorry to hear that. I was there not long ago and it seemed pretty decent. The beaches were beautiful.

DW98

Here's an interesting article I found from 2010 about a shop owner in Queensland arming himself to deter robbers.

A CONVENIENCE store owner says the constant threat of armed robbery has left him with no choice but to arm himself.

The shopkeeper – who has asked not to be identified for his own safety – keeps a .45 calibre revolver tucked away in a holster beneath his shirt during working hours.

Even more alarming is the fact that the shopkeeper says he knows of at least three other shopkeepers in the Ipswich region who also routinely carry firearms.

He said the gun was a necessary last resort to ward off armed thugs who had repeatedly targeted his small store over the past two decades.

In the 10 or so years he has carried a weapon, the shopkeeper said he has only had to produce it twice – with the mere presentation of the weapon enough to scare off robbers.

“The situation in my neighbourhood at the moment is that there are a lot of rough people,” he told The Queensland Times.

“People come in here and bully me. They get up in my face and say ‘f--- you’.”

On one occasion, he claims, a youth armed with a machete fled after seeing that the man he had attempted to rob was armed. In fact, the shopkeeper has a small collection of machetes and crow bars that have been left behind after would-be bandits dropped their weapons and bolted.

Police have warned shopkeepers against fighting back against armed intruders and, in particular, against arming themselves, saying that they could end up using excessive force and facing charges themselves.

The shopkeeper showed The Queensland Times a concealable firearms licence and said he undergoes regular firearms training.

But Ipswich Sergeant Peter Dale said the shopkeeper was risking his life and could be in breach of firearms legislation.

“The biggest risk someone who arms themself like that runs is having the firearm snatched away and used against them,” Sgt Dale said.

“The only people that are allowed to carry a gun in a holster are police, members of the defence force and some security officers.”

Sgt Dale said there was a risk that if word spread that the shopkeeper was armed, the next robber who burst into his store could be carrying a firearm instead of a machete.

“There’s an old saying that you don’t knowingly go to a gun fight armed with a stick,” he said.

But the shopkeeper was adamant he was not doing anything wrong, and instead criticised the police service for its response to the problems at his store.

“The law is supposed to protect you, but it’s not really doing that,” he said.

“If I’ve got no gun, I’ve got no protection.”

Multiple shootings may be linked, say police - Norlane

An altercation between several people at a service station appears to have led to three shooting incidents in Geelong, Victorian police say.

Officers said an argument broke out between three or four people at the petrol station on Melbourne Road just after 3:00pm (AEDT).

A man pulled out a firearm and shots were fired outside the petrol station.

Later, shots were fired at two other locations, including in a carpark near the corner of Melbourne Road and the Boulevard, opposite the Ford factory in Norlane.

Two cars were hit, including a van, which was shot at on the highway.

Police have urged anyone with information to contact them.

Man shot dead, woman injured in siege - Carlisle The really sad thing is the woman was a stranger and was trying to break up a fight between the man who was killed and his father.

A knife-wielding man has been shot dead and his hostage seriously injured after police opened fire during a stand-off in the Perth suburb of Carlisle on Saturday.

Witness Donald McCaw told the ABC the man entered The Lunch Club delicatessen, on the corner of Oats and Harris streets, grabbed a knife from behind the counter and took the manager outside before threatening to kill her.

"While I was in there this chap came from the front, bolted into the shop, grabbed knives then grabbed the boss and took her outside ... and threatened her," he said.

"Then he took her outside and they were trying to quieten him down, trying to stop him doing anything, any harm."

Mr McCaw said the man threatened to cut his own throat before "starting on" the woman.

"He said 'I'll cut her throat', and everyone was around and they tried to talk him out of it, but he wouldn't [listen]," he said.

Mr McCaw said police then "virtually had to shoot him", firing six to eight shots.

"They were lucky to get shots in I think," he said.

Shots fired into house - Greenacre

Shots fired in car chase - Sunbury

Shots fired into store - Guildford

Shots fired into community centre - Mount Waverley

Shots fired into house - Griffith

Shots fired into house - Bankstown

Man wounded in shooting - Broadmeadows

Shots fired into house - Ryde

Man shot in robbery - Smeaton Grange

Religious leader shot outside Sydney mosque

House/man shot at - Kemps Creek

Man shot at - Findon

Shots fired into store - Chipping Norton

Man critical after police shooting - Ingleburn

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I daresay that gun snatches from a defensive good guy by a bad guy are pretty much a myth.

Never met a bad guy that wanted to grab/snatch a gun pointed at their body parts - recompute = cut and run/depart post haste.

Sergeant Peter Dale is just spewing the party line.

DW98

I wouldn't expect anything less. The part I found most amusing was where he said if a law-abiding person arms themselves with a firearm, then the criminal with a machete will come back with a firearm :lol: That just shows that taking away someone's right to self-defence and having them rely on the police does little to keep anyone safe.

I'm curious about the shopkeepers supposed 'concealable firearms' license; it must be very outdated. Maybe Bonagles can fill us in, as they mentioned they used to CC.

Moama shooting leaves two people dead

A man and a woman are believed to have been shot dead after their bodies were found next to a car in Moama, on the NSW-Victoria border.

Ambulance Victoria said paramedics were called to reports of a car crash at the Old Deniliquin Road. When they arrived they found two people dead.

Police established a crime scene shortly after 9.20am.

The deaths are being treated as suspicious.

Police have cordoned off a property at Moama on the NSW Victorian border, ABC reports.

Police will address the media at 1pm today.

Aknazer

If it's a not a non-immigrant visa (eg. not just a tourist) then you can own throughout the US. Different states have different rules about how you would go about purchasing one. States like Arizona I believe you don't need a permit to buy though I'm not sure if there's any waiting period. Here in Texas there's no permit to buy and the background check is pretty much instant in most cases. If you go through the process of obtaining a concealed carry permit, they don't run the background check when you buy a weapon since clean background is implied with the CC permit.

In Arizona, no permit is required for concealed or open carry. In Texas you need a permit to conceal, but you can open carry long guns or pre-1899 cap and ball revolvers (or replicas thereof) without any permits--hopefully we'll have another stab at getting modern pistol open carry here (in Texas) pretty soon.

I should probably add a couple more tidbits of immigrant related info:

I believe it's possible to make a purchase on a non-immigrant visa if you have purchased a valid hunting license. Which would technically mean that you could come out as a tourist, buy a hunting license, then go buy a firearm. I'm not 100% sure, and I don't know anyone who's actually done this.

Also, even if you're a legal permanent resident (ie. green card holder), some of the larger chains (Academy, Bass Pro, Cabellas, etc.) will insist that you take your last 3 months utility bills (in your name) before they'll sell to you. I used to think this was an ATF requirement for non-Citizens but it turns out it's just corporate policy at those stores. In essence, as a green card holder, you have all the rights and responsibilities of a US Citizen--except the right to vote. It's a pity that these larger chains come up with bone-headed policies like this.

As a US citizen I've had to do this before when I bought a gun (wasn't from a larger retailer). When I asked about it I was told it is a way for them to make sure I lived in the state and not from somewhere else (military stationed in one state with an out-of-state DL and was buying a handgun. Also had to show orders that proved I was stationed in the state). My guess is that these larger chains do it for a similar reason as it would be a relatively easy way for them help make sure they aren't selling to someone that they aren't supposed to given the laws governing the selling of weapons to non-residents.

DW98

Great grandmother shot dead - Toongabbie

The Homicide Squad is seeking public assistance as they investigate the shooting death of a 75-year-old great grandmother at Toongabbie last week.

The body of Helen Dawson Key was located inside the front door of her home at Paris Place about 10am on Thursday 20 November 2014.

Inquiries have revealed that Mrs Dawson Key was shot in the head, with the bullet passing through the screen door before striking her.

Det Supt Willing said Strike Force Elermore had been established to investigate Mrs Dawson Key’s death and needed the community’s help.

“We believe Mrs Dawson Key was shot just prior to 6pm the previous day (Wednesday 19 November),” Det Supt Willing said.

“Mrs Dawson Key’s front door was open, but her screen door was shut, so we think she might have answered a knock at the door.

“What we’re asking is for anyone who was in the area around the time of Mrs Dawson Key’s death, or has information about her movements that day, to come forward.”

That includes anyone who was in Paris Place or the surrounding streets, as well as nearby McCoy Park, during the afternoon and evening of Wednesday 19 November 2014.

Police would also like to hear from anyone who saw or spoke to Mrs Dawson Key that day, as well as the days prior to her death.

Shots fired into house - Blackett

Shots fired into house - Ashbury

Man wounded in shooting - Bankstown

Shots fired into house - Wetherill Park

Woman beaten to death in front yard - Casula

Shots fired into house - Guildford

Shots fired into vehicle - Guildford

Man charged over park murder - Dandenong

Shots fired into home - Watsonia

Shots fired - Edensor Park

Man shot - Wattle Grove

Police arrest trio over Sydney robbery spree, shooting

Shots fired at business - Kingsgrove

Man arrested over assault, shooting - Minchinbury

Man shot at - Cobargo

Woman shot by police - Picton

Man shot dead - Girralong

Man stabbed to death in street - King Creek

Shots fired during store robbery - Hurlstone Park

Shots fired - Punchbowl

Man shot dead by police - Kippa Ring

Man shot dead by police - Tewantin

Man shot dead by police - Gold Coast

DW98

Guns down, ice (meth) rising: NSW crime report Good news, if accurate.

Gun crimes in NSW are down over the last quarter for the first time, but new figures reinforce NSW is in grip of an ice epidemic.

Illegal shootings and shootings without murderous intent both decreased in the three months to September, a NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research report shows.

With drive-by shootings stable, along with an increased number of prohibited weapons being taken off the streets, it suggests a police crackdown on gun crime has so far been a success.

A long-running spate of tit-for-tat shootings, many of which were gang-related, prompted Operation Talon and Strike Force Raptor to be formed in recent years.

"We will proactively go out after people involved in crime where they use a gun," NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said on Wednesday.

"That includes full use of firearms prohibition orders, through to search provisions and all legislative support we've received to make it really, really hard (for gun crime)."

The BOCSAR report also shows robberies, thefts, break-and-enters, and non-domestic assaults have decreased.

Across the 17 major crime categories, seven are down while the rest have remained stable.

"For the second consecutive quarter, crime is down in NSW - we've set a new a record," said Police and Emergency Services Minister Stuart Ayres.

And while reported incidents of domestic assaults have increased, this may be a positive as as it shows victims are speaking up more often.

Mr Scipione says domestic violence is grossly under reported in NSW and Australia.

"We actually set targets to see an increase in that crime category," he said.

"If we don't, we know we're not being effective in our communication."

But he said the overall level of domestic violence was "horrific", with NSW police attending more than 120,000 domestic incidents last year.

Mr Ayres said the national ice epidemic has taken hold in NSW, proven by a 26 per cent rise amphetamine detections.

"Please don't try it, don't even tempt yourself with it - it will destroy your life faster than any other drug," he said.

NSW CRIME STATS SNAPSHOT

Unlawful shootings down 23.6 per cent

Shooting with intent other than murder down 35.7 per cent

Breaking and entering home down 8.7 per cent

Robbery without a weapon down 20.4 per cent

Retail theft down 9.1 per cent

Amphetamine detection up 26 per cent

Prohibited weapon detections up 22 per cent

Sexual, indecent assault stable

Fraud stable

Murders stable

Man shot dead, another in custody after Melbourne siege

Relatives of a man who allegedly shot another man dead before taking his elderly mother and girlfriend hostage in a home in Melbourne say the alleged gunman had been released from prison only two weeks ago.

An eyewitness to the shooting in Brunswick has said two men were arguing in the street moments before a shot rang out.

Two killed in shooting - Cobar

A MAN has been arrested after a couple was found dead following a shooting in the state’s northwest.

Police were called to a home in Bourke St, Cobar, about 8.30pm on Wednesday following reports of a shooting and found two bodies.

The bodies are yet to be formally identified, but are believed to be a 69-year-old woman and a 71-year-old man.

A 46-year-old man who the couple knew was arrested nearby and is being questioned by police.

Shots fired into house - Merrylands

Shots fired into properties - Smithfield

Shots fired into house - Ivanhoe

Man dies after stabbing - Noble Park

Two wounded in shooting - Pooraka

Shots fired at couple - Mawson Lakes

Bonagles

Sorry for my late reply.

In my day you did not need a permit to carry a pistol. When I turned 18 I went to see the local sergeant in my town and he granted me permission to carry, and said that if I ever ran into any problems with the police, that I was to tell them to call him and he'd sort it out. That was that. Mind you, I lived in a pretty small town. I don't know how I would have got on if I had carried in a major city. I did, however, carry rifles and shotguns (in cases) to and from gun shops when I lived in Sydney and no one bothered me. You would be shot if you tried that nowadays!