• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Let's see how gun control is working for us

DW98

Two shot in Newcastle home invasion

A NEWCASTLE man was fighting for his life in hospital last night after being shot while sleeping at a friend’s home.

The family of Luke Convery said he was simply “in the wrong place at the wrong time” when he was shot in the head metres from where a two-year-old girl was sleeping. Police will allege a 31-year-old man broke into the Cole St, *Jesmond home, near Newcastle, about 2.20am armed with a .22 calibre pump-action rifle.

Officers say the intruder shot Mr Convery while he was sleeping in the lounge room, before going into a bedroom and shooting a 30-year-old man four times in the head.

It is believed the gunman was known to a woman who lived at the home.

Relatives of Mr Convery *described him as a “great kid” and said his condition was “touch and go” last night.

“He’s an innocent person. He doesn’t do drugs or anything. He doesn’t mind having fun with his mates but I think he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time,” relative Luke Sneddon said.

Mr Convery’s family was by his side at John Hunter Hospital last night, where he is on life support. The other man is in a serious but stable condition.

The alleged intruder was arrested soon after in Lambton and charged with shoot with intent to murder, break and enter and firearm offences.

DW98

Man shot dead in neighbour dispute - Woolowin

UPDATE: A MAN has died after he was shot in the stomach.

A 61-year-old man has been charged after the incident on Brisbane’s northside.

The incident is believed to be the climax of a long-running dispute between neighbours.

The 48-year-old man was left with life-threatening gunshot wounds to his stomach after being shot around 4.30pm Tuesday.

He died in hospital this morning.

Neighbours said the two men were having their latest argument in one of their units at the housing commission block on Felix Street, Wooloowin when things turned ugly with the sound of a single gunshot.

Neighbour Doug Williamson said while the shooting was tragic he was hoping there might be less commotion in the street from now on.

“It might calm them all down now,” he said.

“I’m just glad it’s over and done with as far as I’m concerned.

“We might get some peace and quiet around here now.”

Another neighbour, who did not want to be identified, said the alleged shooter dialled emergency services himself.

The neighbour, who had helped arriving ambulance crews, said the duo’s dispute “had been going on for quite a while.”

They didn’t hear the dispute; only the shot that ended it.

Another neighbour said usually tries to avoid the property altogether.

“We try and stay away from there to be quite honest,” he said.

“We’ve just heard things (about the residents).”

The the 61-year-old is set to face the Brisbane Magistrates Court today.

Government worker shot dead - Moree

The shooting death of Environment and Heritage worker Glendon Turner on a property in northern NSW has left two communities in mourning and a family without their much-loved husband and father, the mayor of the region says.

Moree Plains Shire mayor Katrina Humphries said frustration over environmental issues around the Moree area had been so great in recent years that she had feared it would erupt in violence, but that it "shouldn't get to this".

Police confirmed a 51-year-old man from Tamworth had been killed at a property 55 kilometres north of Moree on the Newell Highway about 5.40pm on Tuesday.

Mr Turner had two young children, a son and a daughter, a family member said.

Police say they arrested a 79-year-old Moree man at a nearby property without incident just before 11pm.

Ian Turnbull was taken to Moree police station and charged on Wednesday morning with one count of murder. He is due to appear in Moree Local Court on Wednesday.

DW98

Two dead, two injured after rural Victoria shooting

A man and a woman are dead and two others have been injured in a shooting spree in Victoria's north-west.

Police said a man armed with a shotgun went to his ex-wife's home at Kerang around 11.30pm on Saturday night and shot her in the neck and hand.

Her husband was shot in the shoulder as he wrestled and disarmed the gunman, who fled the scene before authorities arrived.

The couple were taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

As part of the investigation into the shooting, police visited a property at Murrabit West, about 30 kilometres away, where they discovered the body of the gunman in his car and a woman dead inside the house.

Both had gunshot wounds.

Inspector Jamie Templeton from Victoria Police said the man had taken a second gun with him to Murrabit West after being disarmed in Kerang.

He said investigators were not sure when the woman found dead inside the house had died. She has yet to be identified.

"The whole situation was extremely nasty," Inspector Templeton said.

"It's a horrible situation, traumatic for all parties and I understand that there were children that may have been present at the home in Kerang that may have witnessed the struggle and the shotgun blast.

"So there's a number of people that are affected and it's a horrific crime scene and all the emergency services and other people involved, and of course families and friends and associates, there'll certainly be some ongoing support and welfare applied there."

Horrible....

DW98

Man shot dead - Leichhardt 2345059th shooting in Sydney's west.....

1407762104546.jpg-620x349.jpg

A man has been shot dead at Leichhardt in Sydney's inner-west.

Witnesses on Lords Road told police they heard five gunshots before seeing a man stumble into George Street and collapse.

"Two persons were then seen running into George Street. They escaped on foot," Acting Superintendent Winston Pisani said.

1407762104597.jpg-620x349.jpg

Paramedics attempted to revive the man but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Acting Superintendent Pisani said the man who died was aged between 25 and 35 years old.

The two men seen running on George Street were described to police as between 175 - 195cm tall and between 25 - 35 years of age.

One was wearing a green rugby style shirt with the number seven on the back.

The other was wearing a blue hat, blue shirt and black gloves.

Local police and the homicide squad were called to the scene at about 5.40pm on Monday.

There have been no arrests, and police have urged the public to to avoid the area. They are speaking to three witnesses about the shooting.

Lords Road is expected to remain closed for several hours.

Last edited:

DW98

Teenage terror suspect shot dead after stabbing police officers - Melbourne He was planning to behead them. Thankfully both officers are recovering.

The terrorism suspect shot dead by a Victoria Police officer outside Endeavour Hills police station has been named as 18-year-old Numan Haider.

Mr Haider stabbed a Victoria Police officer and an Australian Federal Police member, who were investigating him over allegations he had recently unfurled an Islamic

State flag in a suburban shopping centre and made several inflammatory remarks about the Australian Federal Police and ASIO on social media.

On Mr Haider's Facebook page, he had posted photographs of himself wearing military camouflage with an Islamic flag alongside abusive message towards ASIO and the federal police.

"Lets not put the focus on other things. The main message I'm sending with these statuses and photos is to the dogs AFP and ASIO who are declaring war on Islam and Muslims," Mr Haider posted on Facebook.

Mr Haider made other comments about Australian law enforcement agencies that cannot be published.

Photographs on Mr Haider's Facebook site also include other images of what appear to be members of Islamic State, also known as ISIS, in the Middle East.

Several friends of Mr Haider have confirmed to Fairfax Media that he had been killed after stabbing two police officers.

"He was the best kid, [who] never harmed anyone, never missed a prayer," one friend said.

Authorities have privately confirmed Mr Haider's identity.

A family member, standing outside Mr Haider's home on Wednesday afternoon, made no comment about the incident.

The home is located about halfway between the Endeavour Hills police station and the Hallam Mosque, where many of the Muslims in the region attend.

Police said the two officers met the Narre Warren man outside the police station before he lashed out at the officers with a sharp instrument. Mr Lay refuted reports that he was running towards the police station when he was shot.

Onlookers - who did not want to be named - said the dead man had been shouting insults at Prime Minister Tony Abbott and the Australian government in general in the moments before he was shot.

The federal government says the shooting occurred "in self-defence" and the victim was a known terrorism suspect.

Horrific murder-suicide shocks neighbourhood

A Brisbane chef chopped up and cooked his girlfriend before taking his own life in a grisly murder suicide.

Police were called to the Brisbane apartment of Marcus Volke, 28, after reports of a "eye-watering" smell like "rotting meat".

And shocked officers discovered the body parts of Volke's girlfriend Mayang Prasetyo in a pot on the stove.

Other parts of the Indonesian woman – reportedly a transgender prostitute – were found in bins outside the apartment.

Another body – believed to be Volke's – was found in a large bin near the flat. He had cut his own throat, according to reports.

The couple had only recently moved to the upmarket apartment complex in the wealthy riverside suburb of Teneriffe, according to reports.

Residents reported hearing loud arguments coming from their home up to a week ago.

And a tradesman who been called to the complex told Channel 10 that the carpet "squelched" under his feet as he walked through the apartment.

Volke had met his girlfriend while they were both working as chefs aboard international cruise ships.

He had recently returned to Australia, his mother said.

Man shot dead - Croydon Park

A man gunned down on a Sydney street overnight was known to police.

Paramedics tried to save the man who was found lying on the footpath at Dunmore Street, Croydon Park, in the Sydney's inner west, at 1.30am on Sunday, but he died at the scene.

Man killed in frenzied stabbing attack while watching busking performance

A YOUNG man was stabbed to death on the state’s mid-north coast yesterday after he “looked at someone the wrong way” near a busking performance.

One dead, two serious after Liverpool stabbing

Man charged over Thornbury homicide

Police officer shot in the leg - Preston

Cyclist shot in roadside argument - Barrack Heights

Decomposing body found in boot - Lidcombe

Man charged with three counts of murder after Sydney building explosion

Shots fired into apartment - Pendle Hill

Shots fired during bar brawl - Fairfield

Man shot in the leg - Liverpool

Two wounded in shooting - Elizabeth North

Shots fired into house - Liverpool

Shots fired into car-repair business - Penrith

Man found murdered - North Paramatta

Shots fired into house - Smithfield

Shots fired into house - Prairewood

Shots fired during fight - Guildford

Shots fired into car - Rouse Hill

Shots fired into house - Bonnyrigg

Shots fired into house - Berala

Man shot in the leg - Merrylands

Man dies after stabbing - Greenfield Park

Shots fired into car, house - Bonnyrigg

Man shot dead - Miller

Shots fired into house - Lethbridge Park

Shots fired into house - Lurena

Man in custody after shooting at police, firefighters - Rockhampton

Man charged over three drive-by shootings - Western Sydney

Man shot at during road rage incident - Concord

Man beats neighbour to death - Southport

Shots fired into house, vehicle - Mount Gravatt East

Shots fired into house - Gorokan

Men charged with torture, murder of missing man - Gold Coast

Shots fired into house - Raymond Terrace

Man stabbed to death - Ashwood

Man beaten to death in home invasion - Coomera

Gunman shot dead by police - Brisbane

Woman beaten to death - Budgewoi

Man charged over woman's murder - Safety Beach

Man shot in robbery - Lesmurdie

Shots fired in home invasion - Clarkson

Woman stabbed to death - Taree

Man wounded in shooting - Narre Warren

Shots fired in street fight - South Melbourne

Man charged after woman murdered - Wallan

Shots fired into house - Woodrige

Woman shot dead in nursing home - Jollymount

Shots fired into house - Waikerie

Man shot at - Salisbury

Shots fired in bank robbery - Mount Plesant

Shots fired into car - Oakleigh East

Man murdered - Seaford

Man shot in home invasion - Creastmead

Man shot at - Cranbourne

Shots fired into house - Plympton

Last edited:

DW98

Brisbane bus violence 'crisis' There needs to be some serious consideration into legalizing pepper spray.

Brisbane buses have been at the centre of more than 10,000 violent incidents over the last three years.

Man beaten to death in unprovoked attack outside McDonalds - South Melbourne

AN ANZ bank staffer who *allegedly stomped a man to death in a sickening attack outside a McDonald’s restaurant had spent the night at home playing a basketball game on his PlayStation.
No idea what playing Playstation has to do with beating someone to death. Anyway....

Woman shot, held hostage during armed robbery - Melbourne

Police are hunting a man who shot a woman and briefly held her hostage during a "terrifying" attempted armed robbery in Melbourne's west this morning.

Man shot by police - Rochedale

A 29-year-old man remains in a critical condition at Princess Alexandra hospital after being shot in the head once and arms four times by police investigating the theft of a trailer and mower in Rochedale on Tuesday.

Man wounded in shooting - Guildford

Man critical after shooting - Belmore

Man charged over 2012 fatal Sydney construction site shooting

NSW pizza delivery driver robbed at gunpoint - Shot fired

Shots fired into car - Glenroy

Shots fired in hotel robbery - Berala

Man shot at - Findon

Two dead, one missing - Police check for underworld links

Police are investigating possible links between slain drug dealer Jamie Gao, a missing Sydney father and a high roller shot dead outside a McDonald's in Sydney's inner west.

It is believed the three men may have been associating with the same criminal underworld figures in the lead-up to their deaths and disappearance this year.

"We believe they may have been associating with the same people and we are exploring the links," police said.

Last edited:

DW98

Police in stand-off with shooter I swear these types of incidents are on the rise. Just terrible.

Police are negotiating with a suspected shooter at a property at Wedderburn, 75km north west of Bendigo.

It is understood that three people have been shot and the homicide squad are en route.

A police spokeswoman said police were negotiating with a man at a nearby residence, but it is unknown whether there is anyone else on the premises.

DW98

Did you ever consider moving somewhere safer, like the United States?

Yeah, either to the US or Canada. It's a long and complicated process, but I think in the end it would be worth it. I know someone that moved to Canada not long ago and they love it. It's miles better than here apparently.

protias

Yeah, either to the US or Canada. It's a long and complicated process, but I think in the end it would be worth it. I know someone that moved to Canada not long ago and they love it. It's miles better than here apparently.

Canada is not free like (most of) the US.

DW98

Considering what I'm used to, I think it would feel very free. Anyway, it'll be a while yet before I can afford to leave so there'll be plenty of time to consider where to go.

Bonagles

Good thread. It breaks my heart how bad this country has become.

When I was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s, I used to take my SLR to go shooting at a mates property. On the way there I'd always pass through town with it slung over my shoulder, no one batted an eye. Now days a kid can't buy an air rifle without a gun license...and it needs to be stored in their parents safe who also needs a gun license! In the early 80s I was allowed to carry my Colt 1911 .45 concealed in a shoulder holster. How times have changed.

Rusty Young Man

Considering what I'm used to, I think it would feel very free. Anyway, it'll be a while yet before I can afford to leave so there'll be plenty of time to consider where to go.

*Shudders*
Somehow, that just sounds wrong. I've periodically checked in on this thread, was disgusted by the Sydney mall stabbing and horrified by the butchering story, but this post of yours may be the most haunting.

Hope you and yours are soon able to find a nice place where you aren't rendered defenseless.

Good thread. It breaks my heart how bad this country has become.

When I was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s, I used to take my SLR to go shooting at a mates property. On the way there I'd always pass through town with it slung over my shoulder, no one batted an eye. Now days a kid can't buy an air rifle without a gun license...and it needs to be stored in their parents safe who also needs a gun license! In the early 80s I was allowed to carry my Colt 1911 .45 concealed in a shoulder holster. How times have changed.

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona Bonagles!:)

Fine choice of pistol, by the way.

Last edited:

DW98

Welcome aboard, Bonagles. Very sad indeed how much has changed.

Hope you and yours are soon able to find a nice place where you aren't rendered defenseless.

Question regarding Arizona. I recall a while ago you mentioned that you don't need to be a citizen to carry a firearm there, so, if I moved there on a visa, I assume I'd be able to own firearms?

qednick

Welcome aboard, Bonagles. Very sad indeed how much has changed.

Question regarding Arizona. I recall a while ago you mentioned that you don't need to be a citizen to carry a firearm there, so, if I moved there on a visa, I assume I'd be able to own firearms?

If it's a not a non-immigrant visa (eg. not just a tourist) then you can own throughout the US. Different states have different rules about how you would go about purchasing one. States like Arizona I believe you don't need a permit to buy though I'm not sure if there's any waiting period. Here in Texas there's no permit to buy and the background check is pretty much instant in most cases. If you go through the process of obtaining a concealed carry permit, they don't run the background check when you buy a weapon since clean background is implied with the CC permit.

In Arizona, no permit is required for concealed or open carry. In Texas you need a permit to conceal, but you can open carry long guns or pre-1899 cap and ball revolvers (or replicas thereof) without any permits--hopefully we'll have another stab at getting modern pistol open carry here (in Texas) pretty soon.

I should probably add a couple more tidbits of immigrant related info:

I believe it's possible to make a purchase on a non-immigrant visa if you have purchased a valid hunting license. Which would technically mean that you could come out as a tourist, buy a hunting license, then go buy a firearm. I'm not 100% sure, and I don't know anyone who's actually done this.

Also, even if you're a legal permanent resident (ie. green card holder), some of the larger chains (Academy, Bass Pro, Cabellas, etc.) will insist that you take your last 3 months utility bills (in your name) before they'll sell to you. I used to think this was an ATF requirement for non-Citizens but it turns out it's just corporate policy at those stores. In essence, as a green card holder, you have all the rights and responsibilities of a US Citizen--except the right to vote. It's a pity that these larger chains come up with bone-headed policies like this.

Last edited:

DW98

Thanks for that, qudnick. That's very helpful. I was under the impression most states did not allow a non-citizen to buy a firearm. Good to know.

In Texas you need a permit to conceal, but you can open carry long guns or pre-1899 cap and ball revolvers (or replicas thereof) without any permits--hopefully we'll have another stab at getting modern pistol open carry here (in Texas) pretty soon.

I've heard of that before; very strange indeed. Can you conceal carry modern handguns?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for that, qudnick. That's very helpful. I was under the impression most states did not allow a non-citizen to buy a firearm. Good to know.
In Texas you need a permit to conceal, but you can open carry long guns or pre-1899 cap and ball revolvers (or replicas thereof) without any permits--hopefully we'll have another stab at getting modern pistol open carry here (in Texas) pretty soon.
I've heard of that before; very strange indeed. Can you conceal carry modern handguns?

To clarify - Texas allows concealed carry of handguns with a Concealed Handgun License (CHL).
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetforms/Forms/CHL-16.pdf

We are getting a bit off topic for this sub-forum though.

Last edited: