• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Let's see how gun control is working for us

FreeInAZ

@DW98 - This can't be... gun control (aka right to defense control) only makes a place safer....right? :confused:

Sad state of affairs there mate! Be safe and fight hard for your rights! :thumbup:

Haz.

WITH almost 350 shootings on his watch, Premier Barry O’Farrell.

Well, what can we say? A gun ban, a steal back, an ammunition amendment bill, several amnesties, countless laws and firearms regulations and the end result is!!!! ITS GETTING WORSE EVERY DAY. 350 shootings in Sydney alone on O'Farrells watch!

Gun Bans Do No Work.

VETERAN truck driver who went to investigate a commotion at the front of his home is fighting for life with a bullet hole through his chest, after police believe he interrupted a street robbery of a mobile phone.

Graeme Hunt, 62, is the latest victim of Sydney’s horror gun crime — an innocent resident caught in a crossfire on a suburban street.

Another man, 19-year-old Rhynal Nand, was shot up to four times in the stomach and arm during the bungled robbery. It was the 35th shooting in Sydney this year.

Just hours after the shooting, police arrested Youssif Chami, 27, who lived just along the street from Mr Hunt, and charged him with armed robbery causing grievous bodily harm and shoot with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

BARRY O’FARRELL CAUGHT IN SHOOTING CROSSFIRE Phil Jacob

WITH almost 350 shootings on his watch, Premier Barry O’Farrell was yesterday grappling with the fact an innocent man has been caught in the crossfire.

As respected truck driver Graeme Hunt, 62, lay in a critical condition after being shot in his driveway, Mr O’Farrell vowed he would stamp out the gun violence on Sydney’s streets.

He has described a single shooting as “one too many”.

Yet on January 29, he said of gun-related crime: “I’m not concerned about targeted shootings”.

He made those remark while speaking to reporters covering a coward’s punch advert launch funded by boxer Danny Green.

“What I’m concerned about is targeted shootings having a bad impact on an innocent party,” Mr O’Farrell said at the time.

That innocent man is Mr Hunt and today he is fighting for his life.

Mr O’Farrell faces his worst nightmare with Sydney’s gun crime. Wednesday night’s shooting in Sydney’s west brings the total number since his government took power to 344.

Opposition Leader John Robertson said the government was still yet to use their tough laws and outlaw a single gang.

“Barry O’Farrell and the Liberals have allowed gangs and gun violence to take hold on our streets — putting innocent bystanders at risk,” Mr Robertson said.

Deputy Police Commissioner Nick Kaldas said Wednesday’s shooting was another example of a terrible robbery gone wrong.

Read More;

<http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/truckie-graeme-hunt-an-innocent-man-shot-down-outside-his-home-for-caring/story-fnii5s3x-1226867041490>

Haz.

WITH almost 350 shootings on his watch, Premier Barry O’Farrell.

Well, what can we say? A gun ban, a steal back, an ammunition amendment bill, several amnesties, countless laws and firearms regulations and the end result is!!!! ITS GETTING WORSE EVERY DAY. 350 shootings in Sydney alone on O'Farrells watch!

Gun Bans Do No Work.

VETERAN truck driver who went to investigate a commotion at the front of his home is fighting for life with a bullet hole through his chest, after police believe he interrupted a street robbery of a mobile phone.

Graeme Hunt, 62, is the latest victim of Sydney’s horror gun crime — an innocent resident caught in a crossfire on a suburban street.

Another man, 19-year-old Rhynal Nand, was shot up to four times in the stomach and arm during the bungled robbery. It was the 35th shooting in Sydney this year.

Just hours after the shooting, police arrested Youssif Chami, 27, who lived just along the street from Mr Hunt, and charged him with armed robbery causing grievous bodily harm and shoot with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

BARRY O’FARRELL CAUGHT IN SHOOTING CROSSFIRE Phil Jacob

WITH almost 350 shootings on his watch, Premier Barry O’Farrell was yesterday grappling with the fact an innocent man has been caught in the crossfire.

As respected truck driver Graeme Hunt, 62, lay in a critical condition after being shot in his driveway, Mr O’Farrell vowed he would stamp out the gun violence on Sydney’s streets.

He has described a single shooting as “one too many”.

Yet on January 29, he said of gun-related crime: “I’m not concerned about targeted shootings”.

He made those remark while speaking to reporters covering a coward’s punch advert launch funded by boxer Danny Green.

“What I’m concerned about is targeted shootings having a bad impact on an innocent party,” Mr O’Farrell said at the time.

That innocent man is Mr Hunt and today he is fighting for his life.

Mr O’Farrell faces his worst nightmare with Sydney’s gun crime. Wednesday night’s shooting in Sydney’s west brings the total number since his government took power to 344.

Opposition Leader John Robertson said the government was still yet to use their tough laws and outlaw a single gang.

“Barry O’Farrell and the Liberals have allowed gangs and gun violence to take hold on our streets — putting innocent bystanders at risk,” Mr Robertson said.

Deputy Police Commissioner Nick Kaldas said Wednesday’s shooting was another example of a terrible robbery gone wrong.

Read More;

<http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/truckie-graeme-hunt-an-innocent-man-shot-down-outside-his-home-for-caring/story-fnii5s3x-1226867041490>

DW98

@DW98 - This can't be... gun control (aka right to defense control) only makes a place safer....right? :confused:

Sad state of affairs there mate! Be safe and fight hard for your rights! :thumbup:

Thanks for the support.

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic, but I don't see things getting better now. I think it's too late.

DW98

In regards to Barry - only 344? That sounds too low.

I've spoken to people who have it on good authority that the real number, at least non-fatal, is much higher than is being reported. Hopefully that's not the case.

DW98

Brisbane park murder victim identified Disgusting :mad:

Police say they are continuing to scour security footage in an attempt to find the killer of a French student who was murdered in South Brisbane last week.

The naked body of Sophie Collombet was found by a passer-by in a rotunda at Kurilpa Park near the William Jolly Bridge last Friday morning.

The 21-year-old was a business student at Griffith University.

Her body was formally identified yesterday, and police say she had suffered extensive head injuries in what they have described as a "brutal" attack. Detective Inspector Rod Kemp says it follows the death of other foreign students in Brisbane in recent months.

"For someone to be brutally attacked in this manner, it's just disgraceful.

Detective Inspector Kemp says it was a vicious attack.

"Yes it was brutal. We believe the cause of death is from a brain injury from blunt trauma, so it's a particularly aggressive attack."

He says police are still looking for suspects.

Ms Collombet is the fourth foreign student to be killed in the city in the past four months.

Man shot dead in north Melbourne shooting

A man has been shot dead in what police are calling a brazen attack in a street in Melbourne's north-eastern suburbs.

The man's body was found on Ebony Parade in Heidelberg West around 7:30am (AEDT).

Police say the 47-year-old victim was known to them but had not had dealings with police in the past decade.

Detective Senior Sergeant Stuart Bailey says it was a disturbing attack.

"It was a brazen, high-risk crime that has placed members of the public at risk," he said.

Man is serious condition following another Sydney shooting

A 34-YEAR-OLD man has been shot several times in a targeted attack in Sydney's west.

Police say the victim, who is from Condell Park, is known to them but doesn't appear to have links with gangs.

A neighbour heard up to four gunshots on Waruda Street in Yagoona on Tuesday night and called police.

The victim was shot in the torso and stomach and has been taken to Liverpool Hospital for surgery where he is in a serious condition.

Man shot -Liverpool Missed this one.

A 49-year-old man attended Liverpool hospital early this morning (29-03) with a gunshot wound to the leg.

He told police he accidentally shot himself in his car.
I doubt that :lol:

Rose Tattoo drummer Paul DeMarco charged over alleged gun-running syndicate, alongside former bikie boss Sam Ibrahim

THE drummer of one of Australia’s best-known rock bands is accused of being a major player in an alleged gun-running syndicate distributing military-style weapons throughout western Sydney.

Rose Tattoo member Paul DeMarco appeared via video link in Blacktown Local Court yesterday, alongside former bikie boss Sam Ibrahim, on 27 charges of supply, possess and distribute weapons.

Woman's body found in street in Melbourne's southeast

HOMICIDE detectives are investigating the discovery of a woman's body in Melbourne's southeast this morning

Police investigate Lake Tyers death

HOMICIDE detectives are investigating the death of a man, 48, who was assaulted in Gippsland last night.

Police investigate murder - Doveton

A woman who was found dead in Doveton in Melbourne's south-east may have been bashed with a weapon, police say.

A man was on his way to work when he found the woman lying in a pool of blood in Lace Street early this morning.

Man and pet dog found dead in car

Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a man and his pet dog in Thornbury yesterday evening.

Investigators have been told a man walking down the street caught site of a man sitting in a car, with its engine running, on Blythe Street about 7.20pm.

When the passer-by noticed that the man was still in the car about 7.45pm he checked on his welfare and found the elderly man and a dog to be unresponsive.

The 72-year-old Thornbury man and his dog appeared to have died at the scene.

Woman charged over One Arm Point murder

A 44-year-old woman has been charged with murder after a stabbing at a remote community in northern Western Australia.

Teenage father charged with murdering baby son in Bunbury Hosptial

A 15-year-old boy has been charged with the murder of his month-old baby son at Bunbury Hospital in WA.

Police allege the baby was critically injured by his teenager father in February.

The baby was taken to Princess Margaret Hospital and placed on life support but died a few days later.

Previously the father had been charged with causing aggravated grievous bodily harm to the baby but that was upgraded to murder during a hearing at Perth Children's Court today.

Hearing-impaired girl, 10, repeatedly ‘raped’ by taxi driver in Sydney It never ceases to amaze me of what people are capable of.

A TAXI driver who allegedly repeatedly raped a 10-year-old girl with profound hearing difficulties in Sydney’s southwest has been charged.

Detectives from the Child Abuse Squad arrested and charged a 64-year-old taxi driver yesterday in relation to the alleged indecent and sexual assaults.

Man who killed grandparents 'knew exactly what he was doing'

A DRUG addict who shot his grandparents dead at point blank range has been sentenced to spend 25 years in psychiatric care.

Ross Konindaris, 25, admitted killing grandparents Triatafillio and Stavroula, aged 81 and 84, in a Christmas rampage in 2012.

But he was found not guilty because of mental impairment and today sentenced to spend the next 25 years at at Thomas Embling psychiatric hospital.

Under the order, handed down by Supreme Court Justice Terry Forrest, Konindaris can apply for the order to be reviewed as early as 2019.

Shearer jailed for killing dad and uncle on sheep farm near Avoca, Victoria.

A REFORMED gambler who cannot remember shooting his dad and uncle on the family's sheep farm, or his motivation for doing so, has been jailed for at least 25 years for the chilling and senseless double murder.

Inept hitmen jailed

TWO MEN who dressed as Telstra workers in an “inept” attempt to carry out a contract killing have been jailed for at least nine years.

Brett Matthew Murch, 39, and Russell James Logan, 40, were convicted by a Supreme Court jury of one count each of attempted murder.

The target of the attempted hit was Leonard Gjeka, who was shot three times by Murch at his Mount Barker home in March 2010.Today in sentencing the men, Justice Kevin Nicholson said the attempt to kill Mr Gjeka failed “essentially because of (Murch’s) poor shooting”.

“Had it succeeded it would have been categorised as a contract style killing — although extremely ineptly planned and carried out,” he said.

Mum raped in home invasion

A young Middle Swan mother has told how she is living in fear after an intruder raped her, struck her with a brick and threatened to kill her and her baby son during a terrifying home invasion.

The woman was asleep when she was woken by a loud bang at about 11.30pm last Wednesday.

She heard male voices and footsteps.

The woman's partner was at work and their seven-month-old son was asleep in the next room.

"I thought I would just pretend to be asleep so they could take what they wanted and leave," she told Seven News.

She said the man, who was holding a crowbar, entered her room.

"He then walked out and I was listening out just to see if he'd enter my son's room but I didn't hear him until he came back with my son in his arms and at that point I sat up and he told me to wake up b…. and I said, 'Please don't hurt my son, please don't hurt him'," she said.

"He then told me if I scream or do anything, he'd kill my son."

The woman said the man then threw her son on the bed and she attempted to grab a brick the intruder had put on the bed.

"I grabbed what he put next to me. He saw me pick it up, but snatched it out of my hand and whacked me across the face and said if I did anything like that again, he'd kill me and my son," she said through tears.

The man then sexually assaulted her.

"I then heard another guy run down the hall but never enter the room and yell, 'There's no drugs here, we've got the wrong house, we've got to go, we've got to go'," she said.

"Even though he was doing the wrong thing by breaking in, he did save my life in a way because I don't know what more could have happened."

The woman said the two men fled and she called triple-0.

"I can't sleep. I have nightmares . . . I'm so scared that I'm being watched still," she said.

"I want these guys caught because I don't want them to do this again because no one deserves this and I don't want anyone to have to go through what I'm going through right now and what I had to go through."

One of the men was described as 180cm tall, tanned with a medium build, brown eyes and an American accent. The other man spoke with an Australian accent.

Armed robbery duo sentenced over murder of police officer

THE couple whose bungled robbery led to the death of a Gold Coast detective have been jailed, with one sentenced to a mandatory life in prison.Donna Lee McAvoy and Benjamin Ernest Power, who each played a part in the burglary of a hotel and the killing of Senior Constable Damian Leeding in 2011, have been sentenced.

McAvoy earned life in prison with no possibility of parole for 12 years.

The senior constable's death at the hands of a shotgun wielding robber shocked the state.

The 35-year-old Gold Coast police officer was attempting to intervene while gunman Phillip Graeme Abell, 41, was fleeing the Pacific Pines Tavern with stolen cash.

Abell, and accomplice McAvoy, 40, were found guilty of murdering the father of three last September.

McAvoy may not have pulled the trigger, but she was heavily involved in the robbery and its preparation - helping tie up hotel customers with zip ties.For her role in the heist, the death of a police officer and a previous raid on the Tallai Country Club, McAvoy will be locked up until at least May 30, 2023 - 12 years after she was first taken into custody.

Power, 39, pleaded guilty to manslaughter for his role as lookout and getaway driver. He also pleaded guilty to charges of armed robbery and deprivation of liberty.

Power could be out as early as July 2018, forced to serve 80% of a nine-year sentence minus time served.

Abell was sentenced in October last year to life imprisonment with no parole for at least 20 years.

Grandfather bashed in aged care home invasion

A man in his 60's is in hospital following a violent home invasion at a Redcliffe retirement village

Man cleared after killing friend with meat cleaver

An inner city housing commission resident accused of killing his homeless mate with a meat cleaver has been found not guilty in a Sydney court

Police officer run down by motorcycle

A POLICE officer has suffered severe injuries after being deliberately hit by a trail bike rider he was trying to direct to a booze bus site.

Firefighter bashed by three men

A firefighter was allegedly bashed unconscious by three men outside a North Rockhampton fire station on Wednesday.

Police said the 47-year-old man was outside the Yaamba Road premises about 5.30pm when the group set upon him.He suffered multiple head injuries, including fractured eye sockets, a broken jaw, severe bruising and swelling to the face.

Rockhampton Police Inspector Dave Peff said the group had allegedly attacked a 17-year-old who was mowing a lawn near the fire station and tried to steal his phone and wallet.

He said the 17-year-old then ran to the fire station for help, when a firefighter went outside and tried to speak with the group of men. He was not wearing his uniform at the time.

"As a result of him trying to calm the situation, these three people have set upon him,".

Inspector Peff said.Inspector Peff said no weapons were used in the attack and the victim was knocked unconscious.

Police arrested a 17-year-old man over the incident and he faced the Rockhampton Magistrates Court on Thursday, charged with grievous bodily harm and assault with intent to steal. He was bailed and will face court at a later date.

Inspector Peff said police were still looking for the other men believed to be involved in the attack.

Quakers hill police implement curfew for teenagers

YOUNG people in the Quakers Hill area will be detained by police if they are out on the streets after 10pm without a good reason.

Following a series of break-ins in the Riverstone area, Quakers Hill local area command has become the only command in Sydney to implement the curfew.

After 10pm, any youth aged under 16 years can be detained by police and their parents contacted unless they can show valid reasons for being on the street.

If the youth’s parent is not home, they will be brought to the police station until a parent or relative can be contacted.

Man pleads guilty to murder of Hastings jeweler

A man has pleaded guilty to murdering Hastings jeweller Dermot O'Toole who died trying to protect his wife.

Mr O'Toole, 64, and his wife were attacked during an armed robbery on July 12 last year at the boutique business he had run for 26 years.

Man seriously assaulted - St. Kilda

olice are appealing for witnesses after a man was seriously assaulted in St Kilda on Sunday night.

Police have been told two men were walking along Chapel Street near Inkerman Street when they were approached by two men believed to be aged in their 20s around 6.45pm.

It is believed an altercation occurred near the tram stop and the offenders punched one of the men aged 58 to the head causing him to fall to the ground.

His friend ran to a nearby service station where he raised the alarm and both offenders fled the scene.

The St Kilda man was transported by ambulance to The Alfred hospital in a serious condition.

Woman raped on western Sydney train

A 54-year-old man has been charged after he raped a woman on a train over the weekend.

About 11.40pm on Saturday (29-03), a 33-year-old woman boarded a train at Campbelltown Railway Station, heading to the city.

A man allegedly boarded the same train, and approached the woman once the train started moving.

It will be alleged the man punched the woman in the face knocking her backwards before sexually assaulting her.

Two in hospital following stabbing - Condell Park

Homicide detectives investigate after woman's body found in river - Rydalmere

Police investigate shooting - Guildford Road Can't find any more info on this.

Man stabbed in the stomach following argument - Blacktown

Customer assaulted during liquor store robbery - Roselands

18-year-old woman arrested after stabbing man in neck - Parramatta

Wannabe thief restrained by customers during attempted fast food robbery - Revesby

Sydney man charged after shooting birds off power line

Man arrested after attempted convenience store robbery - Mount Pritchard

Three men stabbed during brawl - Parramatta

Police are searching for two men after they broke into a woman's house twice in two hours - Fairfield

Firearms, drugs seized in western Sydney raid

Man arrested with handguns, ammunition, police equipment during traffic stop - Matraville

Man in hospital after being stabbed during fight - Wollongong

Police investigate armed robbery - Keysborough

Men wanted over brothel robberies

Police are appealing for public assistance to identify a car believed to be involved in two recent armed robberies of brothels committed in south-western Sydney.

Fast food outlet targeted in armed robbery - Croyden Park

Firearms stolen during robbery - Newcastle

Hotel employee threatened with firearms during attempted armed robbery - Bateau Bay

Man stabbed - Bidwill

Woman assaulted during robbery - Auburn

Police appeal for assistance following aggravated robbery at brothel - Ashfield

Armed robbery - Winston Hills

Elderly man bashed during home invasion - Bexley

Woman raped during attack - Terallba

Man faces court over 2013 Bexley North shooting

Firearms, cash and jewelry stolen during robbery - Belmore

Man dies in hospital following assault

A man has died after allegedly being assaulted at a house in East Maitland last week.

Police appeal for witnesses after man's car stolen at gunpoint - Merrylands

Men arrested in relation to Bexley shooting murder (2013)

Woman escapes after attempted bus stop abduction - Pooraka

Attempted armed robbery - Kardinya

Man bashed and glassed during nightclub assault - Northbridge

Teenagers found with pram full of stolen guns

About 5:40pm yesterday, police responded to reports of juveniles acting suspiciously in the vicinity of Gardner Street, Spalding.

Police located the juveniles near a pram covered with a rug. When police lifted the rug from the pram they located five rifles lying in the pram.

The juveniles fled and after a short foot pursuit one was apprehend.

It is alleged the firearms were stolen from a home in O’Neil Street, Spalding about 30 minutes prior to police being called to the incident in Gardner Street.

Inquiries are ongoing and a 15 year old boy from Spalding has been charged with one count each of Aggravated Burglary and Stealing.

Employees threatened with machete during service station robbery - Naval Base There's an actual suburb called Naval Base :lol:

Police investigate after backpacker finds body - Newdgate

Man bashed after car accident - Moolooaba

Armed robbery - South Townsville

Police appeal for assistance after bus driver attacked - Surfers Paradise

Police appeal for witnesses following Alexandra Hill robbery

31-year-old man seriously assaulted during home invasion - Warwick

Police investigate deaths of man and woman after bodies located in house - Glasshouse Mountains

Teenagers in hospital after being attacked with sword - Maryvale

Shots fired into house - Glenorchy No injuries.

Shots fired into house - Bridgewater No injuries.

Last edited:

DW98

Community leaders appeal for calm following Sydney shooting

A man who was targeted in a shooting in Sydney's west is a member of an anti-Islamic extremist group.

Nathan Abela, 24, was not shot but suffered a shoulder injury when he dived for cover when at least 8 bullets were fired into his apartment.

Mr Abela is a member of the Australian Defence League, which says on its Facebook page that its aim is "standing up against Islam now, not when it's too late".

The group is active on social media and claims to have members across Australia.

The group released a video messaged saying Mr Abela was recovering well and would be "back fighting again soon, stronger and better than ever".

Man shot, police officer seriously assaulted

A man is in a critical condition after he was shot by police during a domestic disturbance at Capalaba overnight.

Two police officers arrived at the unit about 7:30pm on Saturday.

When they tried to arrest the man, the male officer was allegedly thrown through a plate glass window, causing severe cuts, before he was further assaulted.

It is understood that the policewoman responded by shooting the male offender twice in the stomach.

The injured officer is in a serious but stable condition and is expected to have surgery.

It is the second police shooting at the unit complex.

In 2011, a policewoman shot a man in the groin who had threatened neighbours.

Two men shot - Pyrmont

Police are appealing for information from the public after two men were shot in Pyrmont overnight.

About 10.40pm (Sunday 6 April 2014), police were called to Jones Street following reports of a shooting.

At the scene, police located a man with a gunshot wound to his head and another with a gunshot wound to his back. They were treated by paramedics and taken to hospital; both are in a critical condition.

Shots fired into house - Bonnyrigg

Police are conducting investigations after shots were fired into a house at Bonnyrigg overnight.

About 11.10pm (Sunday 6 April 2014), police were called to a house on Edensor Road following reports of a shooting.

It is believed a number of shots were fired into the front window of the house. The occupants were home but not injured during the incident.

Shots fired into business, vehicle - Eaglehawk

Police are investigating an incident in Eaglehawk where shots were fired into a workshop and vehicle earlier this week. No one was injured in the shooting

Police investigate double homicide - Encounter Bay A "weapon" was believed to have been used in both murders.

Just before 1:30pm Victor Harbour police attended a house at Matthew Flinders Drive at Encounter Bay. On arrival they discovered the body of a man. Police patrols have arrested a younger man known to the victim at the scene. Further inquiries by local police have revealed the discovery of a woman's body near the house.

Last edited:

Haz.

Woman killed after a brutal brick attack outside a block of Redfern units.

[Police arrived just in the nick of time, to clean up the mess and set up a crime scene. Shame the woman was not able to defend herself with a hand gun!]

"Woman killed after a brutal brick attack outside a block of Redfern units.

A WOMAN has died after she was brutally bashed with a brick in Redfern.

Police desperately tried to revive the bloodied victim, who was suffering severe head injuries, as she lay sprawled on the ground outside a block of units in Morehead St at 10.15pm on Friday.

Her alleged attacker, who was arrested naked outside the property, is under police guard in hospital.
Neighbours from nearby unit blocks could be seen watching as paramedics treated the woman, but said they did not want to comment. Another resident said there was a lot of tension on the street lately and it had become a dangerous area.

Police had cordoned off part of the street, near the corner of Cooper St, setting up a crime scene at the front yard of the unit block.

Forensics police could also be seen examining the street late into the night."

DW98

I didn't hear about that, but sadly that type of thing seems to be happening a lot lately.

Gunman on the run following Melbourne CBD shooting

A pedestrian shot in the chest by an unknown motorist in Melbourne’s CBD is lucky to be alive, police say.

Police are searching for a driver who pulled out a handgun and shot a man in the chest in Melbourne’s CBD on Sunday morning.

Woman in serious condition after Brisbane shooting

Police say the woman, 36, suffered two gunshot wounds during a disturbance at a Chambers Flat property on Friday night.

A 38-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, acts intended to maim and entering a dwelling with intent.

Police search for gunmen following Geelong shooting

A man was shot in the leg after two men entered a house in East Geelong about 8.30pm tonight.

Police are looking for the two men involved in the shooting at McNeill Avenue.

A police spokeswoman confirmed the victim suffered non-life threatening injuries.

DW98

Mother killed in front of teenage son on busy shopping street in west Melbourne Apparently she was pregnant as well. Just tragic....

A MOTHER of four was shockingly murdered in front of her teenage son, only moments after taking legal steps to protect herself.

The frenzied knife attack unfolded in broad daylight as she walked along a busy Sunshine shopping strip.

Police were hunting the victim’s de facto partner of 18 years, a North Sunshine man, who they suspect is responsible.

Investigators said the man was known to police and had a history of domestic violence.

He was captured on CCTV fleeing the scene.

Horrified onlookers, including the pair’s son, watched as the woman was repeatedly stabbed in the chest with a fishing knife about 12.25pm on Wednesday.

Paramedics tried to save the West Melton woman, but she went into cardiac arrest and could not be revived.

Man critically injured after St Kilda shooting

Police are hunting two men seen leaving the scene after a man was shot with a shotgun in Melbourne's south-east on Monday afternoon.

Officers found a 31-year-old man with a gunshot wound inside an apartment in Balaclava Road, St Kilda East just after 4pm.

They are looking for two men leaving the scene on foot shortly after the shooting.

Paramedics treated the man for a gunshot wound to his upper legs and took him to The Alfred Hospital where he in a critical condition.

Shots fired into house - Liverpool

Shots have been fired in yet another shooting in Sydney's south-west.

About 11:30pm, police were called to Mainsbridge Avenue following reports of a shooting.

It is believed a number of shots were fired into the front of a house. The occupants were home, and despite the bullets penetrating the walls, they were not injured.

Two shootings in Sydney's west

POLICE in Sydney's west are investigating two suburban shootings which occurred in nearby suburbs and just an hour apart.

There was no indication that the incidents were linked.

Police were called at 7:30pm on Wednesday, and told a man had been shot at a location on Bedford Road in Homebush West.

"On arrival officers located a large amount of blood but no people at the scene," according to a NSW Police statement.

An hour later at 8:30pm, police were called to a property about 10km away where a teenager had been shot in the shoulder. He was taken to Westmead Hopsital for treatment for what police described as non-life threatening injuries.

A crime scene had been established at both locations and specialist police were investigating.

Man shot - Guildford

Police say a man who was shot while claiming to be jogging in Sydney's west wasn't wearing running gear.

The 25-year-old told police he was jogging in Springfield Park in Old Guildford between 6.30pm and 8pm (AEST) on Thursday when he was shot.

He is currently being treated in Westmead Hosptial for non-life threatening injuries.

Last edited:

Haz.

"A MOTHER of four was shockingly murdered in front of her teenage son, only moments after taking legal steps to protect herself."

Hi mate. It seems the legal AVO, "Apprehended Violence Order," a piece of paper signed by a judge in a court, she was granted by the judge, ordering her husband to say away from her did absolutely nothing to protect her or save her life! And again, the police as all ways, turned up too late to save her but, just in the nick of time to draw a chalk line around her body, cover her body, take witness statements, and eventually clean up the mess, and begin searching for the killer.

Its a pity the woman never had a firearm, either CC or OC! She might still be alive.

Parents, teach your daughters to shoot. AVO's are not even worth the paper they are written on!

Last edited:

DW98

Hi mate. It seems the legal AVO, "Apprehended Violence Order," a piece of paper signed by a judge in a court, she was granted by the judge, ordering her husband to say away from her did absolutely nothing to protect her or save her life! And again, the police as all ways, turned up too late to save her but, just in the nick of time to draw a chalk line around her body, cover her body, take witness statements, and eventually clean up the mess, and begin searching for the killer.

Its a pity the woman never had a firearm, either CC or OC! She might still be alive.

Parents, teach your daughters to shoot. AVO's are not even worth the paper they are written on!

I think the least they could do is legalize pepper spray. I can't see it happening though.

I can picture the entire country as a big version of western Sydney before too long.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I think the least they could do is legalize pepper spray. I can't see it happening though.

I can picture the entire country as a big version of western Sydney before too long.

Maybe carry a wood chipper around with you ... throw bad guy into wood chipper !

Pepper spray? All it does is piss a person off.

keep on pushing !

DW98

Maybe carry a wood chipper around with you ... throw bad guy into wood chipper !

Pepper spray? All it does is piss a person off.

keep on pushing !

You know, that's not a bad idea at all..

Maybe so, but I'm sure it could help in a lot of situations. I can't see why it's not legal.

Thanks, you too.

DW98

Are people allowed to use martial arts to defend themselves?
Or is that illegal too?

It depends if you use what's deemed unreasonable force or not. More often that not you'd probably get in trouble.

HPmatt

Pardon me for not knowing but has Australia always been so pacifistic? I worked with a guy back in the 80s from Australia and he didn't seem to convey he escaped from the land where self-defense was illegal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

DW98

Pardon me for not knowing but has Australia always been so pacifistic? I worked with a guy back in the 80s from Australia and he didn't seem to convey he escaped from the land where self-defense was illegal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

No, it's changed in the last decade or so. Things are very different here than they were in the 80's, sadly.

Haz.

Are people allowed to use martial arts to defend themselves?
Or is that illegal too?

While I'm not allowed to CC or OC, I would not hesitate using martial arts if attacked. Both my daughter and grand son are black belts, (Taekwondo.) My grandson has used his skills in a limited way to defend himself in high school after being repeatedly threatened, then attacked by a gang of bullies in the hall between classes. He was suspended from school for one week, the attackers were not?

Our country is stuffed that's for sure.

At least my grandson was not physically hurt, the bullies were and now avoid him like the bubonic plague!!

'Krav maga, Israeli self-defence system, gaining popularity amid focus on alcohol-fuelled violence

7.30 By Conor Duffy

Updated Tue 18 Feb 2014, 3:05pm AEDT

Two men practise krav maga.
Photo: Two men practise krav maga. (ABC News)

Related Story: Safety in city pact opts for grog control 'light' Related Story: One-punch law in force on NSW streets tonight Related Story: Father Riley backs 'one-punch' laws

The national focus on alcohol-fuelled violence has seen a surge of interest in self-defence, including a controversial program used by the Israeli army called krav maga.

Proponents say krav maga, Hebrew for contact combat, is the perfect weapon for dealing with drunken thugs because it allows women, in particular, to overpower much larger opponents.

But krav maga attacks aim to inflict the maximum physical harm and criminal lawyers are warning those who use it could end up in jail.

Krav maga was designed in the 1930s to protect European Jews from fascist attacks. Later, it became mandatory in the Israeli army.

A few years ago krav maga was unheard of in Australia, but now new schools are opening right around the country.

"It can look brutal, it certainly can," said instructor Alex Trafton, who has worked as an Israeli military contractor.

"But if you look at what the need for krav maga is, it's these king hits in Kings Cross. There's a 17-year-old or 18-year-old kid who's now dead because of this.

"Ask him if he would have liked to be able to punch the guy in the throat first or kick him in the groin first and I think at this point the options are clear."

Students taught to target eyes, groin

Krav maga teaches people how to go for the throat, eyes, neck and groin, and it teaches them to go hard.

Online videos for krav maga also teach how to break bones.

"You need to target vulnerable areas [and] be very aggressive in your counter attack to disable that person. That is the fundamental principle of krav maga," Mr Trafton said.

I think that the key phrase in the article is "self-defence". The point is to defend yourself if required, and to get out of there. Leave the rough stuff for the professionals in the police force. Your job is to look after yourself, not fix the world's problems.

Criminal lawyer Andrew Tiedt says eye gouging could see krav maga students fall foul of the law, and that blinding a person could see them jailed.

"In the majority of cases I'd say eye gouging probably goes beyond what a court would see as being appropriate, in those circumstances," he said.

"I think people should be very careful if they plan on defending themselves aggressively that they do only what is reasonable to defend themselves from the fear they perceive.

"If people are going to go out there and start flogging anyone who looks at them sideways they'd be taking a very, very big risk."

Mr Trafton says he will not train people who he thinks will use krav maga for the wrong reasons.

"It's important that I reinforce that they do it always legally, and that the force is proportionate," he said.

"I will not train people who have violent history, who have violent tendencies due to mental illness, or who have a criminal record.

"I won't at all be involved in training those people because this is a tool to help people defend themselves, not to victimise people."

Former commando teaches krav maga to women, prostitutes

Former Army Commando Kevin Marshall runs a krav maga program called Fight Like a Girl, in which he teaches women how to fight in casual clothes they might wear on a night out.

"We had young mums, people who didn't feel comfortable, people who had been attacked in the past, also members of the lesbian, gay and transgender community who didn't feel comfortable training - and I saw that they needed this program," Mr Marshall said.

"We've had people come in very, very quiet and very meek and mild and turn into lionesses after the program. It's great to see."

Mr Marshall and instructor Cathy Grapsias also teach krav maga to prostitutes and strippers, acting out a range of attack scenarios.

"That's a very marginalised group in society and the people who really need self-defence skills. Those women are in high-risk occupations and they sometimes are in real risk of danger," he said.

"I remember when I originally spoke with a sex workers outreach program, their president had to cancel the meeting because one of her workers was killed the night before."

A random attack in a pub left intellectual property lawyer Blair Bevan with good reasons to learn how to defend himself.

"He picked a glass and he smashed that in the side of my face, so it was a pretty violent act, completely unexpected and unprovoked," he said.

"I was very lucky. I could have lost an eye."

Mr Bevan says he used krav maga recently to defend himself at a rugby match.

"This guy came at me pretty aggressively and I was able to block his punch and then was able to strike him in the face, which is not nice but I felt pretty threatened and that was the end of it," he said."

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

While I'm not allowed to CC or OC, I would not hesitate using martial arts if attacked. Both my daughter and grand son are black belts, (Taekwondo.) My grandson has used his skills in a limited way to defend himself in high school after being repeatedly threatened, then attacked by a gang of bullies in the hall between classes. He was suspended from school for one week, the attackers were not?

Our country is stuffed that's for sure.

At least my grandson was not physically hurt, the bullies were and now avoid him like the bubonic plague!!

SNIP...Krav maga teaches people how to go for the throat, eyes, neck and groin, and it teaches them to go hard.

Online videos for krav maga also teach how to break bones.

"You need to target vulnerable areas [and] be very aggressive in your counter attack to disable that person. That is the fundamental principle of krav maga," Mr Trafton said.

I think that the key phrase in the article is "self-defence". The point is to defend yourself if required, and to get out of there. Leave the rough stuff for the professionals in the police force. Your job is to look after yourself, not fix the world's problems.

Criminal lawyer Andrew Tiedt says eye gouging could see krav maga students fall foul of the law, and that blinding a person could see them jailed.

"In the majority of cases I'd say eye gouging probably goes beyond what a court would see as being appropriate, in those circumstances," he said.

"I think people should be very careful if they plan on defending themselves aggressively that they do only what is reasonable to defend themselves from the fear they perceive.

"If people are going to go out there and start flogging anyone who looks at them sideways they'd be taking a very, very big risk."

I can't believe some people like those in the article don't get it:

YES, I want the most DEADLY firearm-caliber combo because I might not get a second shot.

YES, I want each of my strikes to inflict as much damage as possible because I want the attack to end before I, the person who didn't ask to be attacked, get hurt.

It's like telling someone that they should defend themselves with a plastic butterknife instead of a chef knife so that they don't hurt the criminal who attacked them while they were in the home.

Last edited: