• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

millstone theatre fayetteville not open carey friendly

trooper46

I was open carrying while attempting to enter the millstone theater when the manager told me they do not allow firearms in the building. I politely informed that I did not see any signs posted on the door prohibiting carry. He then, rather combatively, told me they aren't required to post and that they received a lot of negative attention on blogs when they did so they took the signs down but kept the policy. He then basicly stated that they wouldn't mess with completely concealed carry but would ask open carriers to leave. I then informed him I would not be spending any money there in the future.

WalkingWolf

He is correct, he does not have to post. It is illegal in NC to carry a firearm into a assembly where a admission fee is charged. This changed somewhat this year if a person has a CHP. If you do not have a permit you are breaking the law, if you do just conceal with your handy dandy permission slip from the guberment.

trooper46

I do have a chp and I know he doesn't have to. I just wanted to make sure people were aware he is exercsising his property right since he is too cowardly to post. I prefer to open carry when possible.

WalkingWolf

Again he DOES NOT HAVE TO POST! IMHO I would prefer that businesses do not post, why would you have a problem with a business not posting, but based on the past law, and possibly current OC is illegal in a theater. You have a permission slip, USE it.

davidmcbeth

Banned
He is correct, he does not have to post. It is illegal in NC to carry a firearm into a assembly where a admission fee is charged. This changed somewhat this year if a person has a CHP. If you do not have a permit you are breaking the law, if you do just conceal with your handy dandy permission slip from the guberment.

On the flip side (not that I agree with this): how can the guberment mess with the property owner's desire to allow OC on his property?

Oooooh, looks like business' property rights do have limits?

trooper46

On the flip side (not that I agree with this): how can the guberment mess with the property owner's desire to allow OC on his property?

Oooooh, looks like business' property rights do have limits?

I'm all for property rights. The whole purpose of this post was simply to identify a business that is anti open carry. Being this open carry.org. not concealed carry .org. At least I thought it was. Since they don't post that they prohibit open carry, I simply wanted to inform my fellow open carriers that this business does not support your right to carry

Excuse me walking wolf if that's an issue.

Last edited:

dmatting

I'm all for property rights. The whole purpose of this post was simply to identify a business that is anti open carry. Being this open carry.org. not concealed carry .org. At least I thought it was. Since they don't post that they prohibit open carry, I simply wanted to inform my fellow open carriers that this business does not support your right to carry

Excuse me walking wolf if that's an issue.

WW's point is that the law has already trumped the property owner's rights in that it is illegal to openly carry in a place where admission is charged. You attempted to enter a theater while open carrying. I can only assume that the theater charges admission (what theater doesn't?). In that case you were breaking state law - no signage is required. The manager could have called the cops without informing you and you could have easily been arrested.

Basically, all theaters in North Carolina are verboten for open carry - whether the owners want to allow it or not.

If you have your CHP, though, you are allowed to carry concealed in places that charge admission as long as there is no sign posted prohibiting such an act.

OC for ME

The theaters that I have been into do not charge to enter the lobby. I have waited 30 minutes or more, in the lobby, when picking up teenagers. The vast majority of folks who go to a theater are going to see a movie and thus would be violating the law it seems if they are OCing.

WalkingWolf

WW's point is that the law has already trumped the property owner's rights in that it is illegal to openly carry in a place where admission is charged. You attempted to enter a theater while open carrying. I can only assume that the theater charges admission (what theater doesn't?). In that case you were breaking state law - no signage is required. The manager could have called the cops without informing you and you could have easily been arrested.

Basically, all theaters in North Carolina are verboten for open carry - whether the owners want to allow it or not.

If you have your CHP, though, you are allowed to carry concealed in places that charge admission as long as there is no sign posted prohibiting such an act.

Thank, you summed up my thoughts exactly! That would be like posting a sign for "No smoking pot", or even just "No Smoking" signs. They do not need to post what is clearly against the law. It is your(General You) responsibility to know the law, not the property owners responsibility to inform you.

I with I believe most members here are anti-signage.

papa bear

back to the same old arguement. there is NO PROPERTY rights in America. there are only laws that dictate what you can and can't do

that is one thing i agree with WOLF on is, thanks to the GRNC, it is still illegal to go into a place where there is an admissions charged, carrying like the constitution says

but i will disagree with WOLF, in the signage issue. i think every where you are not allowed to carry (stupid idea anyway), should have a sign. it let's us know right up front when they are being stupid.

i once started to get gas, and i happened to see the door, and saw a no firearm sign. i put the nozzle up and went next door. of course i gave them a NO GUN = NO MONEY card. but if i hadn't seen the sign i would have spent money there

carolina guy

Not sure that is entirely true...

§ 14-269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(b) This section shall not apply to the following:
(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14-269.
(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment.
(3) A person participating in the event, if the person is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event.
(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event.
(5) A person carrying a handgun if the person has a valid concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, has a concealed handgun permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24, or is exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to G.S. 14-415.25. This subdivision shall not be construed to permit a person to carry a handgun on any premises where the person in legal possession or control of the premises has posted a conspicuous notice prohibiting the carrying of a concealed handgun on the premises in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c).

My (admittedly non-attorney like) interpretation of this would mean that the owner COULD very easily allow OC, if he so chose.:) Obviously, in this case, the owner/manager has made a conscious decision to follow the laws defaults in this situation, and as WW and DM said, no notice is required.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Thanks for the liberal view of the right to life liberty and property.

I don't always find myself agreeing with Papabear...but this one, I have to side with him on it. If the government can take your property when a crime has NOT been committed, then you have no rights to it.

When the government gets to decide what constitutes "due process" when they do a "taking" for the "public good", it just means you are getting the least they think they can get away with and not cause a general uproar/uprising from the serfs. A "right" that the government can take at anytime, is not a "right".

papa bear

I don't always find myself agreeing with Papabear...but this one, I have to side with him on it. If the government can take your property when a crime has NOT been committed, then you have no rights to it.

When the government gets to decide what constitutes "due process" when they do a "taking" for the "public good", it just means you are getting the least they think they can get away with and not cause a general uproar/uprising from the serfs. A "right" that the government can take at anytime, is not a "right".

CAROLINAGUY, i would hate it if everybody agreed with me. some more then others. but i will always consider your good argument, and defend your right to say it

you can also throw in there, taking your property for better taxes

also there are three kinds of property. one for open accesses business, one for closed business and one for residential. the laws dictate exactly what can happen

carolina guy

CAROLINAGUY, i would hate it if everybody agreed with me. some more then others. but i will always consider your good argument, and defend your right to say it

you can also throw in there, taking your property for better taxes

also there are three kinds of property. one for open accesses business, one for closed business and one for residential. the laws dictate exactly what can happen

And for "business" property, you are including "government" in business, correct? :)

carolina guy

not sure if i understand you statement correctly

but no, public property is different. i have always viewed public property as especially, should go by the 2ndA

There is essentially no such thing as "public" property...all property is owned, including government property. The US was founded on commerce, and all the laws are geared towards that end.