Thread: millstone theatre fayetteville not open carey friendly

millstone theatre fayetteville not open carey friendly

I was open carrying while attempting to enter the millstone theater when the manager told me they do not allow firearms in the building. I politely informed that I did not see any signs posted on the door prohibiting carry. He then, rather combatively, told me they aren't required to post and that they received a lot of negative attention on blogs when they did so they took the signs down but kept the policy. He then basicly stated that they wouldn't mess with completely concealed carry but would ask open carriers to leave. I then informed him I would not be spending any money there in the future.

He is correct, he does not have to post. It is illegal in NC to carry a firearm into a assembly where a admission fee is charged. This changed somewhat this year if a person has a CHP. If you do not have a permit you are breaking the law, if you do just conceal with your handy dandy permission slip from the guberment.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I do have a chp and I know he doesn't have to. I just wanted to make sure people were aware he is exercsising his property right since he is too cowardly to post. I prefer to open carry when possible.

Again he DOES NOT HAVE TO POST! IMHO I would prefer that businesses do not post, why would you have a problem with a business not posting, but based on the past law, and possibly current OC is illegal in a theater. You have a permission slip, USE it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    He is correct, he does not have to post. It is illegal in NC to carry a firearm into a assembly where a admission fee is charged. This changed somewhat this year if a person has a CHP. If you do not have a permit you are breaking the law, if you do just conceal with your handy dandy permission slip from the guberment.
    On the flip side (not that I agree with this): how can the guberment mess with the property owner's desire to allow OC on his property?

Oooooh, looks like business' property rights do have limits?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    On the flip side (not that I agree with this): how can the guberment mess with the property owner's desire to allow OC on his property?

I'm all for property rights. The whole purpose of this post was simply to identify a business that is anti open carry. Being this open carry.org. not concealed carry .org. At least I thought it was. Since they don't post that they prohibit open carry, I simply wanted to inform my fellow open carriers that this business does not support your right to carry

Excuse me walking wolf if that's an issue.
    Last edited by trooper46; 11-08-2013 at 08:52 AM.

A "No OC" sign would be nice.....

Quote Originally Posted by trooper46 View Post
    I'm all for property rights. The whole purpose of this post was simply to identify a business that is anti open carry. Being this open carry.org. not concealed carry .org. At least I thought it was. Since they don't post that they prohibit open carry, I simply wanted to inform my fellow open carriers that this business does not support your right to carry

Excuse me walking wolf if that's an issue.
    WW's point is that the law has already trumped the property owner's rights in that it is illegal to openly carry in a place where admission is charged. You attempted to enter a theater while open carrying. I can only assume that the theater charges admission (what theater doesn't?). In that case you were breaking state law - no signage is required. The manager could have called the cops without informing you and you could have easily been arrested.

Basically, all theaters in North Carolina are verboten for open carry - whether the owners want to allow it or not.

If you have your CHP, though, you are allowed to carry concealed in places that charge admission as long as there is no sign posted prohibiting such an act.

The theaters that I have been into do not charge to enter the lobby. I have waited 30 minutes or more, in the lobby, when picking up teenagers. The vast majority of folks who go to a theater are going to see a movie and thus would be violating the law it seems if they are OCing.

Quote Originally Posted by dmatting View Post
    WW's point is that the law has already trumped the property owner's rights in that it is illegal to openly carry in a place where admission is charged. You attempted to enter a theater while open carrying. I can only assume that the theater charges admission (what theater doesn't?). In that case you were breaking state law - no signage is required. The manager could have called the cops without informing you and you could have easily been arrested.

Basically, all theaters in North Carolina are verboten for open carry - whether the owners want to allow it or not.

If you have your CHP, though, you are allowed to carry concealed in places that charge admission as long as there is no sign posted prohibiting such an act.
    Thank, you summed up my thoughts exactly! That would be like posting a sign for "No smoking pot", or even just "No Smoking" signs. They do not need to post what is clearly against the law. It is your(General You) responsibility to know the law, not the property owners responsibility to inform you.

I with I believe most members here are anti-signage.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

back to the same old arguement. there is NO PROPERTY rights in America. there are only laws that dictate what you can and can't do

that is one thing i agree with WOLF on is, thanks to the GRNC, it is still illegal to go into a place where there is an admissions charged, carrying like the constitution says

but i will disagree with WOLF, in the signage issue. i think every where you are not allowed to carry (stupid idea anyway), should have a sign. it let's us know right up front when they are being stupid.

i once started to get gas, and i happened to see the door, and saw a no firearm sign. i put the nozzle up and went next door. of course i gave them a NO GUN = NO MONEY card. but if i hadn't seen the sign i would have spent money there
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by dmatting View Post

Not sure that is entirely true...

14-269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    (b) This section shall not apply to the following:
    (1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14-269.
    (2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment.
    (3) A person participating in the event, if the person is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event.
    (4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event.
    (5) A person carrying a handgun if the person has a valid concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, has a concealed handgun permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24, or is exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to G.S. 14-415.25. This subdivision shall not be construed to permit a person to carry a handgun on any premises where the person in legal possession or control of the premises has posted a conspicuous notice prohibiting the carrying of a concealed handgun on the premises in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c).

My (admittedly non-attorney like) interpretation of this would mean that the owner COULD very easily allow OC, if he so chose. Obviously, in this case, the owner/manager has made a conscious decision to follow the laws defaults in this situation, and as WW and DM said, no notice is required.
    Last edited by carolina guy; 11-10-2013 at 02:02 AM. Reason: formatting, and updated code
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    back to the same old argument. there is NO PROPERTY rights in America. there are only laws that dictate what you can and can't do

<snip>
    Thanks for the liberal view of the right to life liberty and property.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I don't always find myself agreeing with Papabear...but this one, I have to side with him on it. If the government can take your property when a crime has NOT been committed, then you have no rights to it.

When the government gets to decide what constitutes "due process" when they do a "taking" for the "public good", it just means you are getting the least they think they can get away with and not cause a general uproar/uprising from the serfs. A "right" that the government can take at anytime, is not a "right".
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Cite Please..
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    I don't always find myself agreeing with Papabear...but this one, I have to side with him on it. If the government can take your property when a crime has NOT been committed, then you have no rights to it.

When the government gets to decide what constitutes "due process" when they do a "taking" for the "public good", it just means you are getting the least they think they can get away with and not cause a general uproar/uprising from the serfs. A "right" that the government can take at anytime, is not a "right".
    CAROLINAGUY, i would hate it if everybody agreed with me. some more then others. but i will always consider your good argument, and defend your right to say it

you can also throw in there, taking your property for better taxes

also there are three kinds of property. one for open accesses business, one for closed business and one for residential. the laws dictate exactly what can happen

- unknown

CAROLINAGUY, i would hate it if everybody agreed with me. some more then others. but i will always consider your good argument, and defend your right to say it

you can also throw in there, taking your property for better taxes

also there are three kinds of property. one for open accesses business, one for closed business and one for residential. the laws dictate exactly what can happen
    And for "business" property, you are including "government" in business, correct?

And for "business" property, you are including "government" in business, correct?
    not sure if i understand you statement correctly

but no, public property is different. i have always viewed public property as especially, should go by the 2ndA

- unknown

not sure if i understand you statement correctly

but no, public property is different. i have always viewed public property as especially, should go by the 2ndA
    There is essentially no such thing as "public" property...all property is owned, including government property. The US was founded on commerce, and all the laws are geared towards that end.

There is essentially no such thing as "public" property...all property is owned, including government property. The US was founded on commerce, and all the laws are geared towards that end.
    you could be right. but the government was not set up on "commerce", but all government is anti commerce,or better explained, is "anti economics".

but the term is "public lands" when owned by the government, considering that we the people are the owners. one of the things that have always bothered me is "the public airways"

- unknown

you could be right. but the government was not set up on "commerce", but all government is anti commerce,or better explained, is "anti economics".

but the term is "public lands" when owned by the government, considering that we the people are the owners. one of the things that have always bothered me is "the public airways"
    If the government was not setup on commerce, what was it setup on? All activities can generally be grouped into either control and/or resources. The government always protects the vested interests of the people at the top of the food chain, and always has done so.

Also gotta take issue with the idea that "the people" are the "owners". I see nothing that would indicate ownership of any public property on the part of "the people". Got any proof of this ownership?
    Last edited by carolina guy; 11-15-2013 at 10:10 AM.

If the government was not setup on commerce, what was it setup on? All activities can generally be grouped into either control and/or resources. The government always protects the vested interests of the people at the top of the food chain, and always has done so.

Also gotta take issue with the idea that "the people" are the "owners". I see nothing that would indicate ownership of any public property on the part of "the people". Got any proof of this ownership?
    saying the Government was set up for commerce is like saying it was set up for Socialism. don't know if i can convey what i want to say but here goes

the government does not always side with the Big business. if you look through history there is a flucuation in freedoms. big business often gets a bad rap the same as the Jews did in Germany. they are the ones targeted. most regulations harm the smaller business more, because they can't comply, and make money, like the bigger ones do

you and i do own the government. but like an unruly servant. they do what we let them get away with. lets say you have a problem that would be illegal (wrong) to handle your self. say you wanted more money. you could send that servant to rob your neighbor at gun point, of course the problem is the neighbor has a servant too (might be the same one). now as long as it is one on one there is no problem. the problem comes when the neighbor's neighbor might agree with him and send the servant to your house

- unknown